AK Rifles banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting together a list of my local family members and closest friends to coordinate with in a SHTF scene. I also made a list of everybody that I know that is also armed. I'm thinking of making a newsletter for my less tactically aware friends to get them to think about taking some SHTF precutions. The realities of the world today have recently made me decide to modify my gun collection from quality to quantity to allow more of my loved ones security options during SHTF. I sold two Krebs KTRs and bought 4 Yugo AKs (2 CAI Yugo underfolders & 2 Yugo fixed stock AKs from builder). I'm also planning to sell my Bobcat BW89 once its off the NFA registry to pay for all the ammo (8,000 rounds) and mags (I have 20 7.62 mags, 10 ak74 mags, 6 HK91 mags, 6 AR mags, 3 FN mags) I ordered. So when its all said and done I'll have two AK74's (including the one 5.45 KTR03S that I kept and an Arsenal) and 4 7.62X39 AK's, an SBR'd AR15, an SBR'd HK51 and my FN 5.7 pistol. I'll have at least 1,000 rds. per long gun and 250 rds. for the pistol. Do you guys think like me when it comes to helping out your non-gun nut friends should a SHTF zombie scene come your way?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The answer to the post title---YES! I have enough.

****. :twisted:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one with Reynolds wrap on the "brain"! The wife just can't get past the look of the horns, though. Don't think she gets the whole viking warrior motif. :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well ........

I think I need a couple more, but everyone I know is pretty certain I've aleady got enough to equip a short company for WWIII!

I disagree, but I probably am okay for SHTF!

regards,
:smile:

G

·
I do not think you need that many firearms for a Hit the Fan situation. Parts, mags, and What they eat (ammo) for the ones you do have are what I believe you need.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I totally concur with GenghisKhan. Use what works for you, feed and care for it well, and it may save your life at some point.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Honestly it doesn't matter how many different models you have, its how many share the same parts, ammo etc. I went all 5.56 on everything except the larger bolt guns. All 9mm on handguns except one.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree, its not how many rifles you have....Its how many mags and ammo you have....

If you are looking at arming many people. You want a common calibre in an inexpensive rifle....Yugo SKSs are gonna be your best bet...A hundred or so bucks and use a common 762 calibre....Reliabe and moderately accurate...especially for defending your "CP"
Having a bunch of rifles in different calibres doesnt make alot of sense, especially if you are arming peiople that arent gun savvy like us.....ammo and mags will get mixed up, in a firefight people will forget which rifle they have as well as a spare parts issue......
I have a 308 vepr as a Designated Marksman Rifle for me
A 5.45 VEPR for the wife. accurate round with little recoil.
And a couple of 7.62s for Others....
my plan now is to stockpile mags, stripper clips, ammo and spare parts.......And train the wife how to shoot

Remember, KISS
Keep It Simple Stupid

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Another thing to think about....12 gauge is one of the more common things your neighbor owns, but doen't have a stockpile for...How many people do you know that got a shotgun from their Dad or Grandfather but at any given time don't have more than a box of ammo for it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Robpiat said:
Another thing to think about....12 gauge is one of the more common things your neighbor owns, but doen't have a stockpile for...How many people do you know that got a shotgun from their Dad or Grandfather but at any given time don't have more than a box of ammo for it.
I am one of those people....I gotta get more shottie shells too....

·
Registered
243 Posts
no.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Guns?

Well, when I had to evacuate from Rita last fall, I only took 2 guns - my Glock 19 and my SP 101 in 3" .357. I took pistols that were rock solid reliable - that would go bang everytime and in common enough calibers.

This hurricane season, if I have to evacuate again, those two are again coming with me - but so is my WASR 10 with 5-6 30 rd mags fully loaded.
Well, maybe 7-10 mags, at the rate I keep buying them :mrgreen:

·
Registered
38 Posts
i personally think i don't have enough. then again i'm only 19.
but heres what i got:
Weatherby Vangaurd .308 w/ burris 3x-9x-40mm and 200rnds
Mossberg 500 12ga with slugs and buckshot
Savage stevens .22lr pump-action
and when it gets in My new Vepr K 7.62x39mm w/ 1000 rds of FMJ and HP
and when it gets in 100 rounds of steel-core Armor-Piercers

·
Registered
389 Posts
I always thought the answer was two more than you will ever own. :smile:

·
Registered
10 Posts
accomplice said:
I've been putting together a list of my local family members and closest friends to coordinate with in a SHTF scene. I also made a list of everybody that I know that is also armed. I'm thinking of making a newsletter for my less tactically aware friends to get them to think about taking some SHTF precutions. The realities of the world today have recently made me decide to modify my gun collection from quality to quantity to allow more of my loved ones security options during SHTF. I sold two Krebs KTRs and bought 4 Yugo AKs (2 CAI Yugo underfolders & 2 Yugo fixed stock AKs from builder). I'm also planning to sell my Bobcat BW89 once its off the NFA registry to pay for all the ammo (8,000 rounds) and mags (I have 20 7.62 mags, 10 ak74 mags, 6 HK91 mags, 6 AR mags, 3 FN mags) I ordered. So when its all said and done I'll have two AK74's (including the one 5.45 KTR03S that I kept and an Arsenal) and 4 7.62X39 AK's, an SBR'd AR15, an SBR'd HK51 and my FN 5.7 pistol. I'll have at least 1,000 rds. per long gun and 250 rds. for the pistol. Do you guys think like me when it comes to helping out your non-gun nut friends should a SHTF zombie scene come your way?

I started off on my survivalist mindset just like you are, and it was the wrong way...........................

Anyone who has known me for any amount of time knows what my opinions, and views are. I used to think that I could arm friends and family for my own protection, mutual support. I had at one time seven AK's, two M14/M1A's, four SKS's, two FAL's, three AR 15's, one AR 180, three UZI'z, three 1917 Enfields, three Mosins, one FR8 Mauser, two 8mm mausers, one Hakim, two twelve guage shotguns, five .22 rifles, and numerous pistols in various calibers. I had "collected" all these along with spare parts, ammo, food, and many other supplies that I considered necessary. Also, since I was a "collector", all of the "assault" weapons were pre-1989 import ban firearms. There was alot of money tied up in weapons that I could never use, or move if I had to.

I kept on this path until one of my close friends, who wouldn't make even the most rudementary of preparations, said one evening in a conversation: "If sh** breaks bad I know where I'm going, because I know you'll take care of us". The "us" he was refering to was his family, and not just his immediate family either. It then dawned on me that most of my "friends" and distant family, thought the same way. In a SHTF scenario, I would become what would amount to a Survivalist Welfare Center. So that one comment, by that friend, got me to thinking real hard. It was then that I decided I would no longer be a "collector", but would become a true survivalist. I sold off everything but one "go-to" rifle for myself, one rifle for my wife, sidearms for both of us, one 12 guage shotgun, and a .22lr rifle. I also kept only the spare parts, and ammo for the weapons I chose to keep. By doing this, I have probably improved my families survivability a hundred times over. Because the money I was spending on firearms and supplies to arm others, has been used to stockpile ALOT more supplies for my family, including a sizable amount of solid "exchange" materials (gold and silver).

If you want "mutual support" there are plenty of other like-minded folks around who are also making preparations, just get out there and find them. Also there is one more thing to think about if you are "preparing for others". And that is.........If you have it and they don't, they may want it. And that could turn real ugly after you've armed them.....................

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the friend who changed my way of thinking with his comment about "taking care of him." Ever since he found out that I wouldn't be there for him to leach off, he's been making preparations for himself and his own family. So I'll still have "mutual support" from him, but this time he'll be bringing his own resources.

G

·
Thats all very true, SIXPACK! I've got way more guns than I'll ever need
and for a long time I rationalized them by thinking I'll need to arm family
and friends in a SHTF situation. However, in a true survival situation
those people would be close to worthless if they don't shoot and train
with those types of weapons on a regular basis.

So really all the money spent on guns and gear would be better served on other, less glamorous, survival needs. I too feel I will be tagged as part of the survival "welfare" chain by family and friends since they
know I won't turn them away. Better to have the food, water, medical
supplies as well as means to keep warm and clothed than all the extra
guns. I still stock up on ammo and magazines but more for my own use
rather than some imagined platoon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.