AK Rifles banner

Do you care much about the kits at the vendors anymore?

• Yes, I still look forward to buying new kits from vendors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, buying kits from vendors has lost its appeal.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to love looking forward to seeing what kind of new kits were hitting the primary market such as Copes or Apex or DPH or whomever (not secondary like forum trading posts).

Ever since the lowly Romy kit broke the 200 dollar barrier, I have almost completely lost interest in buying kits.

I'm at the point where my dealer has used AKs for not much more than parts. For example, there is a CUR2 (5.45x39) in very nice shape at my local dealer for 389. He will sell it to me for about 379 out the door so why even bother with a Tantal kit for 369 which will then need to be put together and so on.

I have a few kits waiting in the wings so I will have my building fix when I want to (only 11 kits but I don't build frequently).

I bought the kits to get a variety of guns but the big thing was the bang for the buck. I liked the idea of a lot of guns for cheap.

How are you feeling about kits on the primary market?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i have mixed feelings now that barrels are chopped. i had one polish uf built and the cost to have it built came out to about as much as a new one would be. i kind of had to do it peacemeal i guess.

i used to buy kits for my own personal build, but my kit fever was FAL's, but i need to diversify into ak's they really are the best or 2nd best AR in the world! the kits i get are for personal builds over time, that's my story and im sticking to it! :goof:

next ones will be an ak74s from henderson and a psl. i might have to liquidate some things for a norinco ndm 86 in 7.62......JUST TO HAVE! :twisted:

i will....however, at least get one ak74s kit from this next batch, could be the last! :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ever since the kits no longer have the barrels my interest has wained somewhat. Kits coming in with no barrel or a chopped barrel increases the amount of work you need to do by locating a barrel, pressing off/on/pinning the sight block, gas block and front sight. Then you have to actually set the head space instead of just checking and drill for the barrel pin. I have yet to build a kit that didn't come with the original barrel. :sad:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Need some Prozac around here lately.

The fun for me is largely in the building itself. Cut barrel kits give me an even greater sense of achievement when I complete one.

Look at guys like turbothis, his innovative methods and business sense have made milled guns an affordable possibility.

I really think that as long as the laws/interpretations remain stable the market will figure it out and produce "affordable" kits again. Maybe not as cheap as $69 AMD-65s, but I expect the "right price" will be when we'll be able to build for slightly less than a new rifle.

Hang in there and watch for when the dollar comes up. In the mean time convert a Saiga or something if you want value.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Has lost it since kits almost cost as much as built rifles.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
From what I have read in another thread, the $130 Yugo milled kits from APEX sound promising. I have ordered one and hope to get a nice one. They are missing the buttstock, but most seem satisfied with barrel condition. They also have Yugo barrels for $10 a pop. Can't beat these prices if you can have a good shooter built.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm with the other guys about the barrels. It's more about originality for me, since I don't yet build my own. The barrel is a major component, that is the one part everyone was happy about to be able to be kept original.

I can see how even though you have less original part in your build, the builder could actually still feel good by still having a complete rifle with "some" foreign parts, and sticking it to them cause they didn't want you to have it at all.

It's just so insanely stupid...don't worry, I don't need pills. :smile:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The barrel ban may not stick.
More parts kits may come in again cheap.

This stuff always goes in waves anyways. I'm not worried too much.

Certain kits come in cheap, they dry up, price goes up.
Different kits come in cheap, cycle repeats itself.
Just sit tight till the next wave :smile:

·
Registered
67 Posts
CGSteve said:
I'm with the other guys about the barrels. It's more about originality for me, since I don't yet build my own. The barrel is a major component, that is the one part everyone was happy about to be able to be kept original.
Man I'll disagree with you there...
I've seen some barrels that looked like sewer pipes.
Granted most seem to be pretty good, but I'd prefer a brand new barrel, if it was quality.
It really depends on price.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Gonzo_Beyondo said:

and who is going to stop the ATF?

the only laws congress passes, are laws saying, "the democrats dick is bigger than the republicans" then the republicans respond with "nuh uh, ours is bigger" and nothing gets done. :sad:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Gonzo_Beyondo said:
CGSteve said:
Man I'll disagree with you there...
I've seen some barrels that looked like sewer pipes.
Granted most seem to be pretty good, but I'd prefer a brand new barrel, if it was quality.
It really depends on price.
Well, depending on condition of course. The only ones I've seen that were terrible were the M70 variants. I guess I'll rephrase, if both were in good condition, I'd rather have an original factory barrel from that particular country and for that particular AK variant than a new made barrel in order to comply with a nonsense law.

·
Registered
67 Posts
catsailer40 said:
Gonzo_Beyondo said:

and who is going to stop the ATF?

the only laws congress passes, are laws saying, "the democrats dick is bigger than the republicans" then the republicans respond with "nuh uh, ours is bigger" and nothing gets done. :sad:

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets ... &issue=018

Among its other provisions, H.R. 4900:

* Clarifies the standard for “willful” violations—allowing penalties for intentional, purposeful violations of the law, but not for simple paperwork mistakes.
* Improves the process for imposing penalties, notably by allowing FFLs to appeal BATFE penalties to a neutral administrative law judge, rather than to an employee of BATFE itself.
* Allows a licensee a period of time to liquidate inventory when he goes out of business.
* Allows a grace period for people taking over an existing firearms business to correct problems in the business’s records—so if a person inherits a family gun store (for example), the new owner couldn’t be punished for the previous owner’s recordkeeping violations.
* Reforms the procedures for consideration of federal firearms license applications. Under H.R. 4900, denial of an application will require notification to the applicant, complete with reasons for the denial. Additionally, an applicant will be allowed to provide supplemental information and to have a hearing on the application.
* Codifies limits on disclosure of firearms trace data—which Congress has already limited through a series of appropriations riders over the past three years, out of concern for gun owners’ privacy and the confidentiality of law enforcement records. The provision would still allow law enforcement agencies full access to trace data for bona fide criminal investigations.
* Requires BATFE to establish clear investigative guidelines.
* Clarifies the licensing requirement for gunsmiths distinguishing between repair and other gunsmith work and manufacture of a firearm.
* Prevents disclosure of information in FFL records outside of law enforcement agencies.
* Focuses BATFE’s efforts on violations of firearms, explosives, arson, alcohol and tobacco laws, rather than on broader areas such as gang or drug investigations.
* Eliminates a provision of the Youth Handgun Safety Act that requires those under 18 to have written permission to use a handgun for lawful purposes (such as competitive shooting or safety training)—even when the parent or guardian is present.
* Permanently bans taxes or “user fees” on background checks by the federal instant check system—fees that Congress has prohibited in annual appropriations riders since 1998.
* Permanently bans creation of a centralized electronic index of dealers’ records—a threat to gun owners’ privacy that Congress has barred through appropriations riders for a decade.
* Allows importation and transfer of machineguns by firearm and ammunition manufacturers for use in developing or testing firearms and ammunition. In particular, ammunition manufacturers fulfilling government contracts need to ensure that their ammunition works reliably.
* Allows transfer and possession of machineguns for use by federal security contractors. Additionally, H.R. 4900 provides for the transfer and possession of machineguns by professional film and theatrical organizations.
* Repeals the Brady Act’s “interim” waiting period provisions, which expired in 1998.
* Gives BATFE sole responsibility for receiving reports of multiple handgun sales. (Currently, dealers also have to report multiple sales to state or local agencies, a requirement that has shown little or no law enforcement value.)
* Restores a policy that allowed importation of barrels, frames and receivers from non-importable firearms, when they can be used as repair or replacement parts.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Gonzo_Beyondo said:
catsailer40 said:
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets ... &issue=018[/url]

Among its other provisions, H.R. 4900:

* Clarifies the standard for “willful” violations—allowing penalties for intentional, purposeful violations of the law, but not for simple paperwork mistakes.
* Improves the process for imposing penalties, notably by allowing FFLs to appeal BATFE penalties to a neutral administrative law judge, rather than to an employee of BATFE itself.
* Allows a licensee a period of time to liquidate inventory when he goes out of business.
* Allows a grace period for people taking over an existing firearms business to correct problems in the business’s records—so if a person inherits a family gun store (for example), the new owner couldn’t be punished for the previous owner’s recordkeeping violations.
* Reforms the procedures for consideration of federal firearms license applications. Under H.R. 4900, denial of an application will require notification to the applicant, complete with reasons for the denial. Additionally, an applicant will be allowed to provide supplemental information and to have a hearing on the application.
* Codifies limits on disclosure of firearms trace data—which Congress has already limited through a series of appropriations riders over the past three years, out of concern for gun owners’ privacy and the confidentiality of law enforcement records. The provision would still allow law enforcement agencies full access to trace data for bona fide criminal investigations.
* Requires BATFE to establish clear investigative guidelines.
* Clarifies the licensing requirement for gunsmiths distinguishing between repair and other gunsmith work and manufacture of a firearm.
* Prevents disclosure of information in FFL records outside of law enforcement agencies.
* Focuses BATFE’s efforts on violations of firearms, explosives, arson, alcohol and tobacco laws, rather than on broader areas such as gang or drug investigations.
* Eliminates a provision of the Youth Handgun Safety Act that requires those under 18 to have written permission to use a handgun for lawful purposes (such as competitive shooting or safety training)—even when the parent or guardian is present.
* Permanently bans taxes or “user fees” on background checks by the federal instant check system—fees that Congress has prohibited in annual appropriations riders since 1998.
* Permanently bans creation of a centralized electronic index of dealers’ records—a threat to gun owners’ privacy that Congress has barred through appropriations riders for a decade.
* Allows importation and transfer of machineguns by firearm and ammunition manufacturers for use in developing or testing firearms and ammunition. In particular, ammunition manufacturers fulfilling government contracts need to ensure that their ammunition works reliably.
* Allows transfer and possession of machineguns for use by federal security contractors. Additionally, H.R. 4900 provides for the transfer and possession of machineguns by professional film and theatrical organizations.
* Repeals the Brady Act’s “interim” waiting period provisions, which expired in 1998.
* Gives BATFE sole responsibility for receiving reports of multiple handgun sales. (Currently, dealers also have to report multiple sales to state or local agencies, a requirement that has shown little or no law enforcement value.)
* Restores a policy that allowed importation of barrels, frames and receivers from non-importable firearms, when they can be used as repair or replacement parts.[/quote:358zodh0]

congress walked out on bringing up a vote on the energy crisis... you really think they give a shit about some small time bill, especially about guns? to borrow from "landfill" in beerfest, i very much doubt that playboy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
catsailer40 said:
congress walked out on bringing up a vote on the energy crisis... you really think they give a shit about some small time bill, especially about guns? to borrow from "landfill" in beerfest, i very much doubt that playboy.
So get off your ass and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Gonzo_Beyondo said:
catsailer40 said:
So get off your ass and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
like what? vote a democrat into office? my senators are going to be voted out becuase they SUCK. however, they already support this bill. nothing more i can do.

i am already exploring other alternatives on parts kits options. im not going to discuss, but i am looking into it. of course this really only benefits me, and maybe my close friends, but still. still have to work out the paperwork details and other stuff. it would only be small time, most likely not even for profit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
like what? vote a democrat into office? my senators are going to be voted out becuase they SUCK. however, they already support this bill. nothing more i can do.
Really?

You can somehow bypass importation laws to benefit you and your close friends...

But you can't manage to write letters to benefit you and the country as a whole? Everything you need to know in order to DO MORE is laid out for here clear as crystal - http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Feder ... px?id=3336 Just admit it... it's easier to whine about how "they won't do that" and "they didn't even do that" and do nothing... instead of YOU doing something about "them". I'm sick of this bullshit. "They" are accountable to "US"!

I've got you pegged as "All talk", no need to reply further... it'll be met with disregard.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts