AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you guys use your AK's in competition.......

No, not High Power or DCM, but "action" style matches.

I hold an IDPA based rifle side match alongside our regular IDPA matches here locally.

I always bring out at least one AK to use. I usually come in the top 5, and the last time out actually won using my Arsenal SLR-105A1 with iron sights against a bunch of guys using wiz-banged out AR's.

Longest shots are typically 60-70 yards or so, but I usually have the course of fire set up requiring head shots on the IDPA targets, which is pretty challenging when the adrenaline is kicking and you've been running around some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, but I would like to try it one of these days. I haven't got to the point where I can shoot my AK as accurately at speed as I can my ARs

·
Registered
551 Posts
not yet.... :wink:

there's a local arfcom friendly range that does 3 gun once a month, $15 per match, not sure why I haven't gone yet. :neutral:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I used to shoot the IPSC Combat Matches,closest thing to an AK I ever shot with was a Galil AR.Damn I miss that one.................... :sad:

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I used to shoot a lot in 3-gun and tactical carbine matches, until the members decided to concentrate on IDPA and relegate the assault weapons to very seldom.

I like the action shooting. I wish another club would form dedicated to shooting assault rifles in competition.

This is a town that doesn't attract much in the way of gun clubs, i.e., you might get ten members. So it looks like my competing days are done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have and do. but i never win, but i do shoot clean when i do im just not fast.

i know a few of the Mo crew use ak.

we hold shoots once a month, or used to.

http://www.fireforeffect.biz/

some pics

Ronald

·
Registered
156 Posts
Il HTF 'action' type shoot few months ago. VEPRK baby! (Got first place too)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Yep....competing with my AK47 and soon my AKS74 in modified IPSC rifle style matches/tacrifle matches and with some succes too in a .223 dominant world.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outstanding pics pmdye!!

I'll be using my Arsenal SLR-105A1 in the rifle side match this Sunday at the IDPA match I help run.

Any VA guys want to come on by and see what's going on, feel free!

·
Registered
89 Posts
thanks Templar, i was going thru some of my pics but most of the stuff is ar,p90 or the other stuff people run and CMMG has, the guys arent into AK to much, i guess if you life is making and selling AR i cant blame them the have 2 full auto ak, the krink and then a regular AKM. Any guys From Mo please come and join us once a month, i dont shoot much im usually cooking,range officering or taking picture or video.

Ronald

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I am going to have to make it to one of the shoots. I am an hour north of where you are though. I have only shot one match and it was with an Ar and I did poorly. With the slowed mag change I'd almost be scared to try it with an Ak.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
h8mtv said:
I am going to have to make it to one of the shoots. I am an hour north of where you are though. I have only shot one match and it was with an Ar and I did poorly. With the slowed mag change I'd almost be scared to try it with an Ak.
Dont worry about that man, it's all about having fun.

Hell, I have guys bring out M1 Garands and SKS's sometimes.

First, "relax", and get comfortable, and concentrate on accuracy.

Then, speed comes later.

You're always more than welcome man.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I Shoot IPSC style matches here in Kentucky, WHen there is a side match I use my AK. I have competed in matchs at the Knob Creek GUn Range with my AK during the Machine Gun Shoots.

Death Merchant

·
Registered
790 Posts
Templar said:
....it's all about having fun....
+1!

I've shot both the AR15 and AK47 (note: the one that makes the big holes) at Templar's matches.

Performance has ranged from good, to bad, to ugly, depending on the occasion AND APPARENTLY WITHOUT REGARD TO THE WEAPON BEING USED.

I've done enough off-match testing to confirm that I'm inherently faster with the AR (well, duh...), but likewise, without the time factor involved, I can shoot just as accurately with either. (Note 2: these are both iron-sights only.)

The match outcome seems to depend mostly on whether I'm in my Happy Place at the time.

Plan to bring both guns this Sunday, and to shoot both twice if time allows. Should be fun, regardless whatever else happens (or fails to).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts