AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Yes. It came with the original instruction manual. Bought it so I could use up this:

View attachment 337660

Trying not to.
Trying not to, or not trying to? ;)

I give you the benefit of the doubt as to not really knowing what you have. More experienced members are interpreting your post as, 'Look at this pre ban Steyr Maadi I bought! Let me show it off, but in a way that makes me look modest and humble.'

$2500 is a very good price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trying not to, or not trying to? ;)

I give you the benefit of the doubt as to not really knowing what you have. More experienced members are interpreting your post as, 'Look at this pre ban Steyr Maadi I bought! Let me show it off, but in a way that makes me look modest and humble.'

$2500 is a very good price.

Great information esh21167. Didn't know that they brought that much. Debating whether I should shoot it now. Thanks a lot....

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
You did just fine, even not knowing what the current market is. If you want to rag on an AK, do mag dumps, throw it around, etc., then I'd buy another AK to run that ammo through. BTW, you need to determine if that ammunition is corrosive.

Reactions: MLK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You did just fine, even not knowing what the current market is. If you want to rag on an AK, do mag dumps, throw it around, etc., then I'd buy another AK to run that ammo through. BTW, you need to determine if that ammunition is corrosive.
Most Chinese ammo is corrosive or mildly corrosive at best. When shooting corrosive ammo, I always clean with soapy water and rinse then dry asap after shooting. Never had a problem with rust. Not a mag dump guy. Like to shoot at paper targets and try to get a good group. Hot barrels do not group well.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Unless it's 'Like New In Box' and unfired, I'd fire it, but like Bret said, don't use it as a beater.

I was a little shocked at those GB auction prices also, but I also know Steyr Maadis were $2500 before the scamdemic panic.

I'd personally not shoot the corrosive through it, but that's just my OCD. Kind of like running Walmart brand oil in your Ferrari. Sell the case of ammo. No expert, but I'd bet that's steel core (no AP though) and some people will pay a premium for it because there is no more being imported. You might be able to buy 1.5 - 2x as much non-corrosive ammo for what you get for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unless it's 'Like New In Box' and unfired, I'd fire it, but like Bret said, don't use it as a beater.

I was a little shocked at those GB auction prices also, but I also know Steyr Maadis were $2500 before the scamdemic panic.

I'd personally not shoot the corrosive through it, but that's just my OCD. Kind of like running Walmart brand oil in your Ferrari. Sell the case of ammo. No expert, but I'd bet that's steel core (no AP though) and some people will pay a premium for it because there is no more being imported. You might be able to buy 1.5 - 2x as much non-corrosive ammo for what you get for it.
Thank you esh21167 for your input. I have read that Chinese surplus 7.62x39 ammo is some of the best out there. I am OCD also when it comes to cleaning my rifles. The soapy water/rinse/dry works very well for me on the small, removable parts (especially the gas tube) as I pay attention to the details. Barrel and non-detachable parts get cleaned with a water based solvent. Also inspect/ clean again the next day. Have tried to sell the ammo before. Most don’t want to pay a premium over the ex-Russian block ammo. Have to find the right guy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OP, you hit a home run for a first AK not to mention the collector market. Congrats.
Nice Steyrs hovered around $3 - $3.5K long before the wuflu. $2,500 would've still been a fantastic deal in 2018. Ask me how I know. 💸💸💸

1 - 20 of 23 Posts