AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try putting your used bakelite in the dishwasher(when the wife isn't home) it cleans it better than hours of scrubbing I was amazed when I did all mine. After they are washed they need to be thouroghly oiled as the semi exposed wood chips will be stripped of oil, but the difference is amazing. I would show before and after but I did all mine at once :sad: You should've seen the dishwasher loaded with them it was sweet. You could also wipe them with stain after washing to slightly change hue make them redder or oranger or more purple to make them match better.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I gotta try that. Thanks for the idea.

I ran the stripped aluminium magazine bodies in the washer . Quick and painless way to get rid of the dirt and crud.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
0000 Steel wool is also good for smoothing out the scuff marks that are found on some of the bakelite. Shines them up and overall evens out the finish. Just go easy and don't grind the hell out of them and it's Idiot proof.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
don't use the heat/dry cycle on the dishwasher.

after the thoroughly dry, you can put some Johnson's paste wax on them

If you sand them, you will remove the "glaze" from the outside. you can apply a light coat of lacquer semi gloss and they will shine right up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts