AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my AK47 for a few years now and have cleaned it often. I was looking thru a manual on how to disassemble/assemble an AK47 and one of the steps said to remove cleaning rod. Why do that? I've disassembled mine OK without removing the rod.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Any field manual is going to assume you intend to use the cleaning rod to clean the rifle and/or assume you might remove the front handguard to do a deep clean.

Remember those manuals are intended for a Soviet/Chinese/Polish/etc... conscript to read. And they're assuming he's using one of these cleaning kits or one like it.

DFS-302-2T.jpg

Not some American who has an aftermarket cleaning kit with a disassembled rod he picked up at Sportsmans.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
There’s nothing to clean under the lower handguard, and removing it’s not part of a field strip per the manuals.

The only reason to remove the rod is to use it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not some American who has an aftermarket cleaning kit with a disassembled rod he picked up at Sportsmans.
Yep, the same American that has never used a surplus rifles cleaning kit EVER, but at the gun show will demand $150 discount on any riffle that doesn’t have a cleaning kit in the but stock.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
I don't mind if the cleaning kit is missing, but what's with all these guys lately selling AKs without the rod?

It's not natural.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts