AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often read about someone not dimpling their receiver before riveting.
What do you use to dimple one?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I make my own flats so they are not dimpled at all until after I bend them. Once they're bent then I press the magwell dimples. I have a set of dies that I had made to make the magwell dimples... I don't have a way to make the "X" & "Y" dimples or the dimple at the selector. I'm not a "purist" so this doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
They may also be referring to dimpling the rivet holes. Some rivets are countersunk, others are not. The countersunk rivets require the holes in the receiver to be dimpled (to match the trunion) before installing the rivet. I just use a hardened steel ball bearing. Can't recall the size -- it's approx the size of a BB.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Before I got this....

http://ak-builder.com/modules.php?name= ... age&pid=16

I used a large punch that I found in my tool box. I just happened to have it and it matched up with the taper of the countersunk rivet holes in the trunnions. Worked ok. Sometimes the trunnion would walk on me, even with rivets in the other holes.

Since I got the rivet jig I've never looked back.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Big punch, big hammer, big swing of hammer! :wink:

Otherwise the AK Builder riveting jig thingy has a tapered punch bit that can be used to do it. Just press it into the rivet hole and the reciever will be nicely dimpled.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
BrotherJethro said:
They may also be referring to dimpling the rivet holes. Some rivets are countersunk, others are not. The countersunk rivets require the holes in the receiver to be dimpled (to match the trunion) before installing the rivet. I just use a hardened steel ball bearing. Can't recall the size -- it's approx the size of a BB.
Doh!!!!!! :oops: I didn't even think about that...

·
Registered
344 Posts
BrotherJethro said:
The countersunk rivets require the holes in the receiver to be dimpled (to match the trunion) before installing the rivet.
I have it on expert opinion that:

NO factory ever dimpled receivers prior to installing rivets. The taperd shank on the rivet pulls the receiver into the hole.

I have always been dimpling mine as my non-factory receivers are too hard...

Here is what they should look like, apparently. I do like them flush instead though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts