AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, can someone tell me what the difference is in the tab height on the single mag on the right and the other three? Is the short tabbed mag for the AK102 and the other three for Saiga .223 rifles that lack a bullet ramp?

Also noticed the mag on the right has the inspection stamp on one side, while the other three have it on the other.

I'm probably missing something pretty obvious here, all information appreciated.[/FONT]

·
Registered
394 Posts
You are correct. The three mags are saiga 223 mags. Rusmilitary.com had them for awhile they are 30rd'ers for the saiga's and since saiga's do NOT have bullet guides they made the mags this way. The other must be for the AK-102 IMO.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rob, I didn't have a clue. Looks like these will go with an unconverted Saiga .223 I need to sell. Got the calendar today and its on the wall looking fantastic.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
All 4 of them are Saiga's...the one on the right has been converted by cutting down the feed lip...I've seen them with proof marks varying from being on the left side, to right side and with nothing at all...Rob's right in that a true 102 mag would be stamped .556 Nato and not .223 rem and it would be located on the upper portion of the mag on the left side, not on the right side like these 4...also a true 102 would have the regular izzy triangle with arrow inside stamped in the usual spot on the lower right side of the mag and these 4 saiga's all have the commercial izzy logo stamped on the lower left side of the mag...you don't see alot of these Saiga 223's floating around...

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
...you don't see alot of these Saiga 223's floating around...
Dave, thanks for the additional info. Just to clarify, does the above statement I quoted infer you do in fact see more of the 5,56mm marked magazines "floating around" in comparison to the Saiga versions? I have not really kept up with what mags are common and what mags are rare in regards to these modern styles. I figured i was lucky to get my set of .223's when I did. Are the 101 mags easier to locate? If so, maybe I need to look around for at least one example. I have a 101 project I need to complete some day, or sell.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I, like Rob, have yet to see or even hear of an actual 101/102 mag marked .556 Nato in the US (so I would classify them as uber rare)...I just realized that I've been refering to "102" mags when in fact the same mag services the Ak 101 and Ak 102 (same mag, different guns...my bad)...world wide distribution of these 101/102 mags I can't comment on that personally but I trust Rob's insight implicitly...my comment on the Saiga versions (.223Rem) was a reference to the fact that though they are here, you just don't seem to see them offered up for sale very frequently (not uber rare but scarce)...I sold off 2 of the Saiga's last year and it really surprised what they brought...oh, and if you score a source for the 101/102's I hope you remember this aged old mag whore...:cool:...

·
Registered
272 Posts
There are several countries using 5.56 AK-100's now. The 223 Saiga uses a 7.62 receiver shell and trunnion. I'm not sure that the military rifles do. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I did some chronograph testing with a 1 in 9 Saiga and a 1 in 7 Bulgarian AK with the same barrel lengths and the faster rifling twist rate of the Bulgarian barrel really slowed down the muzzle velocity. Considering that the Saiga is sold as a hunting rifle and most 223 hunting ammunition uses fairly light weight bullets, the slower rifling twist rate makes sense. The Russians claim a higher muzzle velocity with the AKJ-104 than the Bulgarian 5.56 AK with SS109 ammunition, even though the Russians claim the AK-104 has a 1 in 7 rifling twist rate. A friend tested a 16 inch barreled AR15 against a Sig 556 for with a 16 inch barrel for velocity and the Sig had a muzzle velocity 150 fps faster with the same ammunition. The main difference in the rifles is the Sig has a tighter chamber with a shorter chamber throat than the AR15.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Back from the dead, I finally found what I want to do with my second AK-102/104/105 front sight block. Build a 102... I see these mags around and figured I could make some sort of jig to mill the front down.

I would gladly use .223 marked mags but I would rather military magazines. Did you guys sort this out?

Also the Saiga .223 version's receiver is just a AK74 receiver right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts