AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference besides the the color and step in the wood where it inserts into the reciever? I ordered the pmk butt from winslow and they sent me the lighter colored stocks that say they are for a AKM. I have the pmks uf but was gonna intall fixed stocks instead. I bought the kit from dans ammo. If its just the color I will keep them as I plan to refinish anyways. But if the shape is all wrong I dont want it to turn out looking like a mutt.

Steve

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
First of all, the color has nothing to do with the function/application of the stock. Some are lighter, some are dark others are inbetween.

Remember, they made possibly millions of these so there will be some variation.

Basically there are two types of nonfolding stocks available, depending on the receiver type, one for a milled and one for a stamped receiver.

Stocks for a milled receiver have a different shape and mount to the rifle in a unique way.
This is a butt for a milled rec.

Stamped receiver butts look like this.

Since you got them from Winslow, I am sure he sent you the right stuff.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
To add a bit and border on redundancy from what Z said...

Every country had their own specific designation for their Kalashnikov variants, both AK, AKS, AKM and AKMS.

We just associate the model AKM for all the modernized AK-47.

Poland's designation for the AKM-47 is PMKM...the underfolder PMKMS

The designation for their AK-47 is the PMK

Also there is from what I've learned recently, 3 variations in the the PMKMS model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cool I got the right ones then.. Z-recto I think I might have you refinish these for me if you are doing the polish stuff.. I would prefer a darker color similar to the stocks that came with the kit not the light butt that i got from winslow. Im going to be leaving thursday to go on vacation and tomorrow would be the last day I could ship them. If I could do that It would be greaat as the 2 weeks Im gone would be wasted time on the builds anyways. Might save me some time when I get back. Email mail me if you want [email protected]

Thanks steve

·
Registered
689 Posts
To add a bit and border on redundancy from what Z said...

Every country had their own specific designation for their Kalashnikov variants, both AK, AKS, AKM and AKMS.

We just associate the model AKM for all the modernized AK-47.

Poland's designation for the AKM-47 is PMKM...the underfolder PMKMS

The designation for their AK-47 is the PMK

Also there is from what I've learned recently, 3 variations in the the PMKMS model.

Yeah, golden shovel for me.

But I will make it straight as I've done in some other topics.

The name pmK stands for pistolet maszynowy Kałasznikowa (eng. Kalashnikov Submachine Gun) later changed to kbk AK/AKS and kbk AKM/AKMS and other where kbk = karabinek (eng. carbine) there wasn't in Polish Military literature such think as "PMKM" or "PMKMS" (there was km PK/PKM/PKMN but this is different gun).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts