AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the extractor on a WASR-2 and the pin that held it in just wouldent come out, i tried very very short and perfectly sized punches and it would bend them when i went to a 1.5 pound hammer. I ended up heating up the bolt in that exact area little by little and trying again, well i ended up with the bolt head not quite red, just at the edge of glowing or not at all to get the pin out. Now i was wondering if my headspace would start growing due to possibly removing the heat treat from the lugs. I let it cool down on its own from that temp slowly.

·
Registered
446 Posts
if you got it red or close and let it cool slowly you have removed the temper out of the steel and annealed it. i don't know about the headspace but with out rehardening and tempering it's gonna wear out real quick best case, worst case who knows. its a hard call dude i think i would get a new bolt. :neutral:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Buy a new bolt. It's inexpensive compared to eye surgery / facial reconstruction.

·
Registered
462 Posts
5thShock hit the nail on the head.
You always remove the firing retaining pin & firing pin before you remove the extractor retainer pin & extractor.
Because the firing retaining pin overlaps the extractor retainer pin to help hold it in.

Dude, get another bolt!

If you have a buttstock cleaning kit it has a pin removal tool in it. That should be all you need to strip your bolt.
5thShock's post has a good link that shows the procedure, but any more than light pressure will mess up something.
I insert the punch (from the cleaning kit) into the bottom hole then put my hand over the whole bolt & pin, then tap on a hard surface the pins will come right out. With my hand over the bolt (like making a fist) the pins come out & there is not a chance of losing one.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you remove the firing pin first?
no you cant remove the firing pin untill youve taken the first retention pin out. the first pin is what im talking about would not move. the pin that actually holds the extractor basicly fell out.

If you have a buttstock cleaning kit it has a pin removal tool in it. That should be all you need to strip your bolt.
I broke/bent two of those, then shortened them, and broke them again.

when i got the pin out it had knurling on it, dont know if that is std. or not.

anyway heat was the last option i tried every mechanical means that is practical. The thing didnt get red, not even dark red. Protocol for annealing is to get it cherry red, and it was not visibly glowing at all, but was changing surface colors a little. If i knew that i could assume it was 4140 and go by the tempatures for that, i would retreat it myself.

I think i'll hold the thing away from my face for at least 1 magazine, then pull the bolt and look for peining/setting back of the lugs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Here is a video showing how to strip a AK47 bolt.
Notice how much effort it takes to remove the pins.
The first pin that needs to come out can only go up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSAiqpkkQso

I think i'll hold the thing away from my face for at least 1 magazine, then pull the bolt and look for peining/setting back of the lugs.
What is the price of a bolt compared to a hand & a new gun?
If it was knurled did the pin reseat properly?

·
Registered
446 Posts
LeibstandarteAdH said:
Did you remove the firing pin first?
no you cant remove the firing pin untill youve taken the first retention pin out. the first pin is what im talking about would not move. the pin that actually holds the extractor basicly fell out.

[quote:321t8csj]If you have a buttstock cleaning kit it has a pin removal tool in it. That should be all you need to strip your bolt.
I broke/bent two of those, then shortened them, and broke them again.

when i got the pin out it had knurling on it, dont know if that is std. or not.

anyway heat was the last option i tried every mechanical means that is practical. The thing didnt get red, not even dark red. Protocol for annealing is to get it cherry red, and it was not visibly glowing at all, but was changing surface colors a little. If i knew that i could assume it was 4140 and go by the tempatures for that, i would retreat it myself.

I think i'll hold the thing away from my face for at least 1 magazine, then pull the bolt and look for peining/setting back of the lugs.[/quote:321t8csj]

your original post says it was at the edge of glowing. implying several pretty colors above the temper color of either 4140 or 4130(blue). if this is true you have softened it. for 40 bucks i'd call it a learning experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts