AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Probably have to turn down the RSB journal to fit an AKM RSB. I believe the gas port is 90 degree vs the 45 degree AKM gas block in your kit too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes, the rsb journal will have to be turned down. It's the larger variety as found on milled pattern rifles.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
It also has a 90 degree gas port and the barrel is not threaded.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well crap. Looks like I'll be selling this barrel. Which barrel would be the appropriate one for this polish kit?

Edit: The gas port on the barrel is 90 degrees whereas the gas port on the gas block is 45 degrees.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
There are not many Romanian virgin barrels "floating around" these days. The last ones available AFAIK., were at Robert RTG and the were $180 and lasted a heartbeat before sold out. Most go for $200-$225.

The SLR 95's are nice barrels and.,you could use the SLR95 barrel on your Polish kit but it would be a nonstandard build and you would have to populate it with a different set of barrel components.
AK47 RSB - have to open up the trunnion "ears" about .020" per side.
AK74 GB
AK74 or AKM FSB - if using AK74 you have to relieve the rear of the journal or the FSB a bit for fit or if using the AKM FSB you would have to thread the barrel 1/2x28 vs 14mm as it is not large enough diameter for 14mmx1 pitch.

Here is an AKM build with a SLR95 barrel.

Another option for a turned down SLR95 barrel., but the 100 series GB/FSB are pricey & scarce. A fellow restoreit1 can weld up a similar type from supplied FSB & GB parts.>

·
Registered
945 Posts
Agreeing with and adding to what has been posted above, yeah, you need to sell the SLR barrel and get the right type for an AKM.

A virgin Romanian or nice used "pulled" Romanian barrel would be your best option right now as far as cost, availability, and Comblock quality/correctness. There is no one stocking them right now as far as I know - APEX sold their remaining (which were pre-barrel ban imported) few pretty quick when the recent batch of Polish kits hit the market - but they do show up for sale sometimes on the Marketplace forum here, at AK Files, or Calguns.

Since the import of military AK barrels is now forbidden (for your safety and mine) and no one in Central/East Europe wants to sell any as "sporting rifle replacement parts", they will only get harder to find and more expensive. A "Wanted To Buy" ad on the appropriate trader forum here and the other sites I mentioned would be the recommended way to go.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Military barrels can be imported. Barrels that were mounted on a once full auto firearm are not importable. The Apex barrels were not pre ban., they were not ever mounted on a machinegun/FA and as such were/are importable. Evidently the market for individual barrels is very tight and none are being imported.
Evidence that non FA barrels are importable are rifle like the PSL, Yugo M77, Yugo PAP and WASR rifles which still have milspec barrels on them. Milspec but never on a FA firearm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would like to keep all the parts I currently have for the build, rather than doing a nonstandard build. This will be my first build, so I'm going to keep it as simple as possible. If I am unable to obtain a virgin Romanian barrel, how do the US chrome and nitride lined barrels compare?

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
You can get a USA nitride or chromelined or non chrome. I have had the best luck with Green Mountain but have used Hi Standard and they are fine.
I have not used or fired etc., a nitride barrel.
Parts fitment in populating the barrel will be your next challenge. Read up on it first. Like avoiding making the barrel purchase mistake., you need to prepare and educate yourself for the journey of a virgin barrel build. :)

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Is it not possible to use a 90 degree port with a 45 degree gas block?
Yes you can use a 45 degree block over a 90 degree port., but the setback/gas port location in a 90 vs 45 are different. You would need custom length gas piston and gas tube because the gas port for a 90 degree is .725" further to the rear of the barrel vs the 45 degree port.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like I'll be on the hunt for a romanian barrel. If I can't find one without breaking the bank, I may just go the green mountain barrel route. The only thing I do not want to have to do to the barrel is cut the hand guard retainer slots. I do not mind drilling the gas port. AKBlue, did your GM barrels have the hand guard retainers already cut in the barrel?

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
The Green Mountain has the retainer latch and side slots cut. The Romanian has no latch cut or gas port cut.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like I'm going to go the GM barrel route if a Romanian barrel is no avail. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post some build pics up when I get around to it!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Romanian barrels - "virgin" and nice condition "pulled" Romanian military - come up for sale on the secondary market fairly often still. I picked one up a couple weeks ago with both sights, gas block, and handguard retainer for $255, have another on the way for $200 (I think this one is just a bare barrel) and just missed one for $195. The Market Place trader forums here and at AK Files would be the place to look.

·
Registered
936 Posts
^^Yes they do pop up here and again!

The GM chrome lined barrels are very nice US made for about a "buck and a half" shipped. The virgin Romy in that link above is a *fair* deal. I have paid from $165 to $250. They will only get pricier from here on out. Just depends what you want on your kit, and budget although I would spring for the extra dough since its a lot of work to replace it later if you change your mind.

For your Polish, I would get one of Childers Polish receivers-either 80% or 100% depending on your inclinations and a Romy barrel-either virgin or good condition pull like from a barely/never fired "G" kit. Those Polish kits build up real nice!

Robert

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually already have a McKay Ent. Receiver that I bought when I purchased this kit. Hopefully it's not too far off from the Childers. What makes the Romanian barrels so much better than the GM?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts