1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
That's a tough one. Without some of my reference stuff at work, I couldn't say at the moment. Quadrants are a beast to ID - a Chinese one is going to prove even more of a challenge. Sometimes the fun is in the hunt.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray,

I have been "hunting" since I brought this back from DESERT STORM!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

S/F
Nick

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Bet a dollar to a doughnut that the factory that produced it is number 398

Much like the factory 833 makes the PSO scope for the Type 79 SVD.

Also the PU sight for their KPV

That said...If I was betting I would say it wasn't specific to just one type weapon system. Hell we use a US Army quadrant at work in the test department. Sorry I can't explain anymore in depth than that but as you pointed out it worked both with the Mk-19 and Ma Deuce.

Shit, Terry Taliban could probably use it when firing off Soviet (BM-1) and Chinese (Type 63) 107mm rockets from either launchers or a sand berm.

Google reveals the Type 63 towed 107mm 120-tube multiple rocket launcher was developed by Factory 847 in 1961.

If the optical sight wasn't available on the Type 63 launcher as pictured here...

I'm sure the quadrant could be used in it's place.

When you found it, can you remember details about the surrounding materials?

I will put it on my "hot sheet" when looking at photos and report back if I run across anything.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That is standard issue with east block mortars, I have both Chinese and Russian examples. IIRC there is a flat milled on the tube of both my 82's (PRC and Russian) and one one of my 120's (PRC).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry, double tap.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Ominous Evidence. Crazy Horse began quite by accident when a patrol of Montagnard mercenaries, led by a U.S. Special Forces sergeant, "zapped" a North Vietnamese platoon in the mountain massif to the rear of the Air Cav's An Khe headquarters. In a tin box on one of the Communist bodies was a Chinese mortar sight, on others a compass, quadrant and binoculars: ominous evidence that the North Vietnamese might be preparing to clobber An Khe with mortar fire in preparation for an assault. Into the mountains swept chopper loads of Air Cavalrymen to "spoil" the Red attack before it could be mounted.
TAY NINH - Working the rocket belt surrounding Tay Ninh Base Camp, the 3rd Battalion, 22d Infantry Regulars recently captured 53 107mm rockets.
Also captured during the operation were two mortar tubes.
Under the command of First Lieutenant William Ervin of Brunswick, Ga., A Company uncovered a 120mm mortar tube complete with bipod legs, base plate, aiming quadrant and tube. At the same enemy base camp 11 kilometers northwest of Tay Ninh, an 82mm mortar tube was discovered. Both tubes were found by the use of a mine detector.
The Regulars had assaulted the enemy base camp and met heavy resistance. Utilizing Cobra gunships from the 187th Helicopter Company and the 3d Battalion, 17th Cavalry, artillery from the 7th Battalion, 11th Field Artillery, and air strikes, the Tropic Lightning troops forced the enemy to evacuate his own base camp.
The next morning A and B Companies combat assaulted into the camp to see what was left. The quick thinking of Lieutenant Colonel Robert Carmichael of Columbus, Ga., brought the mine sweeper to aid in finding hidden enemy weapons. The move paid off with the discovery of the two mortar tubes.
A few days after the find of the tubes, rockets became the point of interest.
While on an ambush patrol, A Company spotted three enemy soldiers setting up 107mm rockets to be fired at Tay Ninh Base Camp. Pursuing the enemy soldiers, the Regulars captured the rockets before they could do any harm.
During the next several days A and B Companies captured more and more rockets.
Staff Sergeant Donald W. Roberts of Weymouth, Mass. Made the first find. “It seemed that no matter where I ran the mine sweeper, it clicked; I thought that maybe we had come across a gold mine,” said Roberts.
B Company might as well have found a gold mine. 28 107mm Chinese Communist rockets were found at that location.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have seen them issued with 82mm mortars and SPG-9s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts