AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to live in Massachusetts.I moved to NH in 2007.I work as an armed security contractor with a Federal client,meaning besides my State issued LTC, and Armed Security Officers License;I ALSO had to get redundant Federal Clearances from both the FPS(Under DHS and ICE) and the FAA....basically a 5 year EQUIP clearance.Translation-I carry a gun on Federal installations for 48 to 60 hours a week-to include Federal Courthouses and agencies.
Two weeks ago I placed an order from SOG to ship to my FFL dealer.Tuesday,I was contacted by him to do the transfer.....I got denied.Lady from Public Saftey in Concord NH was nice,and explained that since my place of birth/SSN issuance is Ma,.that NICS checks me against disqualification based on THAT state.
Now I have to go to Concord next Tuesday,and bring my LTC,company ID,DOT card and ASO's license to argue my position.Any ideas? how can I be legal to carry and not purchase,especially since I had the Feds climbing all over me whan I got hired last year?????
I am ALREADY on the hook for my order-$410.00 to my Discover card ,ordering my M57 and 20 boxes of Polish ball.
BTW,I have had a NH LTC since 2007,amy ASO license since 2009.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
gripper said:
explained that since my place of birth/SSN issuance is Ma,.that NICS checks me against disqualification based on THAT state.
That is incorrect.
You had another issue.

I am glad that in SC a CWP (LTC) means I don't have to wait for a phone call. Just fill the paperwork out, show my ids and leave. A ten minute deal.

· Banned
4,281 Posts
state of birth or where you got your SSN has no bearing on the background check, if that was the case everybody that moved out of their birth state would all be denied, so that woman told you something that isn't true, probably just to get you off the phone and go back to surfing the net on taxpayers time. I take it you included your SSN? so they know that it is you, and not someone else with a similar name.

no one here can tell you why you got denied, the only way to know why you got denied is to contact the FBI NICS SECTION, you will need the NTN number your FFL got from NICS.

here is the website that explains it all

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsappeals.htm

just a wild ass guess on my part, but you could be a victim of ID theft========= again just a wild guess, but if you have no felony convictions, domestic distrubance charges, or any other disabilties for firearms ownership, that could be a possibility.

but you don't know till you contact NICS SECTION.

· Registered
4,094 Posts
Maybe for some reason they show you as still living in Mass? Victim of dentity theft? Most people don't even know it sometimes...

I was born in Mass. I live in Maine most of my life. Never had a problem, regular or class III.

Your job, and carry licenses mean absolutely nothing. I also work for a security contractor, I've done the equip thing, it's has no bearing on NCIC.

Have you used that FFL before?

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Do what they ask. Show up, smile and state, "there must be some mistake, here is my paper work". Let it go and move on. If you are prone to get bent out of shape when asked to prove your ability to purchase and/or carry, perhaps you shouldn't.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you.I heard from the trainer who certified me in 07/09 that since I rent and get my mail in a PO Box that Ma. May think I have a "false residence"to defraud the licensing types(car registration,security etc.)

· Banned
4,281 Posts
gripper said:
Thank you.I heard from the trainer who certified me in 07/09 that since I rent and get my mail in a PO Box that Ma. May think I have a "false residence"to defraud the licensing types(car registration,security etc.)

forget Ma., the only connection to Ma. you have is that it was your birth state.you have a HN drivers licence, right? you live in NH, have a apt/house, right? pay taxes to NH, registered to vote, car is registered in NH etc.. then you are resident of NH. and since you have been there since last year, that is more then enough time that your residency has changed over from Ma. to HN.

· Banned
4,281 Posts
Robpiat said:
Templar always used to say that people with security clearances were often delayed.
that is a myth, NICS is a criminal data base, security clearences have no bearing on delays or denials. I had a TS clearence when I was AD, and bought firearms without issue.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drivers license/car insurance/registration/residence/mail/voting-All NH.
LTC/ASO all NH.
This FFL I used many years ago(pre 97),and this is my first dealer transfer since 2005-that was in Ma.)

· Registered
623 Posts
A DENY from NICS rather than a delay is pretty serious. I have heard of high volume folks and folks with past security clearances getting a DELAY but not a DENY. Most likely there is someone out there with the same name and BD as you who has a felony. One thing you can do to eliminate this is get a special ID# from the BATFE that you use instead of your SSN that essentially pre-clears or fast tracks your transfers when there are NICS hits that cause you lots of DENY or DELAY results that are unwarranted. You have to submit some extra paper to the BATFE to get the number, but if you do nothing you will keep getting DENYs. I do not think NH has anything to do with it. NICS is run by the FBI. You need to go to a Federal level to eliminate the issue. To get the reason for DENY you need to follow the procedue and send a letter to have them tell you why the DENY.

With you security clearance, you MIGHT be able to contact the FBI through your local field office and get the information directly from them, but that is probably a 50/50 but potentially worth the call.

Here is the letter announcing the BATF special service called VAF (Voluntary Appeal File):
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2004/ ... i-nics.pdf

When you go through the extra hoops you get a special ID number (UPIN) which your FFL uses when doing your NICS checks that uses a different database. The bad thing about all of this is that your information is permanently retained in Federal databases. If you are already in security, this is essentially a moot point...

· Registered
8,792 Posts
I have a security clearance with the DOD and I've been delayed but never denied.
After you get this straightened out you might look into using the BATFE UPIN number on the next 4473 form you accomplish for a purchase.
Good luck and post how you got everything straight,many here I'm sure are curious about you denial.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SUCCESS!I went back to my FFL and we re-ran the transfer/NICS check.Different DPS employee called back and approved immediately.She also apologized for my earlier denial .THAT was caused. By a new hire(transfer from Ma.) whothought she was still working in Ma.
Apparently I was NOT the only LTC/ASO who was denied.My 7:46:04 PM.-a former NH state trooper was denied as well.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No lie!For a while I thought I was an I'd theft victim,or that Ma.was STILL trying to shaft me.
Makes me want to move to AZ,MT,VT.,or AK......or Texas.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.