AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
if the price is right few people might get enticed into buying especially if you go for something that is in hot commodity vs regular old 7.62x39
with that being said there is already a source of US bolts. there is a guy on AKfiles - Cerephim who sells it. prices are not most competitive and judging that he had them for a few years i don't think these flying off the shelves.

i think you are better off with some other parts that are not pressure bearing. people will have hard time trusting no-name manufacturer.
but if it was something novel, something like they can't get anywhere else - that would be a different story. i.e. front trunnion where you can replace a barrel with just a set of wrenches instead of press and pin, AK with multi-caliber capability for sure would be of interest to a bunch of folks.

aside from that there is definitely a good untapped market for good quality various styles of bullet guides. particularly galil 223 bullet guides. these things are unobtainium. if you can make those for $20-30 out the door you will have some sales. lot's of galil kits came in in the past few years and most of them are misssing bullet guides. for you it would be a much cheaper easier thing to machine compare to trunnions and even easier thing to offload. hell, i'll sign up for a few myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd be interested in 5.45 front trunnions for sure. Those seem to be getting harder and harder to find, not sure about how big of a market there would be for it though. Bolts are expensive so depending on pricing I'm sure some people would spring for those too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Most of the demand is covered by surplus trunnions and as was said above - people will have a hard time trusting an unknown source for this. Even when dimensionally correct (which isn't a guarantee and you won't find out until you order it), one has to trust the heat treatment.

Where you might have better luck is with Chinese front trunnions (and maybe rear trunnions, FSBs for spikers, and gas blocks for regular bayonets). There's still a fair number of kits out there without trunnions and definitely a lot of Chinese AKs with neutered FSBs and gas blocks. Tortort started off with Chinese front trunnions and the demand has been sufficient to launch him in the part/receiver business. He hasn't made them for some time now though. Either they aren't as profitable as the complete milled receivers (and there's only so much capacity), or the demand has fallen off. However, I see Chinese kits without trunnions for sale as often as before. In fact I got one myself, will likely build it on a milled receiver, since there are no trunnions to be found.

ETA: as for the AK-74 bolts and other such, they're imported from time to time. I just bought a polish 5.56 bolt from AoA that I've been looking for for years. And as was pointed out before, I had a hard time convincing myself to buy it from Cepherim, since I don't know how good/bad his bolts are and they aren't cheap. So I jumped on a Polish bolt (which was a bit cheaper too). It would be ironic if it ends up being poorly made, but Poles have a reputation for making good AK parts. On the other hand, Chinese parts are unique and are very unlikely to be imported anytime soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if the price is right few people might get enticed into buying especially if you go for something that is in hot commodity vs regular old 7.62x39
with that being said there is already a source of US bolts. there is a guy on AKfiles - Cerephim who sells it. prices are not most competitive and judging that he had them for a few years i don't think these flying off the shelves.

i think you are better off with some other parts that are not pressure baring. people will have hard time trusting no-name manufacturer.
but if it was something novel, something like they can't get anywhere else - that would be a different story. i.e. front trunnion where you can replace a barrel with just a set of wrenches instead of press and pin, AK with multi-caliber capability for sure would be of interest to a bunch of folks.

aside from that there is definitely a good untapped market for good quality various styles of bullet guides. particularly galil 223 bullet guides. these things are unobtainium. if you can make those for $20-30 out the door you will have some sales. lot's of galil kits came in in the past few years and most of them are misssing bullet guides. for you it would be a much cheaper easier thing to machine compare to trunnions and even easier thing to offload. hell, i'll sign up for a few myself.

Awesome thanks for the feedback, is there any drawings and or specs I can get on the feed ramps?
Maybe like a screw in barrel like the Chinese aks had?
I have a good heat treating company and new Mazak lathe and mill and a swiss machine. So we should be able to make some quality parts, I have also am applying for my class 7 ffl I keep having companies approaching me to make receivers.

·
Registered
928 Posts
many basic parts are becoming harder to find, a new American manufacturer for components is always welcome. 5.45 parts are basically unobtanium at the moment

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looking at surplus ammo to make random calibers and there is literally nothing lol

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Awesome thanks for the feedback, is there any drawings and or specs I can get on the feed ramps?
Maybe like a screw in barrel like the Chinese AKs had?
I have a good heat treating company and new Mazak lathe and mill and a swiss machine. So we should be able to make some quality parts, I have also am applying for my class 7 ffl I keep having companies approaching me to make receivers.
drawings for these things largely don't exist. You would have to just find/buy a aprt and reverse engineer and make your own drawings.

as far as chinese stuff goes - i really have my doubts about it. kits are non-existent or at least i'm not seeing any. and making barrel parts is also of questionable demand. not that many of chinese AKs in the hands compared to euro AKs. even fewer of those owners will be rebuilding their existing AKs.

threaded standard stamped AKM or AK-74 trunnions with accompanying threaded barrels that can be headspaced with a barrel nut like a bolt gun without any need to mess with press, drilling and pinning could be a game changer, assuming you can pull it off and your stuff isn't super pricey and can be properly heat-treated per correct AK specs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drawings for these things largely don't exist. You would have to just find/buy a aprt and reverse engineer and make your own drawings.

as far as chinese stuff goes - i really have my doubts about it. kits are non-existent or at least i'm not seeing any. and making barrel parts is also of questionable demand. not that many of chinese AKs in the hands compared to euro AKs. even fewer of those owners will be rebuilding their existing AKs.

threaded standard stamped AKM or AK-74 trunnions with accompanying threaded barrels that can be headspaced with a barrel nut like a bolt gun without any need to mess with press, drilling and pinning could be a game changer, assuming you can pull it off and your stuff isn't super pricey and can be properly heat-treated per correct AK specs.
Ill have to find one, I feel pretty good about or material suppliers and heat treating the tools we make normally come back within 1 Rockwell +/- across the batch. So I think we could make a pretty solid part. I have ak-74 and 47s here I can de-mill to get specs I drew the 47 up already. I see like palmeto has a bunch of the general parts in stock because I can stamp as well.

I guess for me finding the material specs and harness for the feed ramp is my concern if I can find one.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
5.56 bullet guides for milled receivers can’t be found. I’ve been looking for a year. I’m also in need of an AK74 front trunnion at a non-rape price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am hoping to land around $120 for a front trunnion depending how tooling quotes comes back. Is that a rapie price?

5.56 bullet guides for milled receivers can’t be found. I’ve been looking for a year. I’m also in need of an AK74 front trunnion at a non-rape price.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I am hoping to land around $120 for a front trunnion depending how tooling quotes comes back. Is that a rapie price?
right now it is not, but in pre-pandemic times trunnions hovered between $40-100 based on country of origin and condition.
New virgin Bulgarian trunnions were $75-100.
Surplus used stuff was as low as $30-40 for Romanian ones. And up from there based on the country of origin and availability.

this is pre-pandemic prices not 10-years in the past prices. Granted having US-made trunnion for 922r compliance is a plus that might entice small number of folks, but there are much cheaper ways to achieve complaince, moreover there is no trust amongst folks in US-made pressure bearing parts, so that fact would be a huge detractor for a majority of potential buyers. hence why i suggested in my original post to do something else instead of trunnions or bolts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
right now it is not, but in pre-pandemic times trunnions hovered between $40-100 based on country of origin and condition.
New virgin Bulgarian trunnions were $75-100.
Surplus used stuff was as low as $30-40 for Romanian ones. And up from there based on the country of origin and availability.

this is pre-pandemic prices not 10-years in the past prices. Granted having US-made trunnion for 922r compliance is a plus that might entice small number of folks, but there are much cheaper ways to achieve complaince, moreover there is no trust amongst folks in US-made pressure bearing parts, so that fact would be a huge detractor for a majority of potential buyers. hence why i suggested in my original post to do something else instead of trunnions or bolts.
Got ya, know anywhere I can get a galil kit with the guide? Ill try to make em up.
Customer today asked me to quote them on forgrips for ar's 4000lb min of custom extrusions lol ugh

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No. It would have been years ago, but today that price is very realistic. I have a kit that I can’t build because it’s missing the front trunnion. I’d be happy to pay $120.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Galil kits Apex sells or was selling (not sure if they still have those) came with bullet guides. At least, both of mine did, and the pictures they have show bullet guides. The Galil kits from RTG and Bowman have bullet guides on the receiver stubs.

7.62x39 AK bullet guides are once again available for around $20-30. Apex has the Yugo ones and tge Century ones on front trunnions (I bought a few of those RAS47 trunnions for $20 per just to get the bullet guides. The trunnions themselves are worthless, but the bullet guides work fine in a couple of my milled AKs). K-var has them too.

·
Registered
AK74
2 Posts
Is there any interest in US made from billet 4140 akm and ak-74 trunnions and bolts?
Machines are slow right now in our industry so we could make some of them if they are needed.
In the current market with price gouging and general lack of build parts, people will buy if you can keep the price down. If the price is there and the specs are there people will buy yours over the other. I'm definitely in👍

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
There is definitely a market & interest in exactly what you posted. They are becoming harder to find. Prices are going up and up. You'd have a market for a quality product. If you're looking for one off oddball Chinese trunnions, you'll only find a handful of cats looking for that stuff. If you're wanting to crank out some goodies that will move, I'd stick to standard 1mm based AKM & AK74 trunnions and the bolts that would go with them.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts