AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
How do you like your PTR-91? I've been looking at them on Atlantic Firearm's page. They seem pretty nice for the money.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
FunkZ28 said:
How do you like your PTR-91? I've been looking at them on Atlantic Firearm's page. They seem pretty nice for the money.
If you get one, get it from Samco. They are about $100 or more cheaper on the PTR-91s than Atlantic.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
If you decide to go with a PTR91 (which I love by the way) decide up front if you like the muzzle brake or not :wink: . The STD PTR91 comes with a target barrel that NO ONE will thread and attach a FH to. It irked me so much I sold my first PTR and spent a little more to get a PTR91K. Thrilled to the bone now. Oh yea, I added the HK Collapsible stock $139 bucks from centerfire - was a steal! Buy one before you get the rifle - those stocks wont last long at that price. Usually those HK stocks sell for $200-225

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
hey Travis,

I have heard that the target barrels are made for slow fire and aren't recommended by JLD to do five 20rd mag dumps.....thoughts? I find there statement takes the fun out of buying one.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
1Gunner said:
hey Travis,

I have heard that the target barrels are made for slow fire and aren't recommended by JLD to do five 20rd mag dumps.....thoughts? I find there statement takes the fun out of buying one.
:twisted: yea right. Sounds like a 'legal eaze' statement to me. If I can't bump it (safe location of course) or do some serious mag dumps I don't want it. I never had ANY issues with my original PTR. Oh yea, I dumped a few out of that baby :animak: In all seriousness they market the PTR to be a 'precision target rifle' tuned trigger etc.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Travis, I forgot how nice those are until I saw your pics. I handled one just like yours in the local gun store. It would probably take some getting used to with the collapsable stock. I didn't really like how the rolled buttpad felt and the heavy barrel made it really front heavy but damn that finish is beatiful! And the deal on the stocks at centerfire is unheard of. Hmmm now to fight the temptation. How was the finish on the stock when you got it?

The PTR wasn't designed for mag dumps. However I'm sure it would be fine to do and the heavy barrel wouldn't heat up as fast. But mag dumps do degrade the barrel life alot quicker than slow fire.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Xenogy said:
Travis, I forgot how nice those are until I saw your pics. I handled one just like yours in the local gun store. It would probably take some getting used to with the collapsable stock. I didn't really like how the rolled buttpad felt and the heavy barrel made it really front heavy but damn that finish is beatiful! And the deal on the stocks at centerfire is unheard of. Hmmm now to fight the temptation. How was the finish on the stock when you got it?

The PTR wasn't designed for mag dumps. However I'm sure it would be fine to do and the heavy barrel wouldn't heat up as fast. But mag dumps do degrade the barrel life alot quicker than slow fire.
Mine was in EX shape. Most of the collapsible stocks I saw people receiving were like 'new'. I also have the fixed HK stock as well. I'm keeping both. The HK system swaps out so nice and easy - why not ? Target shooting will be with the fixed.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Dieter122 said:
such a bum... I cant have the evil features like that..

I do have a collapsable stock on hand, just cant install the darned thing legally.

I want one with a flash hider so bad :sad:
That's right! you live behind the iron curtian AKA NEW YORK :wink:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Xenogy said:
FunkZ28 said:
If you get one, get it from Samco. They are about $100 or more cheaper on the PTR-91s than Atlantic.
Thanks for the tip, after reading this I definately want one! I'm from New York as well... no collapsable/folding stocks or flash hiders 'round these parts. I even had to settle for a WASR since AK's with bayo lugs and threaded barrels are illegal here :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
have you fired that thing yet?

i know it looks like a turd,...but it runs good,..i think i was using the aussie surplus stuff.

any way i found the original alum. mag that came with it,...it is all beat to shit and back,.. but if you want it i'll send it to ya,.. if not,.. ill use it to check the zero of my [email protected]

i still cant see how anyone can stand cleaning that damn rifle,... i guess my AK's spoiled me :goof:

·
Registered
545 Posts

This JLD PTR-91 has authentic HK91 furniture. notice the heat shields -vs- the crummy plastic hand guards that comes originally with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts