AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Always stash your cash for the gunshows.....

Although, it never hurts to drop in to see what the local gunstore may have on the shelf. If you go to a gunstore, and see "insane" prices, rest assured you will never run across a bargain in that store.....cross it off your list.

KF

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Not to mention the tax jacks the price up even more. Same deal with gun stores here. DSA FALs over $3,000(over $3400 after tax). PTR-91 over $1500 (over $1700 after tax). I usually go in there to pick out what I want then find where to order it on-line. I would support the local shop if their prices were reasonable. The have over 10,000 in stock and haven't figured out that lower costs they will sell more and in the long run make more money.

Every time I go in there they have the same stuff sitting on the shelves a year later. Most stuff still has the pre-ban mags because it hasn't moved in so long. So it makes the prices seem even more unreasonable. $13 for a box of 9x18 ammo that I can get online for $5. When Wolf ammo was plentiful a 500rd case was $80 + tax there.

·
Registered
551 Posts
almost all are like this, because they need to make money. I would guess a small gun store would not bring in that much income. I guess it's a trade off for having really low prices, but then bringing in little return. Gun shows despite their fill of carnie weirdos and liars, always have better prices. :neutral:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Dieter122 said:
MauserMark said:
almost as good a my local NW Houston store that always has 5.45x39 HP (Wolf) in stock.

probably because it's $6.50 a box! :lol:
he just may get that price right now... my SPG ammo has been backordered for like 2 months now... im like almost out of 5.45 and 7.62x39.. :mad:
My local store had 5.45 for the same price when I got my AKS-74. Stupid me forgot to buy ammo for it and I wanted to shoot it that weekend. Yes, I paid the $6 or so per box. I think I got 5 or 6 boxes. It's nice knowing they are there and have anything you could want when your in such situation. I just hate supporting their prices.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Dieter122 said:
Xenogy said:
Dieter122 said:
MauserMark said:
almost as good a my local NW Houston store that always has 5.45x39 HP (Wolf) in stock.

probably because it's $6.50 a box! :lol:
he just may get that price right now... my SPG ammo has been backordered for like 2 months now... im like almost out of 5.45 and 7.62x39.. :mad:
My local store had 5.45 for the same price when I got my AKS-74. Stupid me forgot to buy ammo for it and I wanted to shoot it that weekend. Yes, I paid the $6 or so per box. I think I got 5 or 6 boxes. It's nice knowing they are there and have anything you could want when your in such situation. I just hate supporting their prices.
ya I know what you mean..

when I got my PTR back from JLD (cocking handle wasnt spaced right, and it was broken, as well as me having used SA ammo originall, huuuuuge mistake), I really wanted to shoot it ASAP, before college started back up...so i got some Aussie .308 locally...

the guy tells me its 150 rounds for $30....which I say ok to (knowing even that is WAY overpriced)...turns out it was only SEVENTY ROUNDS for THIRTY DOLLARS....

I shot like 20 rounds and realized he overcharged me and misquoted the amount of rounds he had given me (on strippers in a bandoleer, I didnt count them, just trusted what he said and walked out)...

returned to the store, he realized what he did after I explained it...and he only refunded the money back on the rounds I didnt fire (even though I offered to give him SA ammo to replace the shot ammo)...so my 20 rounds of shooting cost me $8...rip off indeed. $0.42 cents a round for .308
You had problems with SA? I have shot a few hundred rounds through my FAL without any problems. It was even more accurate than Aussie 70's and 80's Mfg.

I was thinking 150rds for $30 is was about average. My local range sells .308 surplus for that same price. Now 70rds for $30 is a huge ripoff. I would have taken it back also.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Re: why I dont buy stuff at local gun stores..

Dieter122 said:
I was driving around with the girlfriend, and realized I was close to a gun store I hadnt been to before...decided to stop and check it out...
Nice guys working thing, but their prices were THROUGH THE ROOF

$40 for a East German Converted Bakelite .223 AK mag
Any price i too much. These usually dont work.

Dieter122 said:
$10 for G3 mags (aluminum)
Most people dont need 100 mags from Tapco for a dollar each. Depending on when you got them 10 sounds fair

Dieter122 said:
$40 for 140rnds South African .308 ammo.
Bunch of it in stock $27.99 per battle pack

Dieter122 said:
$4+ for a box of wolf 7.62x39 FMJ ammo
(Will be $3.49 a box here)

Dieter122 said:
Minimum $900 for ARs (RRA), up to $1600 for some.
Sounds about right with a normal mark up for a RRA AR.I just ordered 2 this past week for a customer and sold them for $900 each, but they are at least 60 days out, they just took a ~$25 dollar hike on 2/9 and charge $15 per gun to ship. They are they worst on shipping in the business.

Dieter122 said:
$175 for M44 Mosin Nagant
got one on the rack for $79.99

Dieter122 said:
$300 for a No4Mk1 Enfield
should sell for about $139

Dieter122 said:
I was shocked by the prices, they were much higher than I had expected for even a retail store to have.....how anyone would be able to afford to actually SHOOT with those prices, I dont know..
I find that prices vary with the region and the demand of the products that they sell. Yes, there are "prices in outer space" dealers out there and there are dealers that work on tight fair margins and actually end up being cheaper on guns and accesories than the big idiot stores. We have one only one mile from our store here, and i hear daily how much cheaper we are than they are. There are also people out there that wil pay a premium for a product from a dealer, at a higher price because they get good service and they done care what the price is.
If i was a millionare, id buy what i want if i found it and wouldn't waste my time driving around playing the "is that the best price you can do" game.
(which i hate) I see guys drive 120 miles in a 10 Mile per gallon pick up truck to look for the best deal so they can save 10 bucks on a gun or whatever they want. The way that dealer prices have gone up on many guns this year people are going to have to dig deeper to get teh guun they want. Ruger took the worst price hike. My wholesale prices on them
alone went up ~10 percent. That's a huge increase, one of the largest i can remember in the past 16 years.

Everyone love the big stores (BPS, CAB, GM)
(Personally, I'd love to see each and every one of them burn to the ground)
But remember if the little guys go down, the Big Idiot stores will be able to dictate what prices they sell for. There will be no more "is this the best you can do" or "i can get it form here for..."
It will be pay for it what it's marked, or you dont get it.

Enough for now...

KyAKGuy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts