AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
House gun? Fabarm FP6 with bird shot.
Do you feel that a shotgun loaded with birdshot is a more effective weapon that a semi auto carbine loaded with soft points?

If you really like a scattergun for home defense, sticking with buckshot would be your best bet. Birdshot does not have the mass to penetrate deep enough to inflict a fight stopping wound. Birdshot, by definition, is made for killing, small, thin-skinned, hollow-boned animals while causing as little damage as possible.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I'd like to see a purpose built handguard that incorporates a Surefire 6P type light, much like the forend on an 870 or an MP5.

The Russians came up with a light that mounts on the barrel, but I think it's a little bulky.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Templar said:
I'd like to see a purpose built handguard that incorporates a Surefire 6P type light, much like the forend on an 870 or an MP5.

The Russians came up with a light that mounts on the barrel, but I think it's a little bulky.

they (surefire),. makes something for pump action shot-guns,...it would be nice to have something like this for a AK,...i love my surefire to death and god knows i blinded many a hajji with mine but i would have to pass on one for a AK unless it was molded into the lower hand guard,...

dont the russians have something like this?

oh yeah,...i love the site.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
cruzie27 said:
Templar said:

they (surefire),. makes something for pump action shot-guns,...it would be nice to have something like this for a AK,...i love my surefire to death and god knows i blinded many a hajji with mine but i would have to pass on one for a AK unless it was molded into the lower hand guard,...

dont the russians have something like this?

oh yeah,...i love the site.
The only light I'm aware of that the Russians came up with is one that clamps on the barrel.........too bulky for me thanks......

The Bulgarians though do have a light assembly for their new carbine, called an M4, but it's a milled receiver, side folding stock, short barreled AK in both 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm.

Bulgarian M4:

And the Russian "Zenich" light, as posted on Tantal's site:

And thanks, glad you like the place!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
hmmm the one i was thinking about was the zenich light,...and i guess it does go on the barrel,... and that bulgy m4 looks a bit bulky to me as well.

i may have to dig out some fiberglass repair kits,.and so some experaminting,....i just dont want to use MY surefire

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Melvinator2k0 said:
Personally, I cringe whenever I see "tac" accesories on AK rifles. But whatever floats your boat.
Melvin, you're lookin' at a hard core Kalashnisnob (me) :goof: , and I share your feelings when it comes to "Crapco-izing" an AK, but when we're talking about serious improvments in a modern Kalashnikov, I have no issues with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Templar said:
Melvinator2k0 said:
Personally, I cringe whenever I see "tac" accesories on AK rifles. But whatever floats your boat.
Melvin, you're lookin' at a hard core Kalashnisnob (me) :goof: , and I share your feelings when it comes to "Crapco-izing" an AK, but when we're talking about serious improvments in a modern Kalashnikov, I have no issues with that.
I know, being a total kalashnisnob can cloud my mind sometimes! :razz: :sad:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Templar said:

I have a design drawn up for something similar. It is a synthetic AK handgaurd with a built in pressure pad and a threaded adapter to screw in your own Surefire G2 or simliar light. Basically you take the tail cap off the flash light and screw the whole light into the handgaurds. I have a friend who owns a polymer molding company that I am checking with on production costs. Hopefully, it will work out. :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe someone has already tried this, and I have just never seen it, but how about a light that attaches like a bayonet? I like how my Glock light slides on and off easily, and something like that for an AK would allow a tac light option without swapping out the handguard or other semi-permanent modifications?

·
Registered
589 Posts
triburst1 said:
CornFedHusker said:
House gun? Fabarm FP6 with bird shot.
Do you feel that a shotgun loaded with birdshot is a more effective weapon that a semi auto carbine loaded with soft points?

If you really like a scattergun for home defense, sticking with buckshot would be your best bet. Birdshot does not have the mass to penetrate deep enough to inflict a fight stopping wound. Birdshot, by definition, is made for killing, small, thin-skinned, hollow-boned animals while causing as little damage as possible.
Firing in a house or other building would leave me worried about overpenetration through sheet rock and timber walls. Is a soft point carbine round technically superior in terms of stopping ability? Of course it is....but not when there may be family in adjoining rooms.

Having seen firsthand how birdshot can penetrate a human at roughly 150 yards, I am more than comfortable using it at ranges of 10 to 15 feet. At that range, birdshot through a cylinder bore shotgun is almost like shooting a slug.

Of course, when the zombies attack, I may have to upgrade to three-inch magnum buckshot loads.... :grin:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Malcolm said:
Maybe someone has already tried this, and I have just never seen it, but how about a light that attaches like a bayonet? I like how my Glock light slides on and off easily, and something like that for an AK would allow a tac light option without swapping out the handguard or other semi-permanent modifications?
I agree that's a good idea. It would give that "accessory lug" on AK-74's a good use besides mounting an Airsoft GP-25...

As far as the Surefire dedicated weaponlight for AK's, I has that thought and wrote Surefire about it. They referred me to their AK picatinny rail system but said that they have no plans for a hanguard light.

For the record, I have an opinion similar to Templar - I prefer historically correct Russian clones for most of my variants, however I consider the "millennium series" AK's as modern working firearms open to innovative and useful upgrades.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thekatar said:
For the record, I have an opinion similar to Templar - I prefer historically correct Russian clones for most of my variants, however I consider the "millennium series" AK's as modern working firearms open to innovative and useful upgrades.
Wow, well said, but I personally would say...

'For the record, I have an opinion similar to Templar - I prefer historically correct military clones for most of my variants, however I consider the "millennium series" AK's as modern working firearms open to innovative and useful upgrades.'

..as many of my rifles are replicas of military AKs from countries including Russia.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts