AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
IIRC this was a problem with a batch of SLR-105s. Something about the finish being applied in Bulgaria...

My advice would be to contact Arsenal and let them correct it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm sure Templar will be along shortly to give you the scoop but I'm pretty sure he took care of a few SLR-105s when he was still working at Degoff's.

I'm positive Arsenal would at least pick up the return shipping.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
OK time for a Sticky :)

Bulgarian rifles, of all designations, are wonderful and perfect. Except for one little thing....

Bulgarian paint sucks.

Bulgy paint can be VERY easily removed with simple paint stripper (ZStrip, or whatever brand your hardware store has). Universaly, you will find a lovely Grey PARK layer under that rotten paint - PERFECT for a quality refinish with GunKote :)

I'm working on my sixth Bulgy '74 :) Yup - the original paint is history :)

(edit) And PLEASE - NEVER SANDBLAST A BULGY... you'll destroy that park underneath the junk paint. Trust me - chemical removal is very easy, and very fast....

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Trotsky said:
OK time for a Sticky :)

Bulgarian rifles, of all designations, are wonderful and perfect. Except for one little thing....

Bulgarian paint sucks.

Bulgy paint can be VERY easily removed with simple paint stripper (ZStrip, or whatever brand your hardware store has). Universaly, you will find a lovely Grey PARK layer under that rotten paint - PERFECT for a quality refinish with GunKote :)

I'm working on my sixth Bulgy '74 :) Yup - the original paint is history :)

(edit) And PLEASE - NEVER SANDBLAST A BULGY... you'll destroy that park underneath the junk paint. Trust me - chemical removal is very easy, and very fast....
The U.S. made rifles are parked ???

·
Registered
612 Posts
My rifle sure didn't look parked underneath.First time I cleaned it I watched in horror as the finish dripped off the receiver. :shock:

She now sports a nice coat of gunkote over park.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I've never had any paint come off of my SLR-105R yet except at the mag area. I use Hoppes and Hoppes benchrest solvents.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
man what are you guys cleaning with?,........

i have never ever had any kind of problems with the finish comming off any rifle,...not even the "Krylon special",....

but again all i use to clean my firearms is Break Free CLP,....i guess i can thank uncle sugar for that habbit.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Why are you guys doing cleaning your AKs?

j/k :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this same problem with my SLR-95. When i clean it the black rubs right off. The finish is totaly worn off the muzzle break just from firing. Awesome rifle, terrible finish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
All Bulgarian AKs have lousy finishes. My first was an SLR-93 back when they were current imports, and I had the same experience. I now have a 74 built using a Bulgarian military matching kit, and it has the same KIWI shoe-polish finish as the civilian rifles.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Bradley5050 said:
I chuckle about this every time I see a $1200 Arsenal "limited run" rifle!

Very different animal.......

The M series rifles....those M5's and M7's that are built in the US, are given a much, much better finish.

A very durable black enamel over park.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have four Arsenals and while the finish on 5/7 models is clearly superior to the 93/95/105 - it is still a poor finish for a rifle with a higher-end price tag. We just don't whine about it!

Hell, the paint on my Century CETME is vastly superior (did I just commend Century, Jesus).

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Templar said:
The M series rifles....those M5's and M7's that are built in the US, are given a much, much better finish.

A very durable black enamel over park.
Montana Vet's M-5 has paint chipping on the barrel and the tube. It's good to know the M-5/7's are parked, this spring I'll be breaking out the airbrush and Gun Kote ... :twisted:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called Arsenal Inc. last Friday about this very subject. The SLR105 is just paint and if you send it back they will paint it with the same can of spray paint.

The M-7 is supposedly a black powder coat. I'm inclined to believe this because I chip it at the sling attachment point putting on the sling. It was thick and tough but bear metal underneath.

·
Registered
10 Posts
harmless said:
I called Arsenal Inc. last Friday about this very subject. The SLR105 is just paint and if you send it back they will paint it with the same can of spray paint.
The M-7 is supposedly a black powder coat. I'm inclined to believe this because I chip it at the sling attachment point putting on the sling. It was thick and tough but bear metal underneath.
No Problem Brother - I just won't buy their products. Reminds me of the Story of Henry Ford. Ford invented the auto production line. He THOUGHT he was in charge of the customer. Competition came out with COLORED cars, Ford's response was "you can have any color you want just so long as it is black". And customers found other cars to buy.

I don't need to buy a gun that NEEDS to be refinished if you plan on cleaning it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts