AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
These days I'm buying whatever I can find.

I would prefer FMJ but beggars can't be choosers.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My SHTF mags are loaded with a mixture of tracer, Wolf FMJ and Chinese steel core.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have ULY and silver bear , I have about 2,000 rounds .
Not shooting any of it until I can get more good stuff !!! :sad:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Uly HP fragments and penetrates like mad. Hits like a bomb and shreds stuff like razors, and the base tumbles around further for a bit. That's what someone said about it after they tested it on diff. targets. My HD mag is 30 rounds of Uly should I need it.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Mine is all 7.62...

If you want HD ammo, HP is excellent because it fragments and really messes stuff up. FMJ is just fine, accurate and 100% reliable, it just doesn't fragment or do as much damage. Both are excellent rounds, its just that the HP is the best for HD.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
For anti-personnel rounds, the 123grain hunting soft points made by several manufacturers would be the ticket if they feed in your rifle. These are obviously made to inflict maximum damage in soft tissue with no regard for any humanitarion or military-legal issues. Of course, they're pricey.

I'd rely on tactics, shot placement, and aggression more than my projectile design.

Kyle

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
SP is good, but yes it is also very pricey and your AK may not use it. Even worse, if you pull the bolt back and let it slam foreward on a SP round and it won't take it... boom, you just deformed and ruined a good SP round as the lead is too soft to hold up to the force.

FYI Wolf, Barnaul, Silver Bear and other Russian SP is not too good for hunting, it is SP but has a steel jacket which expands less than a copper jacket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whatever I can find these days. My stash right now is mostly Barnual and some Chinese steel core from the old days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I figure FMJ would be the best. It will have a fairly big wound channel when it hits a target. It will also go through the target and into soomthing else if you "need" it too. And it will go through Cars, House walls, etc.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Wolverine said:
I figure FMJ would be the best. It will have a fairly big wound channel when it hits a target. It will also go through the target and into soomthing else if you "need" it too. And it will go through Cars, House walls, etc.
Nahhh... I have East German and Chinese steel core if I need to do any of that...

And exploding 12 gauge shells... hehehe...

·
Registered
322 Posts
my ammo of choice would be portuguese 762 that i picked up a couple months ago...there was several shows i saw it real cheap and picked up about 3000 rounds that are now just chillin in my closet

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
For my 74's I have Barnaul and Uly FMJ......Now my 7.62's will get Winchester SP if it ever comes to SHTF........

·
Registered
14 Posts
IMHO the best option would be to load up the mags alternating SP and FMJ. The FMJ has more penetration in case that is called for but the SP will inflict maximum damage. While it wouldnt be as ideal as some of the other SP I would most likely go with the wolf SP just because could coe nearer afording it in bulk. I would also avoid the tracers unless it was just one or 2 mags in case you wanted to say light up a gas can or some such since they have the distinct disadvantage of working both way, as in it ay tell you where you are hitting but also tells the other guy exactly where the shots are comeing from.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Soft point would be the best due to maximum damage, However in an urban environment where you would be shooting through cars and doors. I would use FMJ, The wound cavity is not that great, But it will punch through a tree, But sometimes you might not want it to punch through a tree. Hollow points are a good medium. I have many hollow points, Just prefer soft points....But I also have some FMJs too. However I do own some incendiaries and tracers.....Which I should probably get more of. But one thing that I think people everlook greatly in SHTF situations is. Food, Thats gonna be the most important use for my firearms. Because if it does hit the fan....I am not gonna be in any cities or neighborhoods, I will be huddled with a select few in a house far from everything with plenty of land if houses become targets we will just move into the woods. Your best friend in a SHTF situation is gonna be knowledge.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Tracers don't light up for about 75 meters. The folks on the other side can't trace them back to your position. Besides you don't load a full magazine with tracers. Just enough to keep you on target in the dark and let you know your are about to run out of ammunition.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Greentimber said:
For anti-personnel rounds, the 123grain hunting soft points made by several manufacturers would be the ticket if they feed in your rifle. These are obviously made to inflict maximum damage in soft tissue with no regard for any humanitarion or military-legal issues. Of course, they're pricey.

I'd rely on tactics, shot placement, and aggression more than my projectile design.

Kyle

What Kyle said.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts