·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you goto the range, whats your objective? and mini rant

DELETED

·
Registered
621 Posts
Many people go to the range before huting season just to make sure thier scope is still zeroed. They dont shoot for sport but they do hunt for sport, the gun is just a tool to get the deer. Other come just to blast ungodly amounts of ammo and never even care if they hit a target.....Jus there to make noise....I got for many reasons....To make sure scopes are still zeroed....To get a zero on a scope, to check grouping, to keep familiar with the weapon, to make sure the weapon still works properly, But most of all to have fun while I am doing this. To me shooting a bolt actios at 100 yards is just no fun. they kick hard and all it takes is a couple of bags and you can hit where your aiming every time. So when I do shoot bolt guns. I put a few rounds down and pass on to the next rifle...usually an ak, shotgun or pistol! thats where the fun comes in. Plus it is always more fun to have people at the range with you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: when you goto the range, whats your objective? and mini

Dieter122 said:
I see some people at my range show up, shoot 3 rounds , see they "hit the target" and leave,...to me these arnt sportsmen
The number of rounds fired does not determine the quality of the sportsman. I know some people who only go to the range to verify zero, but are incredible sportsman who use their rifles for more than just target practice. Some of the best hunters in the world only go to the range to verify zero, but then go into the field to hone their skills in the same environment they will be hunting.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You have to understand that there is a growing divide between the average joe hunting season gun owner and the gun enthusiast/sportsmen. Even at local ranges here there's been rude comments said to fellow arfers about their evil assault ARs with a bunch of bells and whistles, one shooter said "we (us enthusiasts) with our man-killers are the reason Americans are losing their gun rights."

There is a divide, but I think more and more americans are joining the enthusiasts/collector's camps now more than ever with the proliferation of the AR15 and the massive numbers that are now being sold in America, not to mention the ever increasing demand for AKs. :mrgreen:

But like most of you I personally go to the range to have fun and practice marksmenship. It also depends on the range. There's a few places we can go to and just blow shit up, meaning we do fun mag dumps, bumpfiring and the like, and then there's places I go with benches to sight in scopes and what not. I try to do a little of everything.

:twisted:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I kind of do like you do Dieter.

I'll take two guns and a few hundred rounds. I'll enjoy that, try shooting from different positions to see what works and what doesn't. New accessories are always a good excuse to go! Taking friends is better yet. I love the target practice as well as the social aspects of it. And there always seems to be someone there I can learn from too.

I'll make sure I shoot them enough that I have no choice buy to spend time that evening cleaning them up and storing them properly too. More quality time there.

If I do that in a day, the rest of the day can be heck and it won't even faze me. :grin:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
My objective is solely to have a good time. I could care less what some yokel three stalls down is there to do - thats their business. :bow:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: when you goto the range, whats your objective? and mini

Dieter122 said:
I see some people at my range show up, shoot 3 rounds , see they "hit the target" and leave,...to me these arnt sportsmen, checking to make sure you gun still works isnt being a true shooter...
That scenario has nothing to do with proving who is or is not a sportsman.

Like mentioned earlier, Some folks are there making sure that the scope/rifle is still zeroed in for hunting season. After all...if it is hitting the target, Maybe they don't need anymore convincing. Maybe they don't have time to sit there and shoot 100's of rounds. Trying to determine and judge if they are a "True" sportsman is kinda like judging you for having that evil black AK that we all love. :eek: :razz:

There are instances when I have only had limited time to go shooting before hunting seasons. Those are the times when I show up and shoot the amount that I need to and head out. The other times when my schedule permits, I try and do as you described - I'll shoot til I've run through what I brought in the ammo box.

DK

·
Registered
330 Posts
I remember one time I went to the range. One guy there with his bolt action rifle. He'd fire 1 round, write down enough to write a book. Look through his spotting scope and then write some more. Finally firing another round. In the whole time I shot 5 mags worth, he fired maybe 10 rounds, writing and looking the same after each shot.

When I go to the range, I go to see how my groups are. If I want to just shoot for fun, I'll stay at my house. I never received any negative remarks about my SLR-105A1R though. Some guys don't even know about the 5.45x39 round til I show 'em and tell 'em about it. [/i]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The DNR range I shoot at sometimes has a mix of people like most ranges. Everyone is usually respectful. There are idiots on both sides that cause waves betwwen the different shooting types. Everyone is familiar with the anti-"assault rifle" crowd, but in all honesty some of us need to be more considerate too. Last year at the same range two guys showed up and were rapid firing their M1 Garands and M1 carbines. They showed no intent to control their weapons and repeatedly hit other people's targets with their mad spray. I can guarantee you that some people left that range that day with a disdain for semi-auto shooters. We are all ambassadors of our sport, even amongst other shooters.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I just like to get em HOT! Then I go home. :grin:

·
Registered
551 Posts
BiggerStick47 said:
The DNR range I shoot at sometimes has a mix of people like most ranges. Everyone is usually respectful. There are idiots on both sides that cause waves betwwen the different shooting types. Everyone is familiar with the anti-"assault rifle" crowd, but in all honesty some of us need to be more considerate too. Last year at the same range two guys showed up and were rapid firing their M1 Garands and M1 carbines. They showed no intent to control their weapons and repeatedly hit other people's targets with their mad spray. I can guarantee you that some people left that range that day with a disdain for semi-auto shooters. We are all ambassadors of our sport, even amongst other shooters.
that's true there are some dumbasses that show up with daddy's handed down carbine, or their new WASR! and try to act like badasses. Usually under the age of 20, from what I've seen. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I've never had a problem,other than having to wait for a spot,but I usually go early in the morning and during inclimate weather.

·
Registered
621 Posts
MauserMark said:
BiggerStick47 said:
that's true there are some dumbasses that show up with daddy's handed down carbine, or their new WASR! and try to act like badasses. Usually under the age of 20, from what I've seen. :mrgreen:
No, I was with him, They were middle aged men. Probably in thier 40s- 50s trying to bump from the hip. They were literally shooting uncontrolably all over the place....other peoples targets, over the burm...everywhere. And they were talking extremely loud about how stupid clinton and his gun ban was and how democrats are so stupid...Trying to get people riled up hoping they would join thier conversation....You know obnoxious morons trying to sound cool! The kind of people that give us all a bad name. Luckily everyone just ignored them!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My view is at least they go to the range to check their zero. Don't let others bother you. I like it when they leave quickly. MV out!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts