AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise from members concerning .223 reloaded ammuntion I bought on gun broker. To make a long story short, I bought 1000 rounds of reloads off a guy on gun broker. Upon inspection, I noticed the following issues with the ammo I bought: necks not properly trimed, "wrinkled" primers, bullets with exposed striations. Some of these rounds have functioned but most FTE, FTL, FTF, in short it's junk. I contacted the seller and he will not give me my money back. So, at this point I feel the only thing I can do is sell this stuff as "components only" by that I mean sell it to somebody that can take the rounds apart and salvage what he can. My question is how much can I ask for it as it's not usable.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Without knowing what kind of powder is in them, you're pretty much stuck with only being able to sell the bullets. If the brass is all messed up with questionable primers, I doubt many people would be willing to buy it. It's also difficult/impossible to deprime brass with a live primer.

If they're not quality bullets and are usual 55 grain FMJ, then expect to sell pulled ones for $60-70 per thousand bullets.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's not difficult or impossible to knock live primer out of brass case. I've done it plenty of times. We're eye pro and no problem.

Walleye, you must be working on berdan primed brass or never tried it.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Is the seller a licensed and bonded manufacturer of ammunition? If so, please let us know who it is so we can avoid them. If not, maybe you can "convince" him into refunding you your money since it's not exactly kosher to sell reloads. Either way, the number one rule in shooting is never shoot someone's reloads. I take that a step further and won't even shoot "remanufactured" ammo. It's not worth the risk or savings and Tulammo is cheap if you're wanting to go that route. Pull the bullets and sell them. A reloader might be interested in the primed cases (they can be trimmed even while they're primed). The powder will be worthless since you probably aren't going to be able to sell it without the original containers...not knowing 100% for sure what kind of powder it is and all. Do you have a link to the gunbroker auction?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
It's not difficult or impossible to knock live primer out of brass case. I've done it plenty of times. We're eye pro and no problem.

Walleye, you must be working on berdan primed brass or never tried it.
Just one of those things that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing or recommending other people do. Already so many factors in reloading that it seems foolish to add in another variable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it was not a manufacturer it was a private individual. He did not disclose where he got them from, to be fair I did not ask. For all I know he reloaded them himself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You for the information, it was very helpful as I know next to nothing about reloading. I'm going to hang on to the ammunition for now until I figure out what to do with it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Manufacturing ammunition for sale requires an FFL. If the seller does not have an FFL then he can be charged and prosecuted. I say this so you can notify the seller that his local ATF office will be receiving a call regarding his business.

If he states he DOES have an FFL then look here to verify.
Listing of Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) - 2014 | ATF

My gut feeling is he is NOT an FFL and will warm up to the thought of refunding your money when you threaten to contact the ATF. And whether he does, or does not, refund you money take all your documentation and send it to the local ATF office of the seller. He does not need to be selling ammunition he reloads and consider yourself lucky because if he doesn't care enough to make them look decent then he probably doesn't care enough to make sure the powder charges are correct.

As far as what to do if you are stuck with the ammunition I would go buy a $15 impact puller and tear the ammunition down for components. I would toss the powder, unless you feel comfortable enough to reload after taking an average of 10, keep the bullets and keep the cases. It is possible to resize and trim cases with primers in place.

If you have any questions on reloading feel free to ask. I have had deal with exactly what you are going through except I was given ammo to tear down. I was able to reuse all components and make useable ammo.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chaotic Good? More like Lawful Good.
:roflmao:
Best laugh all day!

Not worried about the legal issues, rather the getting screwed hard part.

It sounds like the OP doesn't reload. If he did then he would have more options.

If you GAVE me that ammo I would not thank you for it. Having to pull 1000 bullets even with a collet puller would be a pain. The primed cases could be sorted and the ones with decent looking primers run through the press with the priming station deactivated... powder is junk, and is probably junk even if you did know what it was. (you don't think the guy used awesome powder?) Bullets? What are they? Won't know for sure until you start pulling some...

I mean some dude took a bunch of components, maybe decent components, and turned them into...into Gun Broker ammo. :doh:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm going to hang on to the ammunition for now until I figure out what to do with it.
That is not the worst option. Maybe a better solution will turn up later.

What Dolomite is saying is worth exploring as well.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't buy reloads from other people I do not know. The only time I bought .223 reloads they were improperly trimmed. You go loading those then bang the forward assist, you got high pressure.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
If somebody gave me reloads, for FREE, I won't take them. Reloads are useless, unless, you have reloaded them YOURSELF.

But then again, you might not like the configuration of your face.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Need some advise from members concerning .223 reloaded ammuntion I bought on gun broker. To make a long story short, I bought 1000 rounds of reloads off a guy on gun broker. Upon inspection, I noticed the following issues with the ammo I bought: necks not properly trimed, "wrinkled" primers, bullets with exposed striations. Some of these rounds have functioned but most FTE, FTL, FTF, in short it's junk. I contacted the seller and he will not give me my money back. So, at this point I feel the only thing I can do is sell this stuff as "components only" by that I mean sell it to somebody that can take the rounds apart and salvage what he can. My question is how much can I ask for it as it's not usable.

Thanks
Look on the bright side. You have learned not to buy reloads and you got that information without a trip to the ER or a wrecked gun.

Destroy the ammo and move on.

H

1 - 16 of 16 Posts