AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two grips' yesterday from K-Var. They'll be here on Friday. They are the new SAW grip's from Bulgaria. Here's a PIC.

I'm hoping that they fit OK on both my 107FR's, considering these gun's have the grip plate.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
not us made are they?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they are not.

On my two 107FR's, I replaced the polymer side folder's with Bulgarian triangle stock's. Since I replaced the US stock's with a foreign one's, I had to incorporate a US made part. I added Bulgarian styled FH's from DPHArms that are US made. Assuming these new grips will work out, I will then need to replace the foreign gas piston's with US made ones to be compliant.

I'm sure K-Var will offer USA made copies in the future.

·
Registered
695 Posts
lionhart said:
No, they are not.

On my two 107FR's, I replaced the polymer side folder's with Bulgarian triangle stock's. Since I replaced the US stock's with a foreign one's, I had to incorporate a US made part. I added Bulgarian styled FH's from DPHArms that are US made. Assuming these new grips will work out, I will then need to replace the foreign gas piston's with US made ones to be compliant.

I'm sure K-Var will offer USA made copies in the future.
How hard was it to replace the polymer side folder with the triangle stock?

Thanks,

Drkain

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drakinclaw,

Not difficult at all. I prefer the metal triangle for two reason's. 1) It's not plastic, and won't crack like the K-Var polymer stock's (I've had two with hairline crack's near the buttplate) 2) They are much more comfortable to shoot with. More so than even a fixed stock. I really do like them.

To install, simply turn your rifle over, remove the rear grip, and punch the stock retaining pin out starting from the bottom. Install new stock/replace pin/ENJOY!

Yes, I shall post PICS of the pair once these new grip's arrived.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
How does the latching and unlatching work with the triangle stocks? What I mean is, when the stock is latched at the front of the receiver (while folded), do you just pull on it to unlatch it? The polymer stocks have the "button" that pushes the latch out of the way for you. I just don't want to accidentally scratch up the triangle stock or something by trying to unlatch it improperly.

Also: lionhart, how did the cracks happen to the polymer stocks?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zane Zackerly said:
How does the latching and unlatching work with the triangle stocks? What I mean is, when the stock is latched at the front of the receiver (while folded), do you just pull on it to unlatch it? The polymer stocks have the "button" that pushes the latch out of the way for you. I just don't want to accidentally scratch up the triangle stock or something by trying to unlatch it improperly.

Also: lionhart, how did the cracks happen to the polymer stocks?
Zane,

Once the stock's are latched in the folded position, simply hit the lever with your thumb to unfold. There is no fumbling with it, nor scratching of the stock. As far as the crack's. They came that way from Arsenal on two 106FR's that I had a ton of problem's with. On both stock's, there were hairline crack's atop the spine on both, and an additional hairline on the bottom on one. Arsenal replaced those, and I later sold them off. I like the polymer side folder's, but I don't think they are as durable as they should be. Plus shooting with the metal traingle stock's is a lot more comfortable IMO.

I'll post a BEFORE PIC of the pair sometime today.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Is the triangle stock shorter than the polymer one? I think it is but can't really tell from the pics posted.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Zane Zackerly said:
Is the triangle stock shorter than the polymer one? I think it is but can't really tell from the pics posted.
The polymer stock is basically the same. Polymer appears to be about 1/8" taller (or longer installed) than Bulgarian and Russian triangle stocks, when standing them all on the flat of the receiver side where the hinge pin is located.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are just a few quick PICS.

The Specs on both:

1) G2 DOUBLE hook FCG's
2) Red Star Arms retainer plate's
3) Bulgarian AK47 piston type recoil spring assemblies's
4) Custom fitted unissued Soviet gas tube's. ZERO tilt, ZERO wobble
5) Bulgarian traingle stock's
6) DPHArms US replica of Bulgarian FH's
7) Replaced Bulgarian rear sight's with East German.
8) Black Blue Force slings with mash hooks
9) Bulgarian SAW grips** Soon if they fit
10) TAPCO Stainless gas piston's** If the grips fit.
11) Rifle's waiting for refinishing, after I get some other guns back.

·
Registered
789 Posts
lionhart said:
To install, simply turn your rifle over, remove the rear grip, and punch the stock retaining pin out starting from the bottom. Install new stock/replace pin/ENJOY!
Don't forget to take the dustcover off first.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CJFirefly said:
lionhart said:
Don't forget to take the dustcover off first.
Well of course! :wink:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Nice pair of rifles you have there. :smile:

lionhart said:
Any paticular reason for switching the rear sight? Are there differences between the two?

·
Registered
695 Posts
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?p ... 251&page=2

Is this what i need to order? Maybe ill get the plum with it as well, although i do like the tan.

So let me get this right....remove the dust cover, remove the rear grip, tap the pin out from the bottom (so the pin slides up), and replace? All the latches are exactly the same?

Oh, and maybe im just reading this wrong, when you say "Rear Grip" are you referring the the pistol grip? Thanks for the help.

When i get my 107 back from Arsenal, if it shoots well, im gonna ad the stock to it.

Also, if i add this new stock, does my warranty from Arsenal become void?

Drakin

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
drakinclaw said:
When i get my 107 back from Arsenal, if it shoots well, im gonna ad the stock to it.

Drakin

It should be 100% reversible. You shoulda seen what I had to "reverse" on my SA M7R that I sent back. :twisted:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
drakinclaw said:
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16830&cat=251&page=2

Is this what i need to order? Maybe ill get the plum with it as well, although i do like the tan.

So let me get this right....remove the dust cover, remove the rear grip, tap the pin out from the bottom (so the pin slides up), and replace? All the latches are exactly the same?

Oh, and maybe im just reading this wrong, when you say "Rear Grip" are you referring the the pistol grip? Thanks for the help.

Drakin
The correct link for the stock is here. http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16845&cat=283&page=2

Yes, it's that simple to install this stock. No, it won't void your warranty. In fact, Arsenal INC. used this as a selling point on their 106 rifle's when first introduced. When I say "Rear Grip", I'm referring to the pistol grip.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tangotag said:
Nice pair of rifles you have there. :smile:

lionhart said:
Any paticular reason for switching the rear sight? Are there differences between the two?
Thanks, but I know I'll add another :grin: I just hope I get lucky again like I did with this pair! The number's on the EG rear sight's are stamped deeper. Holds paint better.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
i fail to understand why you guys like the triangle ones more, please explain

1 - 20 of 33 Posts