AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 07, 1941....

"Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition, boys" (Lt.(jg) Howell M. Forgy, Chaplain on the Heavy Cruiser, New Orleans during the attack.

HEROISM during the 110 minutes of combat earned the following recognition: 16 Medals of Honor; 51 Navy Crosses; 53 Silver Stars; 4 Navy and Marine Corps medals; 1 Distinguished Flying Cross; 4 Distinguished Service Crosses;1 Distinguished Service Medal; and 3 Bronze Stars.

LOST at Pearl Harbor were the lives of 2,009 sailors, 109 Marines, 218 soldiers and at least 68 civilians. 18 ships severly damaged, including 7 of 8 Battleships. 394 aircraft, 188 destroyed, 159 damaged.

NEVER will another ship be named ARIZONA out of respect for her loss. 1177 sailors died when an armor peircing bomb penetrated her upper decks and exploded in her forward magazine. Burning debris from the Azizona did more damage to the Tennessee than the 2 Japonese bombs that hit her gun turrets.

To ALL those brave men and women who have SERVED, and espically for those who are serving now...My many THANKS and prayers of protection for you and your families...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Always remembered, never forgotten.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
My father (who turned 90 yesterday) is a Pearl Harbor survivor. He was in a costal artillery battery that morning. He still doesn't talk much about it.

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
That generation of men and women who served is rapidly fading into history. If your lucky enough to know Vets from that War, take some time out and talk to them if they are willing.

Gone, but not forgotten.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That generation of men and women who served is rapidly fading into history. If your lucky enough to know Vets from that War, take some time out and talk to them if they are willing.

Gone, but not forgotten.
Big +1

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My aunt who recently passed away had the foresight to take a small recorder home with her on holidays, vacations etc and recorded my Grandfather and Grandmother and had them tell their life stories. She made the recordings in the 1970's and I recently have obtained them and am going through listening to them and it is really cool hearing my grandparents who were in their late 70's recalling all the different things that occurred during their life time and what they endured as immigrants.

I got to hear stories of their survival during the 1st World War (Grandmas house was right between the lines, one day they would be German occupied and the next day under Russian control).

Grandpa's service in the Army 1st world war, Polish revolution and the 2nd WW.

The hardships of finding work as immigrants to Canada right in the middle of the depression.

If you still have some old timers around grab a cheap recorder and try to get them talking.....30 yrs from now you and your kids will appreciate it.

·
Banned
950 Posts
My grandfather had the foresight to enlist after Pearl Harbor. He knew what we were heading into and decided to not leave his fate up to chance. He chose the Navy with specific request for the South Pacific Theater. They fought their way all the way to a couple hundred miles off the coast of Japan. Then the bombs dropped and they went home. He talks about the good times they had but never about the bad stuff.

This is one of their stops along the way he talks about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Lingayen_Gulf

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I read the MOH citation for LT John Finn and Chief Peter Tomich at muster today, I just got blank stares from my sailors.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
About 5 years ago I was putting together some research for a living history unit I was trying organize. Luckily enough sometime ago I was able to interview a WWII vet of the 82nd Airborne-how he got there was a story in and of itself. I changed the unit focus after talking to him and interviewing him for about 3 hours. What a card he was-it helped his son (who was a friend of mine and had served in the 82nd) and he would not really tell too many stories to (Plus his wife was with him and she was an army nurse at that time and she got to give her side).
Information that truly helped and was neat to hear something I'll never forget for sure.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
One of my grandpas served during the battle of the bulge, he was in the tank corps. All of his brothers also served, one in Africa, one in the pacific, and one flew with the hell's angels bomber group. The one in the pacific was sent to one of the nuked sites, after the war, as a medic I think.
My other grandpa served as a Marine accountant during the Korean war. He was stationed in Japan. One time he and some buddies were drunk and a drift in the china sea. They got into other trouble too but he hasn't told me everything.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Pop was in the Coast Guard patrolling the Ohio River. Large munitions plant was located there near Cincinnati.

The call came out for volunteers to cross over to the Navy after Pearl was attacked.

Dad transferred over and took a train to Seattle, got his orders and deployed from San Diego to the Pacific Theater.

His Brother, my Uncle, was involved in the sweeping of mines before the Battle of Okinawa. The crew shot the mines in order to detonate.

He is still with us and turns 96 at the end of December. I always enjoy talking with him about his experiences during WWII

Never Forget the greatest generation.

·
Registered
972 Posts
My father was onboard the USS Lexington (CVA-2). The Lex and Task Force 12 had departed Pearl Harbor on December 5th to ferry 18 SB2U Vindicator Dive Bombers to Midway Island. Had she been in port on the morning of December 7th, it might well be the Lexington lying at permanent anchor in Pearl Harbor rather than the Arizona (and you would not be reading this, either), since aircraft carriers were considered a (if not the) prime target of the Japanese. I believe my grandmother's second husband (on my mother's side) was at Pearl on the 7th, as he had been in the USN since WW1.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Both of my Grandfathers were WWII Veterans. One of them was also a Korean War Veteran. I had several Great-Uncles that were WWII and Korean War Vets. My Dad and his brother were both Vietnam Veterans. I'm proud to say that I am a Combat Veteran of the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy. May we never forget the many sacrifices that occurred on that tragic day 77 years ago. Bless the victims, their families, as well as everyone else involved, and the ones who came after to defend our Liberty, our Freedom, and our way of life.

IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1857.JPG IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1856.JPG

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I made the trip to Pearl harbor twice when I was still an active Air Force guy on flying status on KC-135 tankers in the early 90's..Really something to experience and if you get a chance in your life to visit Hawaii on vacation or whatever do yourself a favor and make sure to take the time to go to Pearl City and go to the memorial. You'll be glad you took the time to go and take the tour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My father, a veteran of WWII, Korea and Vietnam told me that visiting the USS Arizona memorial was emotionally overpowering for him, a tough old westpac sailor. God Bless Dad..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts