AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well one thing is pretty well clear that if you try lone wolfing it you are pretty much screwed unless you are in a very isolated area of the country or bought one of those converted missile silos. The bad guys will gang up and if the good guys don't they will be screwed no matter how well supplied or trained....preppers will be a prime target they have the goodies.

When I was in high school the local university was doing a social experiment we got to participate in.

The scenario was a large maybe half court sized room with a large black tarp stretched across the room like a trampoline at about the 4 ft. level. Everyone (3-4 classes from school) were shoved in under the tarp with maybe a couple 100 1ft by 1ft square Styrofoam blocks and the main lights turned off and a few blacklight's turned on. Made for a dark slightly claustrophobic vibe. We were told to do whatever we wanted to do for the next hour or so.

Here's what happened:

People started grouping up together with others they knew
People started collecting Styrofoam squares and walling off areas
People started extending walls into forts with the blocks.
People started running out of blocks...not enough to go around so they start stealing them from other groups.
People get mad their stuff is being stolen, start knocking down other groups walls, stealing blocks.
People retaliate in kind soon everybody's fortification is destroyed.
Styrofoam blocks start to fly..total bedlam ensues.
Moderators turn on lights to end experiment before things get to out of hand.

Same results with 40 different groups of students....

Our next reading assignment was Lord of The Flies.

·
Registered
616 Posts
All this is pretty much why I don't bother with prepping. I believe my firearms will actually be something of a liability unless I use what I've got to arm myself and my neighbors and BE one of those pillaging parties.

·
Registered
22,617 Posts
Fear is a weapon. Despair is a poison.

Maybe it is pointless to try to prep for something. If you consider the odds.. yeah there's a good chance some asshole is going to kill you over a can of beans.. but then again there are assholes killing people over shoes or JUST FOR FUN right now...there will just be more out there.

There's a reason people formed tribes.. villages.. towns..cities. We're better off pulling together into a community than setting off on our own. Can it get ugly? oh yes. Will lots of people die? most certainly. But people have survived worse... otherwise we wouldn't be here.

I guess I'm too stupid to realize I'm fucked. Roll the dice.. no one gets out of life alive. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well nothing wrong with prepping for self sufficiency for 30-60 day window, I don't think anybody can fault doing that...if nothing else it might buy you time to find a group to tie up with. I think the article is trying to dispel some of the Omega man/ I am Legend fantasy notions.

Reactions: Nu2AKSKS

·
Super Moderator
26,337 Posts
Unless you live somewhere that takes several days to walk to it on foot, or several hours by car, you had best get to know your neighbors. If anything really bad were to happen, its those around you that are going to be your best shot at pulling through a big crisis.

IMO, people who live in small towns probably will have a better chance of survival than most. Lets all hope none of us never find out.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Preparation pays off... Regardless of what others say or feel, just look at the grocery stores or gas stations before a forecasted emergency. Ill never be one of those folks. I concur with the neighbors comment.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think that anyone who believes that they will sail through the collapse due to their preps is delusional.

Those who have done everything right MAY make it. Everyone else is pretty much fucked.

My favorite part of the article addressed bugging out. Whenever someone brings up the subject of a "Bug Out Bag" I want to ask "Where are you headed?"

I have a "Get Home Bag". My home situation is far from ideal, but I have food, water, guns, ammunition, PM's, a ton of booze, and two big fucking dogs who are highly attuned to what is their space and who does and does not belong in it. I have a couple neighbors who, while they may not be completely trustworthy when their families are starving, at least have parallel interests to mine. We have at least had preliminary discussions regarding making our neighborhood less attractive to the Zombie hordes.

In the end, we're all dead. When the time comes, I'll take a carpet of brass on my living room floor over freezing or starving to death in the woods.

SD01: I like that pic, too. Many cat owners in my neighborhood. I know what my dogs will be eating. Hold the mustard.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
. When the time comes, I'll take a carpet of brass on my living room floor over freezing or starving to death in the woods.
Thats how I see it. its not perfect but hitting the woods is suicide. If some really nast shit is happening I would need 10 miles to get to a highway and anoher hour to get to the mountains where there will still be people who might not like me being there. Besides my old man isnt making any hikes up mountains or evasive anything. Best he could do is play scarecrow. So Im bugging in where I know the area, the people and have all my stuff

·
Super Moderator
26,337 Posts
Bugging in can be a good option for some, but some people might have to bug out depending on their situation. If you have to go, make sure you have someplace to go to.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Bugging in can be a good option for some, but some people might have to bug out depending on their situation. If you have to go, make sure you have someplace to go to.
Got that right! I think most people like me have no other place to go so here I will stay!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
...you had best get to know your neighbors. If anything really bad were to happen, its those around you that are going to be your best shot at pulling through a big crisis.

IMO, people who live in small towns probably will have a better chance of survival than most. Lets all hope none of us never find out.
All good stuff above ^

We're pretty tight here in my local neighborhood area, with some jerks to keep an eye on thrown into the mix.

Less than ideal, maybe yeah, a little. But far better than it could be and is in other places.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Best write up I've read in a long time .
What's the best way to make God laugh? Tell him your plans.
Good luck to all of you if/when it goes down

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I'd never heard off DVM before now. Thanks for sharing.
One thing that kinda struck me as strange was Myth #5.
I mean, the guy certainly has more credentials and experience than me, but I just can't understand why defending the home is such a loosing proposition.
I understand that even just 1 armed man outside could raise some serious hell, but I don't think it's pointless to at least try.
When people are in that panicked, primitive state of mind, the first thing they recognize and respect is force; is it not?

·
Super Moderator
26,337 Posts
I'd never heard off DVM before now. Thanks for sharing.
One thing that kinda struck me as strange was Myth #5.
I mean, the guy certainly has more credentials and experience than me, but I just can't understand why defending the home is such a loosing proposition.
I understand that even just 1 armed man outside could raise some serious hell, but I don't think it's pointless to at least try.
When people are in that panicked, primitive state of mind, the first thing they recognize and respect is force; is it not?
Violence can work in the correct circumstance, you just need to judge how much you need to use. One person, or even family would have a hard time going it alone, but working with other families, or other community members is a good option IMO.

One of the things I took away from my experience in Iraq is fear can work in your favor, but there is always a danger you can go too far with use of force.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts