AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking about getting a pbs-1. Does anyone have hands on experience with one?
Worth the price and wait?
I collect imported Kalashnikov variants. Mostly the pre ban stuff. All with a 16" barrel or longer. I would like a can that could be moved from rifle to rifle without modifications. I don't necessarily want to build a dedicated suppressed platform. Witch is what brought me to the D.A. PBS-1.
I have had people tell me they are great and well worth it. I have had other's tell me otherwise. I dont have anyone here locally that i know that has one. Someone even told me they were as loud with a can as without. (I doubt it though.)
I shoot out doors at steel. I usaly do it without muff's. I dont expect it to be silent like a suppressed 45 or 22. Im just looking for it to be quite enough that i dont fell like im hurting my hearing. I would usaly use full power ammunition and occasionally custom subsonic ammunition. Also maybe 22 in one of the 22 ak trainer's.
If anyone has hand's on experience please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have no experience with the wolverine but after talking to several people I decided to go with my Sandman-S. The center bore on the pbs-1 can has a greater opening to allow for the tolerances in the bore concentric of the different AK platforms, therefore making it a little louder. All the ones I plan on running suppressed meet the criteria, except a Romanian one. You can get a bore alignment rod to check yours to figure out which to go with. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Take this for what is worth. If you suppress the AK either get a KNS piston or cut slots in your piston to relieve some pressure. I know they say the Wolverine is a low pressure suppressor, but my Draco receiver begs to differ.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Take this for what is worth. If you suppress the AK either get a KNS piston or cut slots in your piston to relieve some pressure. I know they say the Wolverine is a low pressure suppressor, but my Draco receiver begs to differ.
Whats happening to your receiver?

·
Registered
189 Posts

It was destroyed. The bolt carrier slammed too hard into the rear trunnion. The impact was so strong that the rivets elongated and cracked the receiver beyond repair. I have read other accounts of damage to rear trunnions, but nothing to my extreme. It seems to be worse in SBR/ Pistol AKs in 7.62x39. Lessen learned for me. I wont suppress any AK unless it has vented off some of the gas. I have several AKs that I suppress and all have KNS pistons.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It was destroyed. The bolt carrier slammed too hard into the rear trunnion. The impact was so strong that the rivets elongated and cracked the receiver beyond repair. I have read other accounts of damage to rear trunnions, but nothing to my extreme. It seems to be worse in SBR/ Pistol AKs in 7.62x39. Lessen learned for me. I wont suppress any AK unless it has vented off some of the gas. I have several AKs that I suppress and all have KNS pistons.
That makes me think twice about doing this. I wouldn't be vary happy if i tore up one of my pre bans, even if it was a shooter. It seems that there is much to be considered. When suppressing Kalashnikov variants besides the ovieus concerns.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I hope I did not totally shy you away. Where I shoot at, I require a suppressor to appease the neighbors. I do like shooting the AK suppressed. I just wanted to be sure you took some precautions. I think the best method is a purpose build AK. Get something with a shorter barrel so it is not so damn nose heavy with a can on it. Then add either an adjustable piston or cut grooves in the piston to vent access gas. I went with KNS because I can adjust accordingly for both suppressed and non-suppressed.

I have also used my AAC 7.62 SDN6 on my M92. That one I had the barrel retreaded to 1/2x28 concentric a couple years ago. That gun was so over gassed that it would not function. I gave up on trying to suppress it. Then the piston come out and bought one and fell in love with that gun again.

The Wolverine is a heavy pig. On the end of a 16" barrel, it weighs the muzzle down.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope I did not totally shy you away. Where I shoot at, I require a suppressor to appease the neighbors. I do like shooting the AK suppressed. I just wanted to be sure you took some precautions. I think the best method is a purpose build AK. Get something with a shorter barrel so it is not so damn nose heavy with a can on it. Then add either an adjustable piston or cut grooves in the piston to vent access gas. I went with KNS because I can adjust accordingly for both suppressed and non-suppressed.

I have also used my AAC 7.62 SDN6 on my M92. That one I had the barrel retreaded to 1/2x28 concentric a couple years ago. That gun was so over gassed that it would not function. I gave up on trying to suppress it. Then the piston come out and bought one and fell in love with that gun again.

The Wolverine is a heavy pig. On the end of a 16" barrel, it weighs the muzzle down.
Ok. I appreciate the information. After all that is why i posted the question.
I've been told by more than one person i should build a dedicated can rig. I can see why they are telling me that.
My idea was to get the pbs-1 so i could swap to any of my pre bans for range day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The noise reduction is minimal on the ak platform due to piston slap. However on a direct gas impingement it is great (ar). Just depends you reason for wanting one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The noise reduction is minimal on the ak platform due to piston slap. However on a direct gas impingement it is great (ar). Just depends you reason for wanting one.
Nope no AR's dont like them. Dont even want to touch those nasty things. What a death trap.
Thanks for sharing anyhow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know its not going to be as quiet as others could be. I'm still kicking it around though.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Take a look at this...it's got some very interesting comparisons...

Thanks G...don't know what happened but I think it's fixed now...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The PBS-1 silencer works correctly with the 7 .62 *39УС cartridge (57-Н-231У). It 's a cartridge with a heavy bullet and a small powder charge.When firing an ordinary cartridge with PBS-1, PBS will be destroyed.For firing an ordinary cartridge there is a new generation of silencers. ATG (for 100 series of AK), TGP-A (for AKM and AK-47). These devices reduce the sound of a shot.
But they work louder than PBS-1 with a cartridge of 7.62УС

·
Registered
418 Posts
The PBS-1 silencer works correctly with the 7 .62 *39УС cartridge (57-Н-231У). It 's a cartridge with a heavy bullet and a small powder charge.When firing an ordinary cartridge with PBS-1, PBS will be destroyed.For firing an ordinary cartridge there is a new generation of silencers. ATG (for 100 series of AK), TGP-A (for AKM and AK-47). These devices reduce the sound of a shot.
But they work louder than PBS-1 with a cartridge of 7.62УС
Are you referring to the original Russian PBS-1? Not the US Wolverine?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Dead Air Wolverine on an ak is not quiet. The bullet is supersonic, and just rack an ak really quick if you wanna know roughly how loud the rifle is without even firing.

But, it does kill the concussion at the muzzle, which is great. Amazing, if you've never experienced a silencer.

Also, it looks fucking badass. Use it or not, people are going to be jelly when you're hitting the same steel at the range with you're shitty combloc rifle with iron sights and cheap steel rounds, and they have they're fancy 1500$ rifle and $3g scope and $2 a round cartidges.

Sorry, I got off topic, heres a picture:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts