AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Are the DDR folder and the Romi folder identical? I am thinking of doing a clone and need the folder. Where can you get them? They both slide onto a regular trunnion right? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
They are very similar. The early Romy used a push button. The later ones used a lever like the EG. In typical German fashion their side folder has more engineering. The pg nut goes through an extension on the EG that the Romy does not have. Also the EG side folder has a smaller sling loop.

There is a side by side photo comparison in the reference section, that will explain a lot.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Regardless of whether they have a push-button or a lever release for the catch mechanism, the profiles of the stocks are very different.

If you're building an East German lookalike, I think people will spot a Romanian stock a mile away.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My EG stock has one screw hole and hardware to interface with the pistol grip. My Romy has two screw holes, some of my tangs only have one. Any idea on what gives?

·
Registered
130 Posts
GPSIG said:
My EG stock has one screw hole and hardware to interface with the pistol grip. My Romy has two screw holes, some of my tangs only have one. Any idea on what gives?
Im not trying to be a smartass but if you take off the dustcover and remove the recoil spring you will see where the other screw goes.
If I didnt understand your question correctly then disregard.
Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Also with the E. Germans like the Polish Tantal folder, you are gonna need a early rear AKM trunnion that is solid across the forward revit set versus the split type on latter AKM and AK-74 production rifles. The good thing about the Romy's is you can throw them on either style.

Hootbro

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
BulletBait said:
All due respect Fireman, you got that backwards.
The lever type came first and the push-button is the newer type.
Bullet,you're right. My bad on that one. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. :goof:

However when you can't log later,you'll know why. :lol:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Tease!
Here I was getting ready to brag about being the first one banned.:mad:

BOT;

The two Polish ones I got have would be a PITA to remove once the tang is rivited in, instead of a second screw, they each have two roll pins driven in.

·
Registered
487 Posts
gradywhite said:
GPSIG said:
Im not trying to be a smartass but if you take off the dustcover and remove the recoil spring you will see where the other screw goes.
If I didnt understand your question correctly then disregard.
Hope this helps.
Nope, I am an AK noob and actually that stupid. Thanks for the fast help and the answers--it will all work perfectly. Thanks to others for their responses as well.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
GPSIG said:
All East German side-folders have only one top screw. With the pistol grip screw and nut anchoring the stamped steel "shoe" (through the square cut-out), they are sturdy enough when mounted.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Those are great pics, thanks. Will the MPi-AKS-74 fit like a standard 72 model? Any difference other than sling size?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
GPSIG said:
Those are great pics, thanks. Will the MPi-AKS-74 fit like a standard 72 model? Any difference other than sling size?
Yup, sure will, I just installed one on my SLR-105A1.

Good to see you over here GPSIG!

:cool:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Templar said:
GPSIG said:

Thanks Templar. Ironic that you would respond, before you led me to the darkside with that SLR-105 you sold me around thanksgiving I was happily living in ARland. Now? One collecter's grade polish underfolder kit, one collector's grade Tantal kit, one standard Tantal kit, two Romy kits (one unissued). Oh yeah, and a K-Var Krink kit and AK-100 folder inbound from Russia. Templar, you are a bad man...

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
GPSIG said:
Templar said:
GPSIG said:

Thanks Templar. Ironic that you would respond, before you led me to the darkside with that SLR-105 you sold me around thanksgiving I was happily living in ARland. Now? One collecter's grade polish underfolder kit, one collector's grade Tantal kit, one standard Tantal kit, two Romy kits (one unissued). Oh yeah, and a K-Var Krink kit and AK-100 folder inbound from Russia. Templar, you are a bad man...

Thanks man, I do my best. :twisted: :animak:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts