AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
I think as a general rule it's not a good idea to eat them until after the first frost of the year. That kills off the little mites they carry that can infect you.
Damn good eatin' though. I love rabbit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,119 Posts
unless you are eating it raw I would not worry about it. :smile: cook it good and you will be fine. I like mine stuffed with frozen Vegall and tators wrap it all up in foil and cook away. :grin: They can get a boilworm it will look like a open sore. I would toss those .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Rabbit is really lean meat. You can get protein poisoning because there is not enough fat if you eat it too many meals
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
PanzerSlayer said:
Rabbit is really lean meat. You can get protein poisoning because there is not enough fat if you eat it too many meals
We don't have that problem in the South.

Send it for a swim in some batter, and then a hot oil bath . . . .


Not missing any fat here . . .

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
i was always told not to eat summer rabbits unless its nessacary...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,875 Posts
I took a rabbit on memorial day.. sucker had a few HUGE ticks on it but looked fine otherwise.

Skinned and gutted it.. someone local said to look out for spots or bumps on the liver. I dont remember seeing any but i wasnt exactly looking for them... it had an overnight Salt water bath and dropped into the deep freezer promptly.

now I'm not so sure I should eat it.. eh.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
698 Posts
10Gauge said:
I took a rabbit on memorial day.. sucker had a few HUGE ticks on it but looked fine otherwise.

Skinned and gutted it.. someone local said to look out for spots or bumps on the liver. I dont remember seeing any but i wasnt exactly looking for them... it had an overnight Salt water bath and dropped into the deep freezer promptly.

now I'm not so sure I should eat it.. eh.
You would be fine. The warnings you had given to you are correct. Otherwise, don't sleep where you skinned the rabbit and you are okay.

Frost or freeze does not do anything to ticks or fleas that are on the rabbit. Cold weather just reduces the numbers of ticks/fleas over time because the insects go dormant.

Any rabbit is good to eat. Just use half a brain and be sanitary about it.

If you see funkyness IN the amimal, DO NOT EAT IT.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
698 Posts
nalioth said:
PanzerSlayer said:
Rabbit is really lean meat. You can get protein poisoning because there is not enough fat if you eat it too many meals
We don't have that problem in the South.

Send it for a swim in some batter, and then a hot oil bath . . . .


Not missing any fat here . . .

That is a fine spread and not a hint of green to be seen.

I'd do a gumbo with that meat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
I was raised by my Grandfather on the reserve, I almost forgot about this until I read your post. He showed me a liver of a rabbit that had Tularemia. They exhibted yellow spots on the liver when the Rabbit is infected.

Anyone chime in if I am wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
norseman said:
I was raised by my Grandfather on the reserve, I almost forgot about this until I read your post. He showed me a liver of a rabbit that had Tularemia. They exhibted yellow spots on the liver when the Rabbit is infected.

Anyone chime in if I am wrong.
That is correct.

The meat is still OK to eat.

Tularemia is a bacteria, not a virus, and proper cleaning/handling and cooking should be observed

It's all about not getting its blood in a cut on your hand, so were rubber gloves.

That also goes for dressing birds in an area that has had West Nile disease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
This thread brings back memories for me as well. I grew up eating wild game along with home raised rabbits for meat. I do remember Dad looking at the livers for spots, dont remember bumps though. I can only think of one rabbit having yellow spots on the liver in my lifetime. I dont think we ate it.

We butchered Rabbits mainly in the fall, but not exclusivly. Fall was nice due to the cool weather. Rabbits make great meat. My mouth is watering for some of Mom's rabbit stew. Man, it has been some time since I have had that but just the thought of it makes me almost able to smell it.

Alot of our dinner rabbits started out as easter presents to me and my three other siblings. I know, sound a bit strange to eat your cuddly little friend. We grew up just knowing that was the life cycle of things and I always looked forward to butcher day. I was the youngest and it was a great biology lesson for me.

I would love to raise rabbits for meat now, but my wife who was brought up in the city just dosen't want any part of taking care of an animal to one day eat it. ???? I guess she just dosen't know hungry! LOL!!!

Thanks for all the great posts guys! Keep them comming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Oh yea, I thought the first frost just got rid of the warbels in small wild game. Warbels are to my understanding just fly larve that has embeded itself in the skin of the animal. I know I refrain from shooting small game until the first good frost. I guess you could eat one with a warble if it is cooked properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
What does rabbit taste like?

Please don't say chicken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
ashooter said:
Angel King said:
What does rabbit taste like?

Please don't say chicken.

Okay... it tastes like squirrel.


:grin:
Nah, squirrel tends to taste gamier, or nuttier, perhaps. A lot of it depends upon what they've been feeding on, less so, perhaps, for rabbits and hares. I've had a ton of rabbit in paella, and more than a few squirrels from various uncles who hunted.

Now, for the real gross-out: who's eaten road kill and willing to admit it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
Now, for the real gross-out: who's eaten road kill and willing to admit it?
Yep as a kid, however we were the ones who hit it with the car. Rabbit, racoon and deer.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top