AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Mods, please move this if this forum is not appropriate*

Anyone have a VZ-58? I have done a bit of research and am intrigued by this weapon (even though its not an AK) I am hoping to find some user comments on this rifle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I love mine..they are light weight fast on target and accurate for what they are..just remember they take their own magazine

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. BTW, does anyone currently build these? Can they even be built in the US? Would you happen to have any pics, cdngunplumber??

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
here are afew pics...the top one is a CZH2003.with the normal lenght barrel and a CZ858 with longer barrel under it

when I get my damn digicam program working again..I'll take more pics

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Nice Rifles,while not AKs they're definately in the category as far as I'm concerned.I've entertained the thought of getting one on more than one occasion,be sure and post pics if you find one! :wink:

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
"Real" ones are pricey here in the U.S., so I purchased a dummy Vz.58P from the Sportsmans Guide. It's kind of chintzy, with a plastic receiver and only the major parts present. It
would suffice as a wall hanger (from a distance):

I got this Vz.58P kit from AKParts.com:

It's an earlier one. Marked with the code "she 62", it was
manufactured at Povaska Bystrica in 1962. The Czechs painted all the
metal on these rifles with dark gray enamel.

The Czechs used a unique material for the handguards and pistol
grips. It's a phenolic resin impregnated with wood chips. Early
buttstocks were solid wood (beech, I think), but later ones were made with
this same plastic. Neat stuff: strong, light, and attractive.

Here, a plastic butt's on top, wooden one underneath it.

Even the bayonets use this material for grips.

The magazines are aluminum and do not interchange with AK's, but
they are sturdy and extremely well-made. Like the earlier Vz.52's,
these rifles were originally chambered for the unique Czech 7.62 x 45
ammunition, and later were adapted to use 7.62 x 39. That built-up track on the
spine houses a sturdy bolt hold-open projection on the follower.

All of the internal parts are included with the AKParts kit (most of which
were left out of the Sportsman's Guide dummy gun). As you see, it's more complicated than an AK.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Buddy of mine who's a PMC carried one in Afghanistan for a while and he loved it.

Apparently the Czechs donated a bunch of NIB vz-58's to the Afghan gov't and he aquired one.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Templar said:
Buddy of mine who's a PMC carried one in Afghanistan for a while and he loved it.

Apparently the Czechs donated a bunch of NIB vz-58's to the Afghan gov't and he aquired one.
I knew afew fellows doing the same thing..they now are using New M4 carbines and M249's

and come to canada and buy complete working rifles for 650 CDN.....yes I have to rub it in....you guys get all the way more cool stuff so its few and far between when we can rub it in :grin:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
also to add to Richards comment on the stocks...early 58's used wood butts.top wood,handguard and pistol grip..later made guns had the resin/wood chip material...it looks very cheesy but its durable and light weight. The biggest problem with the 58's is the finish..the grey paint just doesn't cut it ...so KG or duracoat will be your answer if you don't care about keeping the gun "original"

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
you'll fall in love with them even more once you've shot one.I shoot both mine twice a week minimum

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Richard W. said:
$650 Canadian = $562.826 USD.

I still couldn't really afford one!

I do hope to at least fam-fire one someday.
Thanks for the pricing! Now I've just gotta find out..can I 'order" one from Canada? I know irt can't be that simple! I assume it would violate 922r...Anyone know if the US parts requirement is the same?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Dieter122 said:
AK74Guy said:
Richard W. said:
$650 Canadian = $562.826 USD.

I still couldn't really afford one!

I do hope to at least fam-fire one someday.
Thanks for the pricing! Now I've just gotta find out..can I 'order" one from Canada? I know irt can't be that simple! I assume it would violate 922r...Anyone know if the US parts requirement is the same?
we cant import from Canada i dont think....not firearms like that at least
correct........just like we can't import the domestic AK's and AKM's made in the states :sad:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
The last I heard,they're bringing around 1200.00 in the States.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts