AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my dealer today and he has a very unusual short Mauser. Turns out it's a 33/40 Czech Mauser... No import marks - buddies bring back at some point.

it seems to be missing the Rear sight and the hooded front site. Any idea of a good site to locate these parts or find out more about this little gem?

Doesn't sound like he'll sell it to me yet, but I'm always #1 for these after he's done playing and researching it himself.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
If its a real Czech carbine, its the Vz 33...buy it now if your able to, these are rare/uncommon. You might have trouble finding a rear sight for it, but when you find one, it will be complete. I don"t believe the Czechs numbered those like the Germans.
Look closely at the markings, it MIGHT have German markings on it, as some of these were pressed into wartime service with Gerbergstruppen. Some times the Czech Lion on the reciever was ground off, sometimes not.
I may be able to locate a rear sight for you if you get the rifle. I"m not promising anything, but I have good contacts with other Mauser collectors.

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
http://www.gunpics.net/czech/vz33/vz33.html

Take another look at the disk on the stock, most of these rifles in Czech service were used by Police units I believe, and some still carry the markings.
Write down what you find, and I"ll try to help you on the markings.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll shoot some pics of it as soon as I can get in there..might be a week from today with my current schedule...thanks for your help!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
Exotic-Toys said:
oh yea, VERY general price range??
An all matching rifle that has not been rebluedued, and is unsanded with an excellent barrel usually goes for over $1200.
There are lots of factors involved with special markings, wood condition, et centra ad nauseum. Like any firearms purchase, gun folks like you and I know the basics of what to look for with overall condition, use that as your guide.
The lack of a rear sight presents a BIG problem with the price in your case, those things are not easy to find.
Without pics, and with what you have said about the rifle, its hard to say what a fair offer would be.
My best SWAG would be $400-$600...but that only a guess. The reciever should be marked with the "Rampent Lion", or BRNO and a date (1935-1938) that the Czechs used. If its been scrubbed, look for German marks on the side of the rear sight, S/42 or something of that nature.

If the stock is marked it should be by either the police (CETN) or the Ministry of the Treasury Guard (FS) on the marking disk. The production of this carbine is about 25,311...a rare rifle indeed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts