AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a CZ-52 in pretty decent shape. However, it's recently developed a habit of slidelock.

After the last cartridge is fired, the slide locks all the way back, and I can't release it. If I get a pair of fingernail clippers and extend the file, I can push down on the little lever next to the grip, right below the slide (on the safety side of the gun). This causes the slide to snap back normally.

This is fine for a range gun but unacceptable if I ever had to use it in a self-defense situation. Slide moves normally with no magazine in the gun. If I put a magazine in and manually cycle it through all the rounds, on the last round the slide will lock again.

Any ideas what's wrong with it? Is it something I could fix myself, or should I take it to a gunsmith?

·
Registered
821 Posts
can the slide go farward with our the mag in it? let say the last round was fired and you remove the mag......the release the slide, will it work?

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as I can tell from what your describing - it is acting exactly as it should. The slide locks back after the last round is fired. You now have an empty magazine. You now remove the empty mag, insert a loaded mag and pull the slide back. It should slam forward loading a round. You now have a loaded pistol again.

A couple of quick checks:
With no magazine in the gun it should cycle freely.
With an EMPTY magazine in the gun - it should lock the slide back when cycled.
Now remove the mag and cycle the gun - it should again work freely.

The magazine has an area in the front on the follower that pushes up on the slide lock when the mag is empty. The 52 doesn't come with a slide release as seen in newer handguns. This can be bothersome when working ths slide with an empty mag in the gun. What I do to release the slide when locked back is to just let the mag drop just a half inch or so - to remove the pressure exerted by the follower in the mag and then cycle the slide.

Hope this helps.

***Remember to treat all guns as if they are always loaded.***

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RJSIXGUN said:
can the slide go farward with our the mag in it? let say the last round was fired and you remove the mag......the release the slide, will it work?
Nope... the slide locks back permanently. The only way to release it is to get a small file and push down on the lever above the grip.

1033traffic said:
As far as I can tell from what your describing - it is acting exactly as it should. The slide locks back after the last round is fired. You now have an empty magazine. You now remove the empty mag, insert a loaded mag and pull the slide back. It should slam forward loading a round. You now have a loaded pistol again.
All of that works up until the "insert a loaded mag and pull the slide back" part. I can remove the old mag and insert a loaded mag, but I can't pull the slide back any farther. It just "clicks" and doesn't reset.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It sounds like a problem with the slide stop. maybe lookin to geting an aftermarket slide stop with a thumb release on it like whats on a 1911. I know makarov.com use to sell these things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, I figured it out.

Looking at this picture:

The spring on my pistol was UNDER the lever, instead of above it as shown in the pic. I moved the spring position and now the slide release works the way it should.

(I also managed to knock the magazine spring out of place. That was fun, trying to reinstall)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts