AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Stupid question but what is the best way of imprinting those on to the receiver?
A hardened receiver is difficult to stamp cleanly. Unless pressed with a lot of force and backed properly to prevent denting it is not a good method.
Stamping before heat treat and/or engraving after or electro-etching are the best receiver methods.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
A hardened receiver is difficult to stamp cleanly. Unless pressed with a lot of force and backed properly to prevent denting it is not a good method.
Stamping before heat treat and/or engraving after or electro-etching are the best receiver methods.
This is very true. I use stamps, but I stamp them into my flat before I even bend it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The PJTOOL and supply Cyrillic stamps are for non heat treated material. They will deform if you try to stamp a front trunnion. Etch with a template or have it engraved.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
For me, electro-etching has been the best solution. I've gotten very good at making stencils and applying them to the metal. Below is my second attempt on a Bulgarian receiver I made (my second). My third receiver attempt was even better.

The next receiver I do will have improved letters and safety lever notches, as I've scanned an original and created the vector graphics off of that. My earlier attempts were taken from photos in this forum and eye-balling.

I use an Etch-O-Matic.

electro_etch_01.jpg

Phil

·
Registered
225 Posts
nothing looks more original then stamp's if your as picky as i am, the only downfall is each stamp cost over $100, im still working on a jig for my press before i attempt to stamp a harden receiver, the picture of the receiver section i stamped is done by hand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have some brass stenciled plates which I used in the Marines, the interchangeable plates slide together to create the words and you just paint away.
We also had a stencil maker which had like a steering wheel, you turn it to the letter and it punched it out. I still have a few of those stencils made from manila folders with my name and SSN. Typically we use them to spray paint our clothes for onboard ship, to keep your clothes from walking away.

I tried to find something similar in Cyrilic for marking the Gun cases I am working on but could not find any suitable Cyrillic stencils which left me to print out font and cut it out with a knife.

Anyone seen Cyrillic stencil sets around?

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Phil I've been looking for etching stencils. Contact me if you're making them for sale!
I can. What version(s) do you need? I only have good source material for the Bulgarian AK-74 right now.

I'm thinking of getting a full set of crushed receivers from Apex in order to make additional templates for stencils of other variations, but haven't done it yet.

Phil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts