AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of cutaway rifles for sale as parts kits - not a whole lot, but enough - that it got me to wondering why these have to be cut up like working firearms. I was under the impression that cutaway rifles could not be made into functioning firearms, yet import requirements still has them as being torched. Is this 'once a machinegun, always a machine gun' at play again? What meets the definition of a deactivated firearm here?

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Cut receiver and cut barrels is what the ATF accepts regardless of if it was a working firearm or a cutaway trainer firearm. Even though the fact that a cutaway trainer firearm will never fire the rules and regulations still call for it to be imported in the same matter.

I wouldn't mind having one if the price of them wasn't soo high. For what their going for you can get a non cut parts kit.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Another good example to add to what 22 said was the Izhmash made BB guns. They obviously couldn't be made to accept a freakin bullet, but they were still banned from importation because they were built on real receivers (despite being extremely hard-impossible to convert back)

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Another good example to add to what 22 said was the Izhmash made BB guns. They obviously couldn't be made to accept a freakin bullet, but they were still banned from importation because they were built on real receivers (despite being extremely hard-impossible to convert back)

Like all good things, it just takes one ass hat to spoil it for the rest. The original Yunker air rifles were approved for importation as is. Then you got more than a handful of instanced of people building function rifles off those air rifle receivers and the ATF shut that down real quick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts