AK Rifles banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well, I have doubts if any AK-63 exported before 1980. This is because based on the FÉG official records about AK-63F (AMM), the factory restarted production of the old AKM-63 with new wood furniture and created the first batch of AK-63F in August 1976 for military acceptance test. Due to bureaucracy, the first AK-63F serial batch started to produce only in November 1979. The AK-63D (AMMSz) started to produce a bit later only in April 1980.

This AK-63 could not be mixed with the older AKM-63 MAT (Műanyag Tusás) equipped with plastic grips and stock. Those guns were refurbished and their plastic parts changed to wooden ones as well as their bare metal gas tube changed to a wooden one. This called AKM-63 FAT (Fa Tusás). This was exported to various countries such as Iraq, Iran, Syria, Egypt, and so on. Gun serials tell the truth.

AK-63 serials pool: GA XXXX - HH XXXX
AKM-63 serials pool: MA XXXX - ML XXXX (with a few exceptions: AKM-63I with infra mount have EA XXXX - EB XXXX serials)
SA-85/SA-85M serials pool: SM XXXXX - SN XXXXX

This picture is from 1980 FÉG's monthly newspaper: "For the celebration of the liberation of Hungary, on April 4, the first series of new submachine guns were produced."
View attachment 312317

This Iranian Soldier from November 1982 had refurbished AKM-63 which can be distinguished by the lack of slant muzzle brake.
View attachment 312318

For reference: Refurbished AKM-63's keep their old-style handguard retainer which has an extra hole at their side.
View attachment 312319
Did the refurbished AKM-63 get vented gas tubes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
For example, I don't believe the Hungarian rifles, unlike the Soviet original, has lightening grooves on the bolt.
Could you please post some examples of what type of bolt refers as lightened? I have bunch of HU AK, AKM around me so I can check its bolts.

And yes, refurbished AKM-63 used the same vented gas tubes that in used for later the AK-63.

Those parts existed in so many subvariations due to not only the FÉG but other companies like Danuvia produce parts for those weapons.
For example, Danuvia produced, dust covers, trigger guard, fire selector, lower handguard, receiver, and so many mags for AK-55, AKM-63, AMD-65, AMP, AK-63

·
Registered
508 Posts
Could you please post some examples of what type of bolt refers as lightened? I have bunch of HU AK, AKM around me so I can check its bolts.

And yes, refurbished AKM-63 used the same vented gas tubes that in used for later the AK-63.

Those parts existed in so many subvariations due to not only the FÉG but other companies like Danuvia produce parts for those weapons.
For example, Danuvia produced, dust covers, trigger guard, fire selector, lower handguard, receiver, and so many mags for AK-55, AKM-63, AMD-65, AMP, AK-63
Sounds to me like the vented gas tube was identical to the AK-47/AK-55.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds to me like the vented gas tube was identical to the AK-47/AK-55.
Yes, theoretically, But I bought an AK-55 handguard set in the past which wasn't fit my AK-63, It was slightly longer.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, theoretically, But I bought an AK-55 handguard set in the past which wasn't fit my AK-63, It was slightly longer.
Were the wood components used in the refurbished AKM-63 identical in all aspects to those of the AK-63?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, I know those books. The problem has had no sources listed in relation to the Hungarian AKMs. This could be coming from other countries, not directly sold by Hungary. I found nothing in the archives about that. It estimated 11,000 Hungarian AKMs received in the Caribbean region, but only a few shown in photos or even captured.

Based on the records, Hungary sold 7000 pcs older AK-55 to Cuba through a German company based on Duesseldorf named, Comex Eisen und Stahl GmbH in 1968. Nothing in 1969, then between 1970-1980 21800 pcs AK-55, 12000 pcs AMD-65 sold through various companies. But no AKM-63 listed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks, I know those books. The problem has had no sources listed in relation to the Hungarian AKMs. This could be coming from other countries, not directly sold by Hungary. I found nothing in the archives about that. It estimated 11,000 Hungarian AKMs received in the Caribbean region, but only a few shown in photos or even captured.

Based on the records, Hungary sold 7000 pcs older AK-55 to Cuba through a German company based on Duesseldorf named, Comex Eisen und Stahl GmbH in 1968. Nothing in 1969, then between 1970-1980 21800 pcs AK-55, 12000 pcs AMD-65 sold through various companies. But no AKM-63 listed.
Maybe Hungary sold to Nicaragua during the 1980s. The Nicaraguan government then could have given some to their Salvadoran rebel friends.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Maybe Hungary sold to Nicaragua during the 1980s. The Nicaraguan government then could have given some to their Salvadoran rebel friends.
I have a theory regarding the supposed AK63 in El Salvador. I think whoever did the survey misidentified NK Type 68 as Hungarian. Of my photos and correspondence with a knowledgeable member here no more than 25% of FMLN weapons were combloc. They had very varied weaponry much of it captured. M16, G3, AKs, FAL, SVD even some Steyr MPi69. They got outside help mainly from Nicaragua and corrupt Hondurans who playing both sides.
NorK and East German AKs were the most common, Polish and Russian were also present. There almost certainly were AMD65s there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a theory regarding the supposed AK63 in El Salvador. I think whoever did the survey misidentified NK Type 68 as Hungarian. Of my photos and correspondence with a knowledgeable member here no more than 25% of FMLN weapons were combloc. They had very varied weaponry much of it captured. M16, G3, AKs, FAL, SVD even some Steyr MPi69. They got outside help mainly from Nicaragua and corrupt Hondurans who playing both sides.
NorK and East German AKs were the most common, Polish and Russian were also present. There almost certainly were AMD65s there.
Yeah, that's could be the case. Especially since the number of AK-63 / AKM-63 produced, except for a dozen weapons, is equal to the total number of domestic and exported weapons on the register. So 11,000 AK-63 or AKM-63 guns could not theoretically get to El Salvador.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yeah, that's could be the case. Especially since the number of AK-63 / AKM-63 produced, except for a dozen weapons, is equal to the total number of domestic and exported weapons on the register. So 11,000 AK-63 or AKM-63 guns could not theoretically get to El Salvador.
I imagine the AMD65 was the most produced but how many AK47 family rifles has Hungary produced in total then?

Cubans in Angola 1975

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the picture: Commander Alberto Colome Ibarra (center with glasses), who commanded FAPLA-Cuban forces at Battle of Bridge 14 on 12 December 1975.

Hungary produced the following AK family rifles:

·
Registered
508 Posts
The studies I posted mentioned BOTH Hungarian and North Korean. I would think that the person studying the weapons would look over all characteristics to make sure of their origins.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What's the differences between AKM-63 types?
AKM-63 - Original AKM style. Had plywood pistol grip, lower and upper handguard.
AKM-63 I - "Infravörös" (Infrared) - Equipped with an NSP-2 Night Vision side-mount. Had plywood pistol grip, lower and upper handguard. All other types below had metal lower handguard.
AKM-63 MAT - "Műanyag Tusás" (Plastic buttstock) - Had plastic grips and buttstock
AKM-63 FAT (refurbished MAT) - "Fatusás" (Wood buttstock) - Refurbished MAT's. Their plastic parts changed to steamed beech wood
AKM-63 I MAT (refurbished I) - "Infravörös Műanyag Tusás" (Infrared Wood buttstock) - Refurbished I's. Their plywood grip changed to steamed beech wood, also lower and upper handguard changed to AKM-63 style (metal lower handguard, and bare-metal gas tube.

·
Registered
508 Posts
AKM-63 - Original AKM style. Had plywood pistol grip, lower and upper handguard.
AKM-63 I - "Infravörös" (Infrared) - Equipped with an NSP-2 Night Vision side-mount. Had plywood pistol grip, lower and upper handguard. All other types below had metal lower handguard.
AKM-63 MAT - "Műanyag Tusás" (Plastic buttstock) - Had plastic grips and buttstock
AKM-63 FAT (refurbished MAT) - "Fatusás" (Wood buttstock) - Refurbished MAT's. Their plastic parts changed to steamed beech wood
AKM-63 I MAT (refurbished I) - "Infravörös Műanyag Tusás" (Infrared Wood buttstock) - Refurbished I's. Their plywood grip changed to steamed beech wood, also lower and upper handguard changed to AKM-63 style (metal lower handguard, and bare-metal gas tube.
I didn't know the very first AKM-63 had wood hand guards. Do you have any pics?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts