AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that a couple of you have posted on the forum about a loophole in your new restrictions that allow you to buy pre 1994 ban AKs and such. Could one of you either post the regulation or a link to it? It look like this may trigger a buying frenzy in your state.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I looked into this gunluvver and here is a link including a written response from the commissners office in CT. dated October 11, 2013

Preban ?Assault Weapons? | CCDL Blog

Edit Note: Hi-Cap magazines must be registered and limited to 10rd capacity. I found no allowance for pre-ban magazines.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We had to register so called assault weapons and so called hi cap mags (mags over 10rds) by 1/1/14 or be at risk of a felony.This bill was signed into law 4/4/13 so after 4/4/13 there were no more purchases of mags over 10rds and no more purchases of so called AWs allowed. Most are reading this POS law and coming to the conclusion that any pre94 firearms are legal to transfer and don't need to be registered which includes banned by name firearms that were banned by name in 94 in CT, one of these firearms is the AK47 in 7.62..There are no preban mags.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, if you pin your mags at 10 rds they are legal? What is their definition of an "assault rifle"? I think it's great that this opens up a bunch of legal options for you to own.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
We had to register so called assault weapons and so called hi cap mags (mags over 10rds) by 1/1/14 or be at risk of a felony.This bill was signed into law 4/4/13 so after 4/4/13 there were no more purchases of mags over 10rds and no more purchases of so called AWs allowed. Most are reading this POS law and coming to the conclusion that any pre94 firearms are legal to transfer and don't need to be registered which includes banned by name firearms that were banned by name in 94 in CT, one of these firearms is the AK47 in 7.62..There are no preban mags.
This is what I could not understand. There is a clear list of banned rifles including pre-ban and yet people believe them to be exempt. Here is the list and a link with all restrictions.

AK-47 or -74
Fabrique Nationale/FN 308 Match and L1A1 Sporter
Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615
AKM
Galil and Galil Sporter
Rock River Arms LAR-15 or LAR-47
AKS-74U
Hi-Point Carbine Rifles
SA 85 or SA 93
AR-10 or -15
HK USC
SAR-8, SAR-4800 and SR9
ARM
HK-PSG-1
SIG Sauer 551-A1, 556, 516, 716 and M400 Rifles
Armalite M15
IZHMASH Saiga AK
SLG 95 or SLR 95 or 96
Barrett M107A1 or REC7
Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU Rifles, and RFB
Smith and Wesson M&P15 Rifles
Beretta Storm
MAADI AK47
TNW M230 and M2HB
Bushmaster Carbon 15, XM15, ACR Rifles, MOE Rifles
MAK90
Valmet M62S, M71S and M78S
Calico Liberty 50, 50 Tactical, 100, 100 Tactical, I, I Tactical, II and II Tactical Rifles
MISR
Vector Arms AK-47 or UZI
Colt Match Target Rifles
NHM90 and NHM91
VEPR
Daewoo AR 100 and AR 110C
Norinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86S
WASR-10
Doublestar AR Rifles
Olympic Arms AR-15, A1, CAR, PCR, K3B, K30R, K16, K48, K8 and K9 Rifles
Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine
DPMS Tactical Rifles
Poly Technologies AKS and AK47
WUM
SUMMARY OF GUN PROVISIONS IN PUBLIC ACT 13-3

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, AK47, AK74, AKM cover firearms classes or types, not names or models. It looks like they actually loosened regulations with the blanket post 9-1994 ban, since the previous ban covered EVERYTHING. Cali's ban went by name, not by type, generating the Off List loophole.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, if you pin your mags at 10 rds they are legal? What is their definition of an "assault rifle"? I think it's great that this opens up a bunch of legal options for you to own.
The mags would have to be pinned before they come into the state and a semi auto centerfire rifle with detatch mag and one other feature is an AW (basically banned all sporting rifles).Also pistols with threaded barrels no go.Rimfire rifle semi detach mag and two other features is an AW .If you had these items they needed to be registered.What does the registration form look like you ask well all of your personal info and AW info two right thumb prints then get it notorized and if you don't have proof that you purchased the item then you would have to do a sworn affadavid saying that you purchased it before the law to effect then get that notorized.Talk about SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED CT is a joke.I think I got all that right

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is what I could not understand. There is a clear list of banned rifles including pre-ban and yet people believe them to be exempt. Here is the list and a link with all restrictions.

AK-47 or -74Fabrique Nationale/FN 308 Match and L1A1 SporterRemington Tactical Rifle Model 7615
AKMGalil and Galil SporterRock River Arms LAR-15 or LAR-47
AKS-74UHi-Point Carbine RiflesSA 85 or SA 93
AR-10 or -15HK USCSAR-8, SAR-4800 and SR9
ARMHK-PSG-1SIG Sauer 551-A1, 556, 516, 716 and M400 Rifles
Armalite M15IZHMASH Saiga AKSLG 95 or SLR 95 or 96
Barrett M107A1 or REC7Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU Rifles, and RFBSmith and Wesson M&P15 Rifles
Beretta StormMAADI AK47TNW M230 and M2HB
Bushmaster Carbon 15, XM15, ACR Rifles, MOE RiflesMAK90Valmet M62S, M71S and M78S
Calico Liberty 50, 50 Tactical, 100, 100 Tactical, I, I Tactical, II and II Tactical RiflesMISRVector Arms AK-47 or UZI
Colt Match Target RiflesNHM90 and NHM91VEPR
Daewoo AR 100 and AR 110CNorinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86SWASR-10
Doublestar AR RiflesOlympic Arms AR-15, A1, CAR, PCR, K3B, K30R, K16, K48, K8 and K9 RiflesWilkinson Arms Linda Carbine
DPMS Tactical RiflesPoly Technologies AKS and AK47WUM
SUMMARY OF GUN PROVISIONS IN PUBLIC ACT 13-3
I am not sure either some say the named pre bans are a no go and some say they are GTG.All I know is that my dealer will transfer them in and I need two AKs before they change the law.One RPK and
one shorter version

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I am not sure either some say the named pre bans are a no go and some say they are GTG.All I know is that my dealer will transfer them in and I need two AKs before they change the law.One RPK and
one shorter version
Something is missing here...what got this doubt started that allows the listed banned rifles to suddenly be allowed? If you buy the two AK's and the law is enforced as written, what then?
Plenty of pre 94 rifles around so acquiring what you want should not be difficult at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Something is missing here...what got this doubt started that allows the listed banned rifles to suddenly be allowed? If you buy the two AK's and the law is enforced as written, what then?
Plenty of pre 94 rifles around so acquiring what you want should not be difficult at all.
I am pretty sure different interpretations of section 53-202m and the letter in the link above got dealers assuming all pre94 firearms are GTG.If I buy an AK with an authorization number from the state thru a CT gun dealer and somehow down the road they say that the rifle shouldn't have been transferred I am not sure about that.There is definitely more than one dealer here transferring them in so its not like its just one rouge dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I am pretty sure different interpretations of section 53-202m and the letter in the link above got dealers assuming all pre94 firearms are GTG.If I buy an AK with an authorization number from the state thru a CT gun dealer and somehow down the road they say that the rifle shouldn't have been transferred I am not sure about that.There is definitely more than one dealer here transferring them in so its not like its just one rouge dealer.
Found it....thanks for the guidance

inclusive, as amended by this act (P.A. 13-220), shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon. . . provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts