AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my first kit, a '82 Romy G. I also have a mess of other (mostly compliance) parts on the way as I got a good deal locally. I was planning this to be a standard Romy G build, but I just bought an SAR-1 which suits me just fine as a 'standard' AK, leaving me a lot more compliance/fun options for the build. I've therefore decided to build a -simple- practical folder 'truck gun' with not too many bells and whistles in basic black.

However, I'm an AK noob (I own the SAR-1 above and haven't had it long enough to actually shoot it yet!) so I figured why not run my proposed set-up past some folks who actually know what they are doing?

:hail:

Here's the bits I have so far (or are winging their way to me in the mail):

Romy G Kit (partial)
Bits missing from Romy G kit
Tapco G2 FCG (3 compliance parts)
Tapco rivet set
Tapco SAW pistol grip (1 compliance part) - I loved this on my SKS, so....
Choate polymer handguard set (1 compliance part)

And here's a list of the bits I'm planning to get:

Ace internal receiver block - AKRBC - I checked out the instructions and cutting the tang doesn't -seem- too hard, let me know if I'm wrong!
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=301

Ace side folding skeleton stock - AKFX-FS (1 compliance part) - I have the fixed version on my AR, awesome stock
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=351

No Dak Spud NDS3 100% receiver (1 compliance part) - I've heard about the Tapco trigger problems and had 60/40 "Go for it!/HELL no!', so this one has been a bitch for me to figure out.

Tapco 'cage' muzzle brake (1 compliance part)
http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=e ... d61a314337

Here's what I need from you guys:

Point out if anything I've picked is known to be incompatible/shoddy. I've searched here before posting, but there's a -lot- of info here to wade through!

Point out better alternatives. The Choate handguards have no heat shield, but I can't find anyone else making a 'plain' set without bells, rails and whistles I don't want.

I'll -need- an optics rail, being as my eyesight isn't the best. I had a Molot rail with a Weaver bracket (or an LPS scope) on my AK'ed SKS and it worked wonders, but I'm not sure which AK (the Molot is an SVD style fitting) rail is going to be easiest/most functional to mount on an NDS3 receiver. I've drilled and tapped receivers several times, so that doesn't worry me. I'm not fond of 'scout' style mounts or adding a ton of weight. Current contenders for optics are a Kobra (AA model), an EOTech or one of the cheaper Aimpoints (probably second hand, I'm not a rich man).

Anything else you think might clue me in. This is a first build and my second AK, so you lot all likely know a lot more than I do about this.

Let the outpouring of knowledge commence!

·
Registered
696 Posts
NCLivingBrit said:
Choate polymer handguard set (1 compliance part)
Look at the K-Var US made sets - they are a little more expensive but have a heat shield as well. Or buy a K-Var hear shield and install it yourself.

And here's a list of the bits I'm planning to get:

Ace internal receiver block - AKRBC - I checked out the instructions and cutting the tang doesn't -seem- too hard, let me know if I'm wrong!
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=301

Ace side folding skeleton stock - AKFX-FS (1 compliance part) - I have the fixed version on my AR, awesome stock
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=351

Maybe look at the Vltor stock extension and some AR stock. MagPul has their new MOE stock out that looks good at a reasonable price as well. If I was doing this (and I'm planning it as well) I would go the Vltor/MagPul route.
Here's what I need from you guys:

Two suggestions for you: A Krebs or Blackjack safety lever - they are hands down a world above the standard AK lever. Keep you hand on the grip while using the safety. Different/modified sights. You can go all out and get the "Big Dot" sights and a matching rear or get your files out and modify the rear notch by opening it up some. This is a very helpful mod.

I'll -need- an optics rail, being as my eyesight isn't the best. I had a Molot rail with a Weaver bracket (or an LPS scope) on my AK'ed SKS and it worked wonders, but I'm not sure which AK (the Molot is an SVD style fitting) rail is going to be easiest/most functional to mount on an NDS3 receiver. I've drilled and tapped receivers several times, so that doesn't worry me. I'm not fond of 'scout' style mounts or adding a ton of weight. Current contenders for optics are a Kobra (AA model), an EOTech or one of the cheaper Aimpoints (probably second hand, I'm not a rich man).

Look on Tantal's site - he has lots of good info on installing rails and has the rails for sale too.

Good luck and have fun with the project.

Spooky

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the KVar handguard and as I was wanting to make the hg a compliance part I've only really concentrated on the US ones and I just didn't like them that much. Too many ridges and fins, where I'm looking for a 'clean' style hg.

Like the Krebs/Blackjack safety levers though, I do admit I was going to miss a 'thumb' safety with the AK. Considering what the part entails, those prices ($40~$63!) seem a little steep though.

Vltor stocks are nice, but I've really come to love my Ace skeleton on my AR and see no reason why it won't serve just as well on an AK, but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Well, here's my two pfennigs.....

Ditch the Choate handguards, get the K-Var clone of the Russian/Bulgarian handguards, with heat shield. You can get them in black, OD green, or plum.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?p ... 296&page=1

As far as an optic, I've had Kobra's and sold them, they're not tough enough or have battery life long enough for my tastes, and the same goes for Eotechs. I've taken 10 training classes from Vickers in the past 2 years and in every one of them that a student had an Eotech, something messed up.

Honestly, and I know I sound like a broken record, get the Ultimak gas tube rail (I know you don't like "scout" type mounts, but believe me, it is the way to go) and an Aimpoint. I went with a used Aimpoint Comp M2 at first, and that set up works, but I eventually ponied up the money for an Aimpoint T-1, and it's by far the best red dot I've used on an AK, it's so damn small and light.

I'd also look into one of the Blackjack Buffer "SWIFT" enhanced safety levers, and if you can't find one of those, the current generation of Krebs enhanced safety levers are really good. They allow you to disengage the safety of an AK as fast as someone using a M4. Seriously.

This is how my Arsenal Inc. SLR-106FR started out:

This is the middle phase:

And this is the current configuration:

Larry Vickers with the Arsenal Inc. SLR-106CR that inspired this set up:

TheKatar with his previous set up, which inspired most of us to set up our AK's this way:

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed advice, nice pics too.

I'm still not "feeling" the Kvar handguards, but I see why the Choate could be a problem, lacking a heatshield..... I was hoping to use the handguard as a compliance part, so can you tell me what the difference between the Bulgarian and USA version of that handguard are? Other than country of manufacture and 922r BS?

USA: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?p ... 296&page=1

Bulgy: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?p ... 296&page=1

My main problem with forward scope mounts is my eyesight. I have a -huge- problem (multiple images, blur, random focus shifts) with "two-eyes-open" optics when I try and use them with more than a few inches eye relief and I've yet to meet an ophthalmologist who shoots who understands what the problem actually means so they can fix it, which means the Ultimak is going to be of really limited utility to me. This same problem has meant dot-scopes are less useful to me than holographic sights like the EOTech. For some reason I find it a LOT easier to maintain a functional sight picture with both eyes with the larger reticle over a dot.

However, that T1 is bloody nice, just a lot of money to drop for something that might not be any use to me at all!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have 2 sets of Choate handguards and 2 sets of East German Handguards, no heat shealds in any of them.......never had any problems either.

get the Choates if thats what you can afford, finish your gun. If you dont like them replace them later. you can always up-grade later. I never did, but I never had a problem with them melting either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if you don't like the Bulgarian style handguards you could always get some of the east german handguards (the top one is regular plastic, the bottom more of a bakelite material) scuff them up a bit with sandpaper and then spray them with black truck bed liner . i did that with my set, then lightly sanded them after it was dry and it created an interesting texture. i've heard of people cutting soda cans to fit in the bottom of the EG lower h-guards to serve as stop gap heatshield as well but i never tried it myself.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Templar,

I was just wondering what the Vltor light mount does that the LaRue didn't? I want to start building up a "practical" AK and a light is an important piece - just wondering what makes the Vltor better for use?

Spooky

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Spooky130 said:
Templar,

I was just wondering what the Vltor light mount does that the LaRue didn't? I want to start building up a "practical" AK and a light is an important piece - just wondering what makes the Vltor better for use?

Spooky

The Vltor is lighter, far less bulky, and I don't have the throw lever sticking out waiting to get caught on something. The Vltor also moves the light further down, closer to my thumb and closer to the handguard.

LaRue:

Vltor:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Circle_10 said:
if you don't like the Bulgarian style handguards you could always get some of the east german handguards (the top one is regular plastic, the bottom more of a bakelite material) scuff them up a bit with sandpaper and then spray them with black truck bed liner . i did that with my set, then lightly sanded them after it was dry and it created an interesting texture. i've heard of people cutting soda cans to fit in the bottom of the EG lower h-guards to serve as stop gap heatshield as well but i never tried it myself.
Hrm, wonder if one of the Kvar heat shields they sell on their parts page could be made to fit..... Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
696 Posts
NCLivingBrit said:
Circle_10 said:
Hrm, wonder if one of the Kvar heat shields they sell on their parts page could be made to fit..... Thanks for the inspiration!
I've got an East German set and a Kvar heat shield - maybe I could experiment for you... Or you can spend the $15 and do it yourself and send me the directions!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Templar said:
Just wondering why you're adamant against the Russian/Bulgarian style?

They're by far the best synthetic handguards I've used.
Just a personal taste issue I guess..... It's the same reason I never used the Choate folding stock for the SKS, even though I could have had one for bargain prices.

In case I do end up finding the Choate guards lacking, did anyone know the answer to this:

I was hoping to use the handguard as a compliance part, so can you tell me what the difference between the Bulgarian and USA version of that handguard are? Other than country of manufacture and 922r BS?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
NCLivingBrit said:
In case I do end up finding the Choate guards lacking, did anyone know the answer to this:

I was hoping to use the handguard as a compliance part, so can you tell me what the difference between the Bulgarian and USA version of that handguard are? Other than country of manufacture and 922r BS?

They are exactly the same except for place of origin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts