AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not SHTF per se, but definitely something I've thought about and dealt with because of winter blackouts. Each winter we will get at least one doozie that cuts power for 12-16 hours. Heat is no problem as the house is well insulated w/ new windows, cooking handled on a can stove or the Coleman, but what about basic entertainment?

We like to road trip so we have a couple Philips portable DVD players for the long stretches. The battery life is phenomenal and they can run nearly 6 hours each. So roughly 12 hours of movies. Even though on small screen it can be easily watched and we have a pretty extensive DVD library. It was actually pretty cool the last time to group in front of the fireplace and put in a movie we all like, mom & dad kicking back with a beer.

For music I have a small amplifier made by Sonic Impact that runs off 8X AA batteries. About 10W a channel it drives a pair of ADS minispeakers to surprisingly loud volume and sounds very good. We will either plug a DVD player into it or an iPod. Battery life is better than 30 hours with the amplifier.

I also have an ancient 1960's Grundig radio that gets AM/FM as well as shortwave. Runs for days & days off a few C batteries. It becomes the main news & info pipleline when we lose power.

How about you? Are you stuck in the near dark by trying to read by candlelight , iPod with headphones for you alone, or does having some form of diversion matter at all?

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts
Blackouts do not happen alot where I live, but when they do, it gives me a chance to catch up on my reading.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
we have some battery-powered radios that we can listen too......but we dont have kids so if we have a power outage we usually create our own entertainment :twisted:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Haven't had many black outs here in Mid Mo. Back in So Cal, I experienced some after earthquakes in the 1970s.

My main experience without creature comforts is wilderness backpacking unsupported from one to nine weeks. This really puts into perspective how much stuff we've confused our lives with (computer, internet, radios, tv, etc.).

During the longer than a week trips, I came to appreciate falling asleep when darkness came and waking with the light. I brought along two books (wilderness medicine and a fiction book) and would periodically hike off the trail to replenish supplies and pick up a paper. I was able to clear my mind of all the effluvia that we accumulate.

I don't think we need a lot in the way of creature comforts. I would recommend anyone to go without all the stuff we possess for a little while.

Haven't done a long trip like that in a few years, should do that again soon. Been meaning to cycle the Katy trail or hike the Ozark trail.

·
Registered
284 Posts
prdtr86 said:
we have some battery-powered radios that we can listen too......but we dont have kids so if we have a power outage we usually create our own entertainment :twisted:
What do you do once that 10 minutes is over? :grin:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The board games get a workout.

Shadow puppets.

Reading of course.

paper airplanes.

listen to the radio.

Draw.

Dig a hole.

Poke something dead with a stick.