AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was poking around some official USN websites yesterday for my work and I stumbled on the recipes for Navy cooks.

All the services use similar recipes, but when we (Army) were fed by other services, it always seemed that the Air Force mess halls were the best with the Navy food very, very good but still about two lengths behind the AF, and the Army cooks waaaaaaaaaay down at the bottom.

This Navy version is close to the Korean War era Army Creamed Beef recipe I use at home (the ingredients, I mean, not the amounts!), except mine has garlic powder in it. (I always use regular, whole milk instead of dried, too.)

I don't think I would need 99 others to help me finish this batch. Love this stuff.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen some people put it over grits or eggs, instead of toast. Even seen some eat it plain, like soup.

They are doing it wrong.

CB on toast with a splash of hot sauce is the perfect combination.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
My maternal grandfather was in the Navy from 1936 to 1943. I remember as a kid him making "shit on a shingle" for me. If I remember correctly, he used ground beef not chipped. I loved it! I think I'm going to have to relive some childhood memories and make some. :grin:

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
got any recipes to share? :twirl:

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10Gauge said:
got any recipes to share? :twirl:
I've tried a lot of variations, but this is the one I settled on for the past 20 years.

---------------
Creamed Beef

1 1/2 lb. hamburger (ground chuck, 80/20 is the best)
2 TBS butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 TBS flour
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste (Add the salt slowly and test it as you go because it'll already be salty from the soy sauce, but I think it's impossible to put too much black pepper in this.)

Brown meat, breaking it up thoroughly. Add butter and stir. Add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic powder, soy sauce, Worcestershire and mix thoroughly. Add milk and stir until thickened.

Serve over toast.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Is this the same thing as what my Air Force veteran Grandfather-in-law called S.O.S. ?

·
Registered
407 Posts
:allright: This reminded me of an old Martian and Lewis movie. Jerry Lewis is on K.P. duty singing how:

" The Navy gets the gravy, but the Army gets the beans, beans, beans, beans."

:beer:

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
We used to have this @ deer camp. Full of ww2 and korean vets. They all called it bird shit on a shingle. We ate in over toast with hash browns and eggs.

They also used to make about the same stuff with cornbeef and they would put coffee in it . Called it red eye gravy. Those old guys could cook.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife and her sisters love it when I make it. They are picky eaters, too, but they are also Air Force brats.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
CDALY05 said:
Oh wow I haven't had this since I was a boy. My dad was in the Navy and used to make this for us kids sometimes.
I wonder how my wife will like it? Then again this probably isn't meant for consumption by women folk. :grin:
You might be surprised. Mine not only cooks it for me, she eats and likes it also! :grin:

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
LOL, my dad still talks about this stuff, he was in the Air Force in the 60's and said they served it all the time. He said it tasted good, but was definitely not appealing to the eye!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts