AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very unhappy with my Waffen Werks 74 at the moment. Took it to the range today and had multiple failures in less than two mags of 7N6.

The description on the web site I bought it from said it came with "the Cadillac of barrels;" I didn't realize they actually meant "the early '80s Cadillac Seville of barrels." Multiple failures to eject, light strikes, bolt not seating fully, etc. Templar says the chamber's most likely out of spec, and my caliper agrees. No idea why it was set to inches, but it says ~.243" at the top of the shoulder for the rounds that failed to fire and ~.256" for the empties.

Absolutely and completely unacceptable, just utter crap. I bought this thing over an AR for reliability and it can't even get through half a mag before jamming. Tuesday, I'll find out whether Waffen Werks customer service is any better than their rifles. Wish me luck.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Really sorry to hear about that Kit. As you know, I've been considering purchasing a WW. Hopefully their CS takes car of you.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Where did you buy it from? Centerfire?
I noticed theirs ships with craptastic tapco magazines. Are you using surplus mags, or US made?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Let us know what mags you are running.

With AK's you really gotta stick to military surplus magazines and NOT use domestic/commercial ones.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the rifle from Classic Firearms. It was supposed to come with a Tapco mag, but it didn't. I spoke to a woman there who said they'd send one out to me the next day, and sure enough my UPS guy delivered it today.

The mags I took to the range are new production Bulgarian. Polymer, with metal feed lips and floor plates but plastic lugs.

All that said, I don't think it's the mags. The fired cases were getting stuck in the chamber badly enough that the extractor was tearing them up.

Here are some photos I forgot to share last night:

I was gonna call WW around 4:00 today when work finally slowed down a little, but then I realized they're in the Eastern Time Zone part of Tennessee so it was already 5:00 there. I emailed instead, so hoping to hear back tomorrow.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
590 Posts
I heard someone say that WW put out a few rifles where the coating got into the chamber of the gun.....

Call WW and see if they'll replace/return it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a response to my email waiting for me when I got up today. They're having UPS pick up the rifle at their expense, so having a better experience with customer service than I did at the range.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha!

I'll update this thread as appropriate. I dropped the rifle off at UPS around 2:30 this afternoon. Usually takes two days for me to ride to Knoxville from here, and I'm guessing UPS drivers show a bit more respect for speed limits than I do. Until I know more, I'll leave y'all with this Tom Petty tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rifle is at Waffen Werks.

Delivered On:
Friday, 09/06/2013 at 2:46 P.M.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was a bit of back and forth about ammo that I found rather discouraging. I was sitting on a reply I wasn't sure I wanted to send while dealing with a bunch of other, unrelated, crap, and then I got an email today saying they had fixed the mag catch and were sending it back. So things are looking up, but I won't know for sure for another 10 days or so. (The good range is about 50 miles from me, and the close range doesn't allow MILSURP 5.45.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I was thinking about getting a WW 74, but there have been spotty reports of their quality and function.

Odd that they said that the mag catch is what they fixed when the issues looked like it was chamber related.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got soaked on the way, but I made it to the range today. I picked up a couple boxes of commercial ammo to try, as well as some of the 7N6 I already had. 60 rounds of Monarch brand and 185 rounds of 7N6 and no malfunctions. (Well, none of the gun. The Vortex SPARC is another story...)

Anyway, long story short, WW has made it right. The weapon functions properly, I'm calling it a win.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
They claim all this was related to the mag catch? Perhaps, but that seems odd to me. See if you can find where they did some other work that perhaps they failed to mention. Regardless, it's good that they fixed it. Their overall turnaround time was better than most.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Nice to hear a happy ending.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well, I got soaked on the way, but I made it to the range today. I picked up a couple boxes of commercial ammo to try, as well as some of the 7N6 I already had. 60 rounds of Monarch brand and 185 rounds of 7N6 and no malfunctions. (Well, none of the gun. The Vortex SPARC is another story...)

Anyway, long story short, WW has made it right. The weapon functions properly, I'm calling it a win.

Cheers,
-Kit
Glad the gun functions....what was the issue with the SPARC ..thought they were pretty robust from what I have read??

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I should probably clear up a couple things here: I'm not a gunsmith, so I don't know what the actual problem was or whether those first cases were within spec or not. The tech who worked on the gun said he did something to the mag catch and refinished the receiver, but he never said he didn't do anything else. I can't tell from looking at it what was done, but it goes bang every time I pull the trigger now and that's all I ever wanted from it.

BadBrad, the SPARC broke off the mount. The screws didn't come loose; they pulled some of the threads with them. Haven't had time to start dealing with that yet.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 20 of 70 Posts