AK Rifles banner

Cracked Receiver -- Need Advice!

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  47_MasoN_47 
#1 ·
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any professional advice on how to fix a 1/4" crack on my WASR-10. I was replacing the wood stock with a VLTOR carbine buffer tube. I've heard many possible fixes including making a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it, TIG welding it and grinding it smooth, and also widening the crack and making a v-notch. I'm just searching around for the best fix. I'm afraid to use it at the moment as the stress of recoil may make the crack progress further. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gun Trigger Gun accessory

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Trigger Revolver

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. That's what I plan on doing. I'm proficient in MIG, but lack the equipment. I'm sure I know someone with the gear to get it done though. Some guys on other forums said TIG would be better than MIG. Does that claim hold any water?

#11 ·
i'd drill the leading tip end definately. there is a pro and con not matter which end you start to weld from. like br7.62 said, mig it if thats what you do best. tig would be the ideal, but you need to have had experience w/ it. it would be telling a baby that only knows how to crawl, to go walk across the cement patio. if i were in your shoes and was a migger, i'd do what br762 said w/ copper, and i'd use a run off tab at outside end of crack. you don't want any kind of crater/concave/undercut at outside receivers end to invite it to crack again, plus, the outside edge more heat sesitive. i'd give it a lil preheat, then start from the inside, head out, and when you hit the bent runoff tab that you have flushly butted up to end, try dig and angle your arc back towards the receiver to ensure outside edge gets it's fill.

#12 ·
aw now ya done did it! no really put some dust on it when dry and find where the crack stops drill a hole there and fill it with epoxy once crack in enlarged or do the brass rod in back and weld like br said. ive shot the hell out of old brittle hesse rec plo builds they hold up fine with cracks most the time not always. make a bfpu clone now you wont hurt it none. you gone done and did it buster!

#21 ·
That's exactly what I thought! I explained it where it was at and how it in no way impeded with function of the rifle. *sigh* I'm in Northern Indiana. I'm gonna get my feelers out. Maybe check with a couple auto body shops and see if a guy won't do it for cheap or a case of beer, because apparently professional welders are too timid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.