AK Rifles banner

what do you think?

• Ruger blackhawk new model (why)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently had a chance to shoot a Ruger blackhawk old model revolver chambered in .357 mag and i was very impressed! now id like to pick up a cowboy action revolver.

first, what are the major differences between the new model and old model blackhawk?

second, what would you recomend and why?

thank you
-matt

G

·
If your just wanting to go plinking then the blackhawk is fine however if you want to try a go at cowboy action shooting then I would go with the Ruger Vaquero.

· Registered
490 Posts
Great minds think alike! :mrgreen: Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC. Especially after I saw the fast draw competitors last night on the History Channel. Man, there were guys there drawing and hitting a target in less than a quarter second. :hail:

· Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what are the differences between the blackhawk and the Vaquero? they seem to be in the same price range.

i know .45LC is a good cartridge but the price is to rich for my blood, i think ill stick with .357/.38.

thanks for the info guys
-matt

· Registered
3,880 Posts
Uberti Colt SAA repro, or cap and ball revolver. There are also some cool looking conversion revolvers. They were basically cap and ball design revolvers that were either converted to cartridge or left the factory as a cartridge gun.

Look into Colt 1872 and Remington 1875.

The Vaquero is basically a more traditional looking Blackhawk.

· Registered
755 Posts
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ModelP ... StdFin.htm

I recently purchased their model P in .357 for $429 and while they import uberti's, I would say they are the nicest of all of the imported urberti's, even nicer than the beretta's as their is not a transfer bar on them.

Timing is perfect and the sights are perfect. Outshoots every auto handgun I have.

· Registered
160 Posts
As a rancher here in New Mexico, if you want the real deal, go with a Colt Single Action Army, black powder frame (old style). You will pay more for the Colt but it will hold it's value.

USFA pistols are nice (I own one) and Ruger offers modern safety features, but there's nothing nicer than clearing leather with a genuine Colt in your hand.

OH58D

· Registered
1,342 Posts
IIRC the older Vaquero's are larger and stronger than the new ones. The new ones are more accurate in size though.

I've had good luck with the EMF Dakota copies, but I don't put lots and lots of rounds through them either.

I've seen several of the new Taurus and Beretta SAA's and they seem to be good quality as well. But if money is a factor, the EMF Dakotas and the older Ruger Vaquero's are the way to go IMHO.

:goof:

· Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OH58D said:
As a rancher here in New Mexico, if you want the real deal, go with a Colt Single Action Army, black powder frame (old style). You will pay more for the Colt but it will hold it's value.

USFA pistols are nice (I own one) and Ruger offers modern safety features, but there's nothing nicer than clearing leather with a genuine Colt in your hand.

OH58D
id love a colt SAA but i cant afford to feed a gun in .45LC. i was shooting for something in .357, that way i can shoot .38 special to save money.

-matt

· Registered
721 Posts
The Vaquero has fixed sights. The first version has a larger Super Blackhawk frame. The New Vaquero has a smaller Colt SAA size frame that the cowboys like better. The "old models" have a Colt type action with no safety bar so must be carried with five beans in the wheel, no round under the hammer. Since 1973 the Ruger single actions have a transfer bar system that allows carrying six rounds. There are no Vaqueros with the "old model" lockwork. I just picked up a Blackhawk Flatop 44 Special yesterday. Its a repro of the 50ties Blackhawk with the steel Micro sight. Its about the nicest Blackhawk Ive ever seen. Its all steel, no alloy gripframe and ejector rod housing. If you want a revolver for general shooting this is what Id get. For cowboy action games the New Vaquero is the one to get. The 357 Magnum is cheaper to shoot with 38 spl ammo but if you are a handloader then I heard the Vaquero is now availble in 44 Special. Just my .02.

· Premium Member
7,560 Posts
My brother has one of the .357 Ruger Vaqueros and it is a hoot to shoot!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.