AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
The Polytech and Norinco commercial export rifles would give a good indication of known factories (Factory 386, Factory 416, Factory 66, etc.). Would be a good start.

KVL, are you working on a book? I've noticed you usually ask very specific questions. Would be great to know if there's new literature on the Kalashnikov in the works.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rayman1 said:
The Polytech and Norinco commercial export rifles would give a good indication of known factories (Factory 386, Factory 416, Factory 66, etc.). Would be a good start.

KVL, are you working on a book? I've noticed you usually ask very specific questions. Would be great to know if there's new literature on the Kalashnikov in the works.
I'm just curious. Sometimes, when I'm interested about something, I like to know as much as I can about it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I still need info on unknown code 0405 ! :roll: Even yooperj and Howard Bearse could not help on it??? Only heard of 1 more besides mine! :razz:

·
Banned
329 Posts
Original weapon factories had 3-digit code. The factory code were either explicitly printed on the rifle (416, 386, etc), or abbreviated:
Code 66 = factory 366
Code 26 = factory 326

The factories with 4-digit code were factories making uniforms and slings, etc.

The story behind the 4-digit codes on some late SKS (never AK) are not well documented. During the heat the China-Russian conflict in late 1960's and early 1970s, many civilian factories started to make SKS. Possibly these non-military arsenal made SKS were given 4-digit non-standard codes.

A high school classmate of mine in Shanghai was a worker in a sewing machine factory and was making 37 mm anti-aircraft guns at the time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts