AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, I've been trying to clean the cz52 of cosmoline, and I've taken it nearly completly apart, I shoot it and the cosmo comes out of the trigger, and shows up in the rollers ect... I'll keep cleaning that as I go, but one thing I cannot figure out is how to clean the cosmo out of the magazine... maybe it'll help if I can get the magazine apart, how do I? Cannot figure it out yet... it's annoying. Is there a solvent that gets rid of it from hard to reach places? is there something better than tooth picks and q-tips to get into hard to reach places for gun purchaces in the future? thanks

·
Registered
902 Posts
a nice bath in gasoline is what we used to clean the sks's with when they were caked in cosmo.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I second the gasoline bath but be really fucking careful. Gasoline will fuck you up. I love the smell of cosmo. I wish they made a cologne in that flavor.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
you can boil it off in a big pot, or a garbage can, full of soapy water as well. Probably a bit safer. I've baked the cosmo out of AK mags in an old toaster oven out in the garage as well. Stinks - but it works.

·
Registered
710 Posts
When I was leeching it out of my yugo stock I put the oven on the lowest temp and put the stock on an old towel and let the heat get it out of every nook and cranny. I kept an eye on it, and after two or three sessions of 15 to 20 minutes it all came out. Good luck

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
i used lighter fluid

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
+1 on the WD-40 .....Probably a bit safer than gas too. Used it to clean cosomo. off all my stuff.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hot water and Simple Green .... You can get it at Walmart or most stores that have cleaning supplies. Its biodegradble and safe to use on the finish. The cosmo comes right off.... Plus it doesn't smell bad either.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Heat gun/blow drier to melt off the bulk stuff.
Then the WD bath to dissolve the rest.

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I use lacquer thinner. It's stinky, but it's cheaper than WD or brake cleaner and faster and safer on metal than a dishwasher, heat gun, etc.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Stazi said:
Boil it in a pot of water for about 5 minutes.
I tried that with some mags in sticky cosmo and they didn't really come all the way clean, is there a trick to it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Simple green in the bathtub, throw that piece in there until its gone, pull rifle out and wipe dry..go shoot.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yeah I use mineral spirits in a large disposable container, I think last time I used a tin foil turkey pan from the dollar store.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
5 gallon pale with a gallon of keroseen. I've used keroseen for cosmoline for years and have found nothing to even come close to cleaning it so nicely. When I do complete rifles (did two cases of mosin nagants) I put the keroseen in one of those rubber made containers and submerge the whole rilfe, works great on wood too but for woof I prefer to put the stock in a large black garbage bag and let it sit in the sun for the day or inside my wifes car trunk, prop it up so the cosmo falls off, works great!!

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
MotorcityMan said:
5 gallon pale with a gallon of keroseen. I've used keroseen for cosmoline for years and have found nothing to even come close to cleaning it so nicely. When I do complete rifles (did two cases of mosin nagants) I put the keroseen in one of those rubber made containers and submerge the whole rilfe, works great on wood too but for woof I prefer to put the stock in a large black garbage bag and let it sit in the sun for the day or inside my wifes car trunk, prop it up so the cosmo falls off, works great!!
+1 on that, kerosene works great and you don't have to worry about blowing your ass up..

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts
heimdal said:
Yeah I use mineral spirits in a large disposable container, I think last time I used a tin foil turkey pan from the dollar store.
+1 this works well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts