AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got some mags in from Centerfire and they're covered in what I assume is cosmoline... (of course I don't for certain, since I've never actually seen/used/removed cosmoline before). Anyway, what's the best way to remove this stuff??

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Boiling water is the easiest of course you don't want to use your fave stew pot.

To thoroughly clean your mag, remove your floor plate, spring and follower too and boil them all. The boiling water breaks the cosmo down and it will rise to the top.

Another method to remove grease, grime and grit is your Coleman Lantern Fuel method. You can pick it up at any Wal-Mart or Academy.

Use with care and in well ventilated area. This will also dry out your steel so don't freak out when evaporation takes place and your mags are gray! Just reapply your favourite gun care lube and your good to go.

This is a fave of mine and this is what just 30 mins of soaking a CDNN police trade in Sig P220 frame with all internals still inside yielded.

Thats a lot of FOD!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So with the lantern fuel you just soak it?, other wise, boil it in water? Easy enough...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, since I'm a little new to this, is there a tutorial somewhere explaining how to disassemble an AK mag? I'm sure I could figure it out, but it would be nice to know for sure...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Yup just soak.

See the button in center of your floor plate? Press in enough to get the plate moving and then slide plate off the body.

spring and follower will then come out.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! This should be no problem now!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Worked like a charm... The wife's a little pissed cuz the house smells like boiled cosmoline, but the mags look great (one of the 4 used was actually new it looks like) and the pouch is awesome too. I'll definitely shop Centerfire again!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Un-dyed kerosene works great too. No bad fumes. This is what I keep in my parts washing tank.

·
Registered
333 Posts
SturmGrenadier said:
Yup just soak.

See the button in center of your floor plate? Press in enough to get the plate moving and then slide plate off the body.

spring and follower will then come out.
YEAH, and watch out for the flying spring of Doom!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I prefer to buy a gallon jug of "Purple Power" concentrated degreaser at wal-mart for $4.50 and go 50/50 with water....HOT water. I crank up the hot water tank an hour before to about 160 and wear thick rubber gloves.

Dump the parts in (I do this when I have whole rifles or a pile of mags to do.) and let them set for about 5 minutes. Take a automotive parts cleaner brush and the goo litterally just brushes of and dissolves.

You MUST wear the gloves, not only because the water is very hot but the cleaner will chemical burn your hands. When done, just rinse with hot water and let dry. I pull an old soaked rag through the mag body to get the inside stuff.

S.O.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts