AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question from a newbie. But, what would it take to build an externally correct 70's era Russian 7.62x39 AKM from a Copes Romy parts kit. I've studied all the pics I can find. So far, all I can see to change is the furniture, rear sight, and proper selector markings and lose the big red "G". I plan on using a Global stamped receiver. Also what would be the proper metal finish? Thanks and I hope this isn't a redundant question.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Just do a little research on the years that used parts similar to the romanian designs. For example: the 1977 gas block is completely different in appearance, so this would be an obvious phony. 1970 or 1971 would be closer.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, seeing how I can't afford one of the Russian kits I see on GB from time to time. I want to do as best as I can and not have some farb looking piece of crap. I'll look closer at the gas blocks.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Here is a pic of the late style cast gas block.

This one happens to be East German and is on my Maadi which I made into a late Russian AKM clone.

If you want to make a late rifle, say from the early 70's until 1977, the cast GB is the way to go.
It is a lot of work to get it off and back on and I would not have done it is the rifle was not a post ban without the bayo lugs.

Since I was going all out, so to speak, I held out for a side swivel butt as well.

If you just want the looks of a nice Russian AKM, then just building your Romie kit and putting Russian wood on it should be enough for anyone but a true Kalashni-snob.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the photo. That is exactly what I needed to see. I didn't want to just slap on some wood and add Russian markings an call it done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Z_Recto, did you grind off the 1.5 on the other side of the gas block? I took a dremel tool to mine because I had noticed the russians did not have that marking and I was being anal about it :smile:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
No I just left the casting marks there.

There are a few other things about teh ARM that are not perfectly Russain, so I was not worried.

The overall effect is what I was going for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts