AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The debate about corrosive ammo started me thinking about why water is the top choice for cleaning. I was talking to the wife tonight and asked her why hot water works so well on corrosive ammo. Being a chemist, she said that while the hot water mechanically removes the salt residue from the metal, water has a strong magnetic property (dipole moment: dipole=2 poles; moment= the distance between poles. Water has poles that are far apart, making it a strong solvent for salts) that separates the molecules in the salt, thus neutralizing them. The hot water evaporates, so all you do is oil and you're done. She said that some solvents, like LPS 1, do the same thing. I asked about petroleum-based solvents and she said that it depends on the specific formula.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Be sure to mix Ballistol @ 10% and very warm water @ 90% in a squirt bottle for good measure. Squirt, clean, Squirt, clean. And then blast with copious quantities of hot water as the final rinse. Then hose down EVERYTHING with WD-40 to displace moisture. Cheap, thorough and effective!

·
Registered
475 Posts
A couple of squirts of M-Pro7 after shooting does the trick, no fussing needed. Then just clean as normal.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
toolbox buddy is all I use now. its unknown about yet and sent from god. I try to pass the word. comes 12 fullsize spray cans to a case

·
Registered
190 Posts
This may sound stupid, but "heat" (aka warm water) always accelerates chemical reactions - so you have that working for you too, besides polarity.

·
Registered
21,777 Posts
pee down the barrel then take a shoe string, put knots in it, dunk it in old motor oil and boresnake that sombish.

I am bad advice dot com

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
pee down the barrel then take a shoe string, put knots in it, dunk it in old motor oil and boresnake that sombish.

I am bad advice dot com
Sure seems like that would hurt, even with the motor oil.....:goof:l

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I toss all the parts I can in my ultrasonic with some simple green and hot water. Anything else gets the same solution poured over/in it. I had my Mosin barrel rust long ago after using windex on it. I can personally attest to the fact that windex doesn't do shit for the salts.

·
Registered
21,777 Posts
Sure seems like that would hurt, even with the motor oil.....:goof:l
Ugh man that reminds me of something horrible I saw and it wasn't even online. I can't even put it here for public consumption.

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
Ugh man that reminds me of something horrible I saw and it wasn't even online. I can't even put it here for public consumption.
Well, we better leave it at that. Don't need anymore permanent mental pictures. Memory is about full!

·
Super Moderator
25,792 Posts
Just clean and oil as normal, and you will have no problems. I shoot tons of corrosive ammo, and clean with Hoppes, or Shooters choice, and never had a single issue ever in over 20 years.

Reactions: AK1776UNION

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
I thought that's what boresnaking was, when you pee down the barrel...all this time I never knew!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Just clean and oil as normal, and you will have no problems. I shoot tons of corrosive ammo, and clean with Hoppes, or Shooters choice, and never had a single issue ever in over 20 years.
This.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
People always go way overboard with the cleaning of corrosive ammo thing. It's humorous. The point is to CLEAN it, don't do like some folks do and toss it back under the bed or behind the door for the next year and expect a pristine rifle the next time you see it.

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
People always go way overboard with the cleaning of corrosive ammo thing. It's humorous. The point is to CLEAN it, don't do like some folks do and toss it back under the bed or behind the door for the next year and expect a pristine rifle the next time you see it.
Always clean inside and outside when shooting corrosive ammo....:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts