AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1971 dated Romanian build in progress and am trying to determine the correct style selector markings for it. There are markings with a pointed A (like this) and another type with a flat top A. Does anyone have a original receiver section from a similar dated weapon to determine which might be correct? Also, has anyone observed the Romanian arrow in triangle arsenal marking applied to any original AKM receivers or is this strictly a PSL marking?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info!
Mike

· Registered
8,049 Posts
For 1971 - "I don't know." - changed to SEE BELOW. :)

One of the hardest things - as a stateside American - is finding clear photos of original rifles that show both the trunnion side and selector side of that rifle - the proof we need.

The earliest "both sides" rifle I have seen photos of was a 1966 Romanian. It had a sharp, thin font pointed A in the selector marks. It is the same set of photos that 74U LLC markings were based on. It looked like it was stamped with a machine stamp. RichardW sold a scrap Romanian receiver that was marked with this early style. Maybe he will grant permission for me to post the photo.

The flat A selector mark was in use for sure - both G and Md63 - from 1976 to 1978. The flat A marks have a wider font. Weaponmark had/has a scrap receiver with the flat A style mark. I've got an RPK scrap receiver with this style mark - but it is loaned out to a receiver manufacturer for study.

The thick font pointed A appeared sometime after that. Stott posted photos of that 1982 G with thick font pointed A. That style was in use for sure through 1991 - perhaps later. I have a photos of a 1991 Md63 with the same style markings. I have scrap receivers marked with this style. I'll post photos later or perhaps start a thread on it.

So that is three confirmed styles of Romanian military S FA FF markings out there.

1 - Thin Font Pointed A - early - for sure in use in 1966. Still in use by 1971 per Stott's photo below.

2 - Thick Font Flat A - for sure in use by 1976 - 1978. Not sure when this style started or ended, but for sure ended by 1982.

3 - Thick Font Pointed A - for sure in use by 1982 - 1991. Not sure when it started.

There may be more styles of S FA FF, but I've looked for a long time. So far I've just seen three.

If I had a 1971 kit I would go with the thin font early style pointed A. I plan to use that style on my 1964 Md63 kit. I built a barrelled 1973 Md65 with the thin font pointed A.

There are also at least 3 styles of Romanian S A R export selector markings.

Reactions: 22many

· Registered
8,049 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Stottman! Excellent info! The domed support rivet jacks me up a bit since the one on my receiver is the more common flat one. Also my parts are actually a flat military style blue vs the dull grayish park shown. When does the slanted muzzle brake show up on these rifles? JMAC Customs has a You Tube video with a 1971 rifle with a flat muzzle nut installed. Would that be correct?

· Registered
10,303 Posts
Thank you Stottman! Excellent info! The domed support rivet jacks me up a bit since the one on my receiver is the more common flat one. Also my parts are actually a flat military style blue vs the dull grayish park shown. When does the slanted muzzle brake show up on these rifles? JMAC Customs has a You Tube video with a 1971 rifle with a flat muzzle nut installed. Would that be correct?
The finish is a matte blue. All the 1982 and prior guns I have seen are the same type of mattle blue, almost a park type finish.

As for for the slanted brake, that is anyones guess.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
I've seen 1994 dated Md65 rifles with a muzzle nut instead of slant brake as well as Md90 rifles.

When it comes to furniture, grips, muzzle nuts - iIt is an easily changed part - put on the one that appeals to you. Change it like a teenage girl changes clothes. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 22many

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went back and checked my finish. It appears you are correct. That will make finishing this one a lot easier. The metal finishing is very well done on this early rifle making the finish look more smooth and shiny.
Currently I have a Romanian slant brake so that will be used for now. Thanks again to all of you who freely share your knowledge here on the forums! You make these projects a lot easier and accurate.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Don't get worked up over the right side domed center support head. A number of countries used them but I am not aware of a source for domed center support rivets from a vendor in the US.

When I learned some or most late 1980's Bulgarian AK74 rifles used domed center support (observed on several scrap receivers, deacts and photos of live rifles) I promptly ordered Bulgarian center supports from K-Var. I received flat head rivets as that is what the Arsenal factory currently uses. :doh:

74U LLC does install domed center support rivets on appropriate receivers that he builds. He custom makes his own domed center support rivets for his own use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.