AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on making some grips out of some wood I milled from a tree in the neighborhood. What is the correct angle for cutting it and drilling the hole through the grip? Thanks in advance for you feedback.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Someone's got to know this.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Do you own an AK or have a grip at hand? I do not know the angle off hand as it is generally not a critical measurement.:eek:
Might be able to do a layout measurement later.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response AKBLUE. I do have multiple pistol grips, virtually every variation. Most grips are "hollowed out" or drilled out much larger than the screw so that (as you say) it's no a critical measurement. I want to as exact as I can so the grip is not hollowed out for strength purposes. I've already done one in Mountain Juniper (aka Hill Country Cedar), but I'm not confident it will hold up over time because it somewhat hollow and such a soft wood. Last week I received a Ironwood Russian grip which is easiest to attempt a layout. I estimate to be "about" 19-20 degrees, I would appreciate if you could confirm.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
I guess I'm not tracking the issue if you have the parts in hand already you can measure them. Dunno? are you actually trying to determine the angle of the pistol grip screw? It intersects the grip angle as measured from the receiver bottom. I was only going to measure vertical 90 degree lines from the grip outer edges to the receiver bottom and you figure the angle.
A Yugo with a grip block with only the grip screw will give a visual as it tracks the grip angle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if I haven't been clear. Yes, I trying to determine the angle of the pistol grip screw. What I'm essentially trying to figure out is if I was to drill a hole from the bottom of the grip up, at what angle would I need to drill it to correctly align it with the grip nut (trying to be pretty exact). When I laid out a grip on the my miter saw it sat approximately at 19 degrees, which should be about the same as the screw. Wouldn't a milled receiver with a riveted grip screw be the same as a Yugo (sorry for being thick, I suffered a TBI about a year ago and some my math skills are not expected to come back)?

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Yes., any milled bock & grip screw should be nominally the same angle as a Yugo., AKM etc., angle.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
A standard stamped receiver grip screw nut and a protractor should give you the angle in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Now if I can just find my protractor. I think I left it next to my slide rule:p. Honestly don't know what I did with it. I assume center to center?

·
Registered
265 Posts
A standard stamped receiver grip screw nut and a protractor should give you the angle in a matter of seconds.
this ^^ , a lot easier than trying to figure out what the grip angle is

1 - 10 of 10 Posts