AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Noob needs some help with converting SLR-106 to a SBR.

Iam pretty clear on the NFA form 1 requirements expect OAL but we will get to that later, and my sheriff is NFA friendly. Im also aware i will have to account for 922

From my readings and inspection of my pistol, the SLR pistol already has the proper rear trunion in place for a side folding stock. Can the rear of the receiver be cut for the folding stock hardware with out removing the rivets and trunion? If not or if so what kind of project is this? How hard is this to get the holes properly in line for the side folding hardware?

I also dont care about the proper flash hider. My plan is the leave the barrel length alone and keep the fake flash suppressor to keep my cost down. Besides i really enjoy the rather large flash!

Now to the most important question. How do i get an accurate measurement with a triangle stock extended for an OAL for the form 1? the barrel length will be as per the arsenal specs which is 10.5"

Thanks

·
1,092 Posts
Post some close pictures of the rear trunnion inside as well as the rear and rear sides of the receiver and I will reply with your answer.

From the pictures I can find it looks like you just add the holes in your receiver and remove the rear plate, shouldn't have to remove the trunnion unless it is covering the pin on the bottom

As for the length I would take what a standard AKS-74u is - OAL 26.5 plus the distance from the front of the FSB to the end of the muzzle device minus 0.5"

IE - if the muzzle device is 2" from the FSB then - 26.5+2-0.5=28"

I hope this makes sense?

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
It looks like it would be a fairly straight foward project. If you search the site I'm sure you can come up with the exact measurements of the rear trunnion and holes.

As far as your overall length, you have to buy a stock anyways. Buy one and mock it up and then get your measurements. Also, with a NFA item 922 goes out the window.

·
1,092 Posts
Conversion can be done with a dremil tool easily. Just drill a hole on each side and slowly open them up to match the trunnion.

Not sure how many rounds you have through it or if you were using hot ammo but you carrier is hammering your rear trunnion, keep an eye on it.

Thanks for for the pictures I was always curious myself as I plan on SBR'ing one too

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Conversion can be done with a dremil tool easily. Just drill a hole on each side and slowly open them up to match the trunnion.

Not sure how many rounds you have through it or if you were using hot ammo but you carrier is hammering your rear trunnion, keep an eye on it.

Thanks for for the pictures I was always curious myself as I plan on SBR'ing one too
Can you please explain "carrier is hammering your rear trunnion" I used wold/tulammo 95% of the time

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Can you please explain "carrier is hammering your rear trunnion" I used wold/tulammo 95% of the time

Thanks
Look at pics 1 and 2 that you posted. You can see the marks where the carrier is hitting the trunnion. A common tell tale that the rifle is over gassed.

·
1,092 Posts
Exactly what he said, you can see the circle with dot in the middle that's the rear of your bolt and firing pin hitting your rear trunnion.

Also in the length, always estimate it to be shorter than it actually is, if you think it's going to be 30" and it turns out to be 29" then it's actually shorter than you said you were going to make it. If you say it's 29" and it's actually 30" it's longer than you said and there is no issue with that. You can always send a revision form in and they will update the length to match exactly. As long as you within a half an inch your GTG just make sure you err to the shorter. Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer so take my advice only as a recommendation based on my experience!!

Look at pics 1 and 2 that you posted. You can see the marks where the carrier is hitting the trunnion. A common tell tale that the rifle is over gassed.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
COJeff, don't forget about the catch on the front left of the receiver. You'll have to cut a rectangle on the front left of the receiver, a hole in the bottom of the receiver for the catch pin, and drill a hole in to the front trunnion for the catch pin. Don't go too far or you'll be in the barrel. I'm assuming that the hole is not already drilled in the front trunnion for the catch pin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figured i bump the thread. My form 1 was approved and came in the mail today. Nice 4th of July present. I will keep everyone posted on the conversion

·
1,092 Posts
Congrats!

·
1,092 Posts
Is there a pin holding it in place?

·
Registered
602 Posts
There is a pin in the top driven in through the rear trunnion. Look under the rear of your recoil spring. Drill that out and it should be easy to knock the rest of the way out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts