AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? I've seen people convert them into AK-103s but if I can find a dimpled Saiga I would like to make an AKM clone.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes. There was one very nice example from 2-3 years ago. nice Russian AKM style with gorgeous wood. Lovely.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the idea from diy that (i think) did one. I'm just looking for pics. It would be awesome to have an AK from the MOTHERLAND!!!!! The only difficult thing would be to drill a new hole for the gas block but I think a good smith would do it.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
metalmole said:
I instaled a 103 gas block on my saiga, no problems works great!
AK-103 gas blocks are 90 degrees. Saigas come with 90 degree gas blocks.

The problem spoken of above is in using a 45 degree AKM gas block on a Saiga.

·
Registered
350 Posts
nalioth said:
metalmole said:
I instaled a 103 gas block on my saiga, no problems works great!
AK-103 gas blocks are 90 degrees. Saigas come with 90 degree gas blocks.

The problem spoken of above is in using a 45 degree AKM gas block on a Saiga.

You would have to weld and re-tap the gas port. I've had it done, so it is possible.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
An alternate method is to tap the existing 90 degree port, and use a set screw to fill it in. Then zap the top of the set screw lightly with a MIG welder to retain it. By using a set screw, it prevents any weld material from flowing into the barrel which would then need to be reamed (not easy on a chromed barrel). Once you've plugged the existing hole, just drill the new 45 degree port (in a different location) and you're done. This isn't very difficult. The hardest part will be locating the new port correctly, and positioning/pinning the new gasblock.

If you don't have a welder, you can use Loctite #262 to retain the set screw. In this case you would probably want to stake it also (using a sharp punch) - this way the set screw would be 'mechanical' retained by the staking, and 'chemically' retained by the Loctite.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I do this there is a gun smith at Gander Mountain that is young and knows how to work with modern military arms. Most of gun smiths around my area only touch shot guns and hunting rifles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts