AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took pics of my mags and will explain what it took to fit them to my Yugo M90. I used the Taiwanese T57 mags that Dan's Ammo sells for 5 @$75 shipped. This is the best deal on these mags, and the mags are extremely high quality. They were made on the US machinery we sent to Taiwan when they started making M-14's for themselves. That machinery used to make our M-14's. At least this is the story as posted in the SG ads on these mags! The mag as it is will not go into the mag well on the M90. A notch needs to be cut in the front face of the mag to act as a mag catch. M-14's use a hole in the front of the mag to lock, the notch has to be through the lower half.

The mag has two layers of metal here. Grind or file just through the first layer. On the first mags I did, I used a rotary file in my die grinder to cut the groove, and I cut through both layers. I found you don't have to go that deep, and the notch area will be stronger. Next, I beveled the upper edge of the rear mag catch to allow smoother contact to the mag release. The lower one is the one I beveled. Sorry about the glare.

I then inserted the mag into the M90 with carrier removed and made sure it would go in. File the front as needed until it pops in. With the mag inserted, you can see the ejector makes contact with the mag lip. I trimmed the lip to clear the ejector. The mag on the left is the trimmed one.

I also trimmed the front and rear upper radiuses on the mag to clear the bottom of the bolt. With the mag back in, look at the alignment of the feed lips with the rails. They should line up, adjust as needed. The right feed lip will have to be trimmed along it's length slightly to allow the bolt to travel. This is where you fit the mag to your gun. I re-inserted the bolt and carrier and cycled and adjusted until all was smooth. I then loaded the mags, removed the FCG, inserted the mag and ran the rounds through the rifle as fast as I could cycle the bolt . This step was done in a safe place. The next outing I ran the mags and all worked without a hitch. After mods, these mags should still work in a M-14/M1-A, but I don't have one to try it in. Here's a 5 rd. mag I made out of a Western pure junk mag. I shortened the body and spring and used a steel follower instead of the cheap plastic one that came with it. It works, but is soft and thin. I picked up 10 of these mags and am going to make a couple more for hunting.

Yere's some real Yugo mags I picked up. Mucho dollars, compared to M14's, but I had to have some originals.

Here's a Galil mag I modded to fit. More work involved, and only 12 rds. capacity, but a good, solid choice.

Here's the M14 mag installed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Pics are gone. What a bummer!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh-oh! I'll start re-posting them. I re-arranged my Photobucket, it must have changed the addresses of the pics.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
would a saiga mag work?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish i had one to try. What's the cost of a Saiga mag these days?

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Re: Converting M-14 mags to fit Yugo M90 .308 PICS BACK U

That's a great idea, I really like that M90

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bloody hell yes i got an m77 i managed to get a new factory 20 rounder cuz i got family in eastern europe but it cost me quite a chunk but needed a pure copy, its in route as we speak, no mitchell knock offs here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts